Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while I've wanted to mess around with my side fairings and this was only amplified when I got my new seat. Originally I was going to get some PlastiDip and go with that, but the color I wanted was something absurd like $80 per can. So, I took a trip to the auto parts store to do some window shopping thinking I was going to have to get actual paint if I didn't want to drop that much for some PlastiDip. But then I stumbled upon Peel Coat, basically the same thing but a different brand, and found a color I liked so I went home and ordered some along with a clear coat. Overall it was pretty easy, though when I got to the final clear coat I had some nasty bubbling that I could not get rid of on the clutch side fairing so I had to peel that one and start all over, currently on coat #2. I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome overall. Originally I was going to do the whole fairing but then decided to just do the bottom part. I may go back and do the top, but I'm liking the way it looks just now. I think I want to take off the decals, the green lines and such, but I'll sleep on that and think about it some more.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
That colour change on the side panels really makes that seat fit in better! Is Peel Coat applied the same way as paint, or?

Jim G

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did not have to use primer at all, just clean off whatever you're going to spray. With one can I covered both bottom side fairings, one of them twice, and there is still a little bit left in the can. I definitely went heavy on the spray a couple of times too, but live and learn for the next time. After about 4 coats I was satisfied and put a couple of the clear top coats on. Definitely pleased with the color, it matches everything else fairly well. It was very easy to remove it from the one side that got messed up too. I had planned to finish that today but while driving around looking at houses I picked up a screw and had to sidetrack to get that plugged, but it should be done tonight/tomorrow.

·
Registered
933 Posts
That is NOT the plastic I was imagining painting, looks great!

I'll be interested to hear how the product holds up against boots. I think plastidip would probably last half a season under that kind of abuse.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is NOT the plastic I was imagining painting, looks great!

I'll be interested to hear how the product holds up against boots. I think plastidip would probably last half a season under that kind of abuse.
Our of curiosity, what were you imagining? I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it to see how it holds up.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I thought you meant brightening up the painted tail fairings directly adjacent the seat. I think your change is better though, cleaner lines. Changing the dark grey to bright silver would still leave an awkward line where those pieces end.

Your bright-work gives a hint of an Al trellis frame from a distance or a quick look. Anyone close to the bike will realize what's going on but I think it will look really tough at a ride-by glance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look nice, how durable is it?
Today was the first nice-ish day since I finished it. Put about 2 hours time on the seat in and it's held up so far, not that that's saying much. Before I peeled off the one side to re-do it I tried scuffing it up or messing it up and it seemed fairly durable. Will definitely keep an eye on it and update if I have any issues as time goes on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It snowed earlier in the week but warmed up enough this weekend that I put about 100 miles on the bike. There was still some leftover gunk on the roads so I figured it'd be a good test of the paint. Washed the bike when I got home and everything still looks good.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts