Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to throw this out to tap into the creative minds of the group.

My problem is this, my new OTB gen 2 chain adjusters are not working?! The allen adjusting screw....won't turn in at all. ( No the axle bolt is not tightened down ; ). I determined it's because the box shape of the swing arm was mildly distorted due to my torque wrench being "off" thus over tightening the nut when previously adjusting the chain over the past 2K miles. During install I had to "Help" the OTB's in with a rubber mallet the last 25% of the way and now can't quite figure out how to get them out short of hammering against the spool bolt. Any thoughts (or deserved criticism) welcomed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scootertrash,

I will try to get some pics up loaded Friday pm. In the meantime, basically they are installed correctly I just can't tighten the chain OR
pull them out to put the stock adjusters back in.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Just watched the install video ...

WD-40 everywhere you can get into it a bunch of times for a day.

I would loosen the pinch bolt that holds them in , remove axle and wheel , then reinstall axle and tap on it and at least enough to get them back (the 25% ?) to the edge of the swingarm hole , anything helps .. unless you have the right size long enough bolt to go threw 1 adjuster and be able to tap on it.

Then try taping on the spool bolt without the spool , run bolt all the way in to avoid a leverage condition and use a metal punch on the head of the bolt

If its to tight still and bolts look like they will break or the adjuster hole will tear out before moving adjuster ,

I would put a thick strong C-clamp on it tap on the C-clamp

If adjustment bolts are striped and stuck in place the adjusters are probably junk anyways.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kawee,

I like what that sounds like !! I feel I will be able to impart enough KE to the axle and get them moving & out. I'll give it a try Fri and post an up date!

Thanks.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you are bending the swingarm, you are tightening that axle bolt WAY too much. That much torque is probably creating extra pressure on your bearings causing excessive drag if not damaging other things as well.

·
Registered
881 Posts
The 45 ft*lb torque always seems high to me, particularly with a locking nut and a cotter pin to protect you. My swingarm does move a mm or two when I snug the axle back down, but the box shape doesn't deform.

My OTB adjusters were fine on one side and tight on the other side (installed with a dead blow hammer like yours). I contacted OTB to ask about this and they sent out a replacement body which I haven't bothered to install yet.

As mentioned you should undo the pinch plates too. I followed the instructions to a T and the 8 ft*lb torque on those pinch plate bolts is excessive, the knurled heads of the adjustment screws were grinding away the aluminum. You really only need ~5lb holding force with that pinch set-up. If the bike is on the spools the weight of the bike is keeping the adjusters in place, if you didn't get spools you just need enough pressure to keep them from falling out on their own accord.

For the price point they should have used a threaded insert instead of tapping the aluminum.

All in all I'm significantly happier with my Fine Turn Precision adjusters (if you ignore lead time).

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would like to throw this out to tap into the creative minds of the group.

My problem is this, my new OTB gen 2 chain adjusters are not working?! The allen adjusting screw....won't turn in at all. ( No the axle bolt is not tightened down ; ). I determined it's because the box shape of the swing arm was mildly distorted due to my torque wrench being "off" thus over tightening the nut when previously adjusting the chain over the past 2K miles. During install I had to "Help" the OTB's in with a rubber mallet the last 25% of the way and now can't quite figure out how to get them out short of hammering against the spool bolt. Any thoughts (or deserved criticism) welcomed.
Had the same exact problem with the OTB’s you are having. In my case it was the LEFT side of the swingarm that would not accept an adjuster. In my case, I put it down to manufacturing tolerances in the swingarm itself. Hey, it’s not exactly a high-precision piece of performance equipment on a race bike. I ended up identifying where the high spots were and used a Dremel and a hand file to get the left side to fit. As you note, if you hammer them in and then the bolts get pinched - you’re essentially screwed, especially when you go to try to remove the nicely machined aluminum pieces. In the end, the one that fit properly on the right side worked well. The one I “adapted” worked ok. Later I had my swingarm powder coated green and got rid of them altogether as I didn’t care for the look. Ended up with Area 22 adjusters which don’t have the OTB’s high-tech look, but were a helluva lot easier to deal with.

Solved all my problems with looks, weight (stock arm + OTB adjusters = HEAVY), and adjuster performance/ease of use by going to a GCraft aluminum swing arm. See my recent post on this subject.

As always, these are my experiences, along with some subjective stuff thrown in. Your mileage may vary...

JW

·
Registered
1 Posts
Made an account just to post. I'm also having the same exact problem. On the brake side, everything goes in perfect. On the chain side, the chain adjuster didn't go in all the way. I also used a rubber mallet to try and get it in and got it stuck as well. I put a bolt through and hammered it back out, but marred and damaged the internal adjuster. Now I can turn the adjuster but it doesn't move the carrier at all.

I reached out to OTB via the form on their website over a month ago and didn't receive any word. Kinda bummed, because I feel like I wasted 160 bucks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Made an account just to post. I'm also having the same exact problem. On the brake side, everything goes in perfect. On the chain side, the chain adjuster didn't go in all the way. I also used a rubber mallet to try and get it in and got it stuck as well. I put a bolt through and hammered it back out, but marred and damaged the internal adjuster. Now I can turn the adjuster but it doesn't move the carrier at all.

I reached out to OTB via the form on their website over a month ago and didn't receive any word. Kinda bummed, because I feel like I wasted 160 bucks.
Yes, this is exactly the problem I had. The design of the OTB adjusters assumes a nearly perfect slide-in fit, but that doesn’t seem to be the case with several of our stock swingarms. They either distort ever so slightly after tightening the axle nut several times, or the manufacturing tolerances from the factory are not strict enough for this type of design to work reliably in large numbers.

As Greg suggested, you can try to mill and file the adjuster body. I did this, but it did leave some scarring that was visible on the clamp piece. From my experience, if the adjuster does not slide in under hand pressure only (no rubber mallet forcing) then the internal pressure on the adjusting bolt is too high and it will not work properly. If you can turn the adjuster and nothing happens, you likely stripped the threads. You can disassemble the adjuster to check for this.

Good luck!

JW

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fortunately I was able to get them out with little hassle thanks to Kaw'ee suggestion.

As it turns out the swing arm is not misshapen. One of the OTB's is slightly large and I was able to carefully remove some material and they slide in nicely: ) !! Unfortunately, I went back to using the stock adjusters until I get a new chain. It is so stretched the OTB's leave it with just a bit too loose for my comfort level. There is a group ride in my area today and I want to be there !

As always I appreciate the comments and the collective use of our experiences to solve problems.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I still think it's a design issue. If the axle was over torqued, the steel can only deform so far before the OEM adjuster spacer stops it. Before installing the OTB adjusters, were the OEM adjuster spacers jammed in there? If they came out freely, the OTB adjusters should go in freely too. This looks like an OTB design tolerance issue to me. I would expect better for $160.

The Area 22 design has been working great for me since I put it on in '17.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
I Saw a post or YouTube like a year ago where the guy stated the seam-weld inside the swingarm was the problem. Forget if it was just weld distortion or a raised weld height issue. but he was asking where to get a long enough Dremel bit to reach in and grind it flush. so i left a comment to file or grind a groove in the adjuster would be much easier.

Does that look like the issue to you guys ?
Milling or grinding the actual size down will will overcome the seam-weld issue but a groove at the weld interference would be easier

I Dont remember what adjusters ? And of course many people dont post back the outcome like Dean has for us ... THANK YOU DEAN :wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep! Just talked with OTB about this exact issue. Left side won’t fit and I checked the width of both adjusters with my calipers and the the right side is actually .1 mm wider.

Torque setting calls for 47ft lbs which isn’t bad BUT I believe the build quality of the box swingarm can’t quite handle that much and it definitely warps the alignment plates and sides of the arms.

According to OTB the Grom doesn’t have this issue besides being a Honda. 😆

I will add though I did have another issue on the ride adjuster. The pinch block wasn’t machined correctly and bound up with the spool. I was able to work it out but it definitely could have ended up jacking up the threads and all.

Attachments

·
Registered
881 Posts
I will add though I did have another issue on the ride adjuster. The pinch block wasn’t machined correctly and bound up with the spool. I was able to work it out but it definitely could have ended up jacking up the threads and all.
Mine did this as well.

Aside from "looks" and "availability" I really have no reason to recommend these things over a cheaper version. Seems weird because OTB gets nothing but praise from every other product they make.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts