Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just kind of curious what everyone's primary use is for the Z125 or moreover why?

Is it your main vehicle to get from point A to point B?
Purely for fun and adventuring?
First time or beginner bike?
Racing and/or off-roading use?

Something else not listed?

My interest started sometime near the end of 2016 when I was considering getting a used 250, as I hadn't had a bike for almost 12-years and once again had the room to have one. Somehow I stumbled upon the Grom and kind of chuckled to myself. I kept saying to myself "No way..." Then I started seriously looking into it and noticed how much of a blast everyone seemed to be having on them across YouTube.

As time went on, I became set on getting a Grom. Even knew about the Z125 at the time but had it in my head the Grom was where I wanted to be. Headed to the dealer and checked one out in person. Felt like almost the perfect sized bike and knew I had to have it. Guy at the dealership said I should really go check out the Z before I decide on the Grom and I'm glad that I did.

After sitting on the Z there was no looking back. I couldn't look at the Grom the same again and the Z suddenly become the serious interest. I decided to do a lot of homework and research up on the Kawasaki side of things but ultimately have landed in the Z125 world of things and it's awesome for reasons everyone already knows.

So for me personally, it's intended as a fun adventuring bike that I can do very limited mods to but get some serious enjoyment from on the cheap without breaking the insurance bank as well. I can't believe a year of insurance is so cheap for these, night and day difference compared to the bigger bikes. Gas mileage is absolutely amazing. For every 1 person that talks crap about the size or seriousness of the bike, 9 others love it.

Love that Kawasaki decided to jump in and make these. It's the 1UP to the Grom and ready to rock in stock form!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I commute on my bike during the summer months. I took a new job last year and my commute consists of mostly 30-50 MPH roads. I can take the freeway... if I feel like sitting in a parking lot. Anyways, riding my 1200 in a 30 MPH zone is brutal 2nd gear **** near the whole way home. Just felt like the wrong tool for the job.

My wife and I have this agreement that every time I knock her up, I get a new bike... well... In January, I got the green light to pick up something new. I wanted a mini bike as my thought process was that if I was going to get a 'slow' bike, I was going to get something I can have some fun on... 200/250/300cc bikes don't interest me...

So for me, the Z is for commuting...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Ripping up a kart track and occasionally putting around town. Can't commute to work on this bike, to much highway on my route. I hop on my big bike for that. Currently a Ninja 1000, but I buy a different bike every year. Usually have 2-3 bikes in my garage.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
For years now the thought of a Street Legal pit bike has been hard to resist . The grom just never tripped my trigger . but the Z' did, Maybe because my Last 4 bikes have been Kaw'ees , And was just going to use it around the neighborhood but after seeing its street and dirt capabilities.......... It's On :D

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Ripping up a kart track and occasionally putting around town. Can't commute to work on this bike, to much highway on my route. I hop on my big bike for that. Currently a Ninja 1000, but I buy a different bike every year. Usually have 2-3 bikes in my garage.
Close to the same for me, I have a Buell XB9R with 1050cc kit and a Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic for faster than city use. But I also have a KAYO MR125 for track use, the KAYO runs in a modified class, the Z is destined for a stock class.

·
Registered
39 Posts
my main vehicle is a v8 pickup, lets just say it's not very economical. i live about 25 minutes from civilization so i needed a second vehicle in case something happened to the truck, and i wanted something i could use as a commuter.
i thought about a car and toyed with the idea of a motorcycle. i saw the grom but didn't care for it much, looked at the kymco spade but no one sold them locally, finally came across the z.
as soon as it stops raining every **** day i plan to start using it as a commuter, can't beat 100+ mpg compared to the 18-20mpg i get with the truck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I sold all my big bikes when my son was born. Then I started to rebuild the old honda trail 70's, as that was my first bike as a kid. One day someone offered me $2500 for a 76 trail 70 and I took the cash straight to the dealer to buy the z just for a little more umph than the old 70's had. Since kid #2 is on the way and I have other hobbies, I don't have much time to ride. This is a perfect bike to hop on 1-2 times a week during the summer to get that feeling of riding a bike again, without feeling too guilty of it costing a bunch or taking up too much space in the garage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts