Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Im thinking about getting the Z125 for the purpose of driving around on a reliable bike. I was wondering what the overall quality of the bike is in terms of reliability. I see thats lots of you guys are modding and replacing parts a lot due to stunting. I wont be doing any stunts or hardcore driving with it at all. With that said, what type of reliability would i get and how often would i have to replace parts? Sorry for such a vague topic lol. I just dont want a bike thats in the shop more than on the streets! thank you all!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've put 3500 miles on mine with no mechanical issues. I do some light stunts and ride it pretty hard, but mostly just commute and pleasure ride. It's a very simple bike to work on. Break it in hard, change the oil frequently at first, lube the chain once a week or so, and fill it with fuel. Mine has performed well above any expectations I had for it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a little over 4K miles on mine. I do not do any stunt riding just commute around town and sometimes I commute about 60 miles in a day.
The bike is very reliable and it never gave me any problem. I do my oil change probably more frequently than any other because I redline it often :).
My mods are intake, exhaust and fuel controller.
There was this time where the bike had difficulty starting. But that was because my air intake was very dirty. After cleaning it, it starts easily again.
One thing I would say though if you have time look at some of the screws and bolts and make sure they are installed and tighten correctly. When I bought mine my handlebar bolts are loose and one of the fairing bolts were not installed properly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys so much! One other question I had is what's the top speed of the bike before redline? Also will I be able to go up steepish hills with 45mph speed limits? Just as a reference I weigh 130 lbs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thank you guys so much! One other question I had is what's the top speed of the bike before redline? Also will I be able to go up steepish hills with 45mph speed limits? Just as a reference I weigh 130 lbs.
Top speed of the bike is 67mph redline. However it varies if you are in a downhill and the condition of the bike and mods. its possible you can go uphill more than 45mph. I weigh about 165lbs and when I ride uphill my top speed is 53-55mph.

So I'm thinking if you keep the bike stock and in good condition maintenance wise your speed should be around that also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys! Im thinking about getting the Z125 for the purpose of driving around on a reliable bike. I was wondering what the overall quality of the bike is in terms of reliability. I see thats lots of you guys are modding and replacing parts a lot due to stunting. I wont be doing any stunts or hardcore driving with it at all. With that said, what type of reliability would i get and how often would i have to replace parts? Sorry for such a vague topic lol. I just dont want a bike thats in the shop more than on the streets! thank you all!
I love mine it feels solid

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'd rate reliability as good.

I'd rate build quality as moderate to low. Though kind of expected given the price. Dig in beyond skin deep and you see budgetary concessions everywhere. Still a fun bike though. Fun for the money is off the charts.

·
Vendor
684 Posts
I have no allegiance to any company, and like the Grom, Z, and Spade equally. I can say I deal with these companies at the corporate level directly and often, and have always been impressed at the degree that Kawi is a passionate, enthusiast driven company. That's not what you asked I know, but a good side note. I think all bikes in class match up well in quality, given they all play inside price point parameters...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I totally agree with mnnthbx there. Kawi more than any other company I have dealt with seems genuinely passionate about their products and taking care of their customers. I've always avoided dealerships for service and sales because they rarely seem up and up or fair with their prices. My local Kawasaki dealership has awesome prices and treats me great. It's the first time I've really found a dealership that I feel I can trust to not bend me over at every chance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are honestly the best. I think yall convinced me to buy one. As long as it doesn't burn a hole in my wallet maintenance wise, i think I am good!

·
Registered
39 Posts
One thousand miles on mine and no failures.

It does start hard when cold, however. Have to crank for ten seconds; wait; and try a second time. Not sure the reason.

The bike feels solid; the suspension is up to a heavier load. I'm 250 and I've hauled groceries in the saddlebags...never felt overloaded; never bottomed out.

I've thrown it through country-road curves, too...and hit some rough pavement. Don't feel much front-fork deflection.

The last Kawasaki I had was a two-stroke triple; forget the year; mid-70s. I bought it used in 1986; and the chassis was so wonky I sold it with less than a tank of gas used. Wish I had it now; but I'd be rebuilding the whole frame if I did.

Since then, apparently, Kaw has worked hard on their chasses.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not the question asked, but I agree with everyone about the dealerships. Having dealt with all of them locally I feel Kawasaki has stood apart for the better in many areas. I know this might not be the same everywhere, but just my experience locally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive got 1000 miles on mine, no issues. Great bike and I am in love with it. I have never liked a bike so much in my life. I cant imagine not having one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts