Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am a, keyword, possible new rider on two wheels. I have rode skateboards and bicycles my whole life and now want to gain more freedom by choosing where I can go. I am only a teenager, and plan to get a motorcycle+permit this summer. Not sure about how long it will take me, but I have already done my research and saved enough money. Don't know if anyone will respond to this, as there's much cooler stuff on this forum than an introduction, but my plan goes as follows.

- Start off buying a cheap, Chinese, used "moped" for under $600 where I can just get a feel for steering and what it's like sitting on something motorized. For this I don't need a motorcycle license and will be able to ride it while training and studying for my written test. I will then either sell it or keep it since it wasn't too big of an investment.
- Now I will decide what bike I want to ride in a city. At first I thought of a http://powersports.honda.com/2016/pcx.aspx. It would be so practical in a city where I don't have to worry about shifting gears, and there's so much space since its a scooter. I could charge my phone while riding, and have a glove compartment, under-seat storage and a possible topbox/case. But then I realized I want more of a motorcycle experience. And that is why I am on this forum. I was interested in either the http://powersports.honda.com/2016/crf250l/innovations.aspx or the 2017 Kawasaki Z125 Pro. I don't really think I need a dual sport since there aren't many dirt bike trails in the city, and I heard the Z125 is a great beginner bike.

I know many people suggest starting out on a used motorcycle, but I have the money and am desiring the experience of 'buying my first bike'. And that is how I found my way to this forum. Hello.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hey, firstly, welcome to the forums ! Great choice coming here as there's a lot of really good people and information, and everyone's super helpful. I'm sure buying this bike as a starter would be a great idea. Nice weight, small size, quite controllable, from what I've been hearing at least ! I'm sure someone else will chime in here and help you further in this

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome! Kudos to you for starting out the right way by looking at smaller bikes. I see so many new riders buying liter sportbikes and hurting/killing themselves because they don't yet have the experience.

You'll learn a lot on a smaller bike and develop as a rider much quicker!

It's a great sport!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would start with a used bike in case you drop it or lay it down you won't be out much money.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem that I've seen with starting out with a used bike is that there's usually going to be a lot of service you have to do on your bike. That will most likely add cost to the bike. They also tend to be much older models and thus aren't as safe and advanced as some of the new bikes. And lastly, there are many bikes under 300cc that I can find used, and that's a key factor since I'm starting out small. Also, the price range isn't that different from the 2017 Kawasaki Z125 Pro. I feel like if I'm going to be buying my first bike, it has to be something I am confident on and feel familiar with. I've been interested in the Z125 Pro since it has a low seat height, gear indicator and is very customizable. Let me know if you agree or disagree...

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's possible to get a good deal on a used bike. You just have to do your research. If it was well maintained it won't need much other than the regular maintenance you'd be doing anyway. Key word is well maintained. Sometimes it's hard to know the history. I've bought a couple of used bikes with excellent results. My first bike was an '82 Yamaha purchased in '86. It was in great shape, needed nothing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I love my Z125 pro and I think that it would be a good bike for someone just starting out. It handles good, is easy to ride and is geared great for city riding. Plus, the cost of the Z125 is roughly in the same cost range that you would pay for a good used bike.

·
Registered
143 Posts
True, the Z is at a good price point. Not sure what used bikes are going for these days, but I would think you could get one for maybe a grand less than a new Z. It is a great bike to learn on, but it hurts dropping a brand new bike. And you WILL drop it when learning, most likely. We all did. And still do on occasion, LOL.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you go the scooter/moped route as your starter bike, try to find a used Kymco People 50cc scooter instead of the cheap Chinese ones (these are notorius for having their gas tanks rust out and get holes in them.

Kymco is a reliable brand...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts