Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got a new z125. Got it at 675miles, just got to 1000 yesterday. I followed the break in and kept it sub 6000rpm on the tach, which is around 40mph for me (with occasional bouts up to 50/60ish). I ride it pretty conservatively (sub 45mph always) and really only use it for puttin around campuses and town and feelin the torque around corners.

-Previous owner changed oil at 500mi, I plan to do so now at 1000mi. I live in east/central Ohio. Weather has been cold and shitty to ride much. I've only taken it out about 5 times or so.

1. How often to add oil? The oil level doesn't seem to have changed at all. I'm not talkin about changing the oil/filter, just how often to add some oil to the engine in between rides. My thoughts: add a little every 100-200 miles.

2. How much oil do you add when you do? Tiny engine, so I'd guess add around 1/8th qt or less. That too much?

3. What type of oil? Brand suggestions, but specifically type (10w-40 would be my guess). I'll probably try Amsoil 10w40.

4. Best place to get above oil? I'm assuming some moto shop, but wanted to know if somewhere specific or online would be preferable.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
1 / Never add oil unless its below the Upper Level Line on the dipstick . . .................... NEVER'..........................
But you are at the recommended 1000 mile oil change per the owners mannuel. Use link below
2 / Same as number # 1 . NEVER'
Unless Its below the Lower Level Line on the dipstick , Then Only to the upper Level Line on the dipstick
3 / Any oil is fine as long as it says "Made for wet clutches" even mixing synthetic oil with standard oil is ok until your next oil change. but then its better to keep it all the same type of oil
Amsoil makes a specific " small engine oil" just for the high heat of the small air cooled engines
.Commercial-grade small engines run hot, with oil temperatures reaching 250ºF and higher. High heat causes standard-service oils to vaporize and exit the crankcase vent, leading to increased oil consumption. . AMSOIL Synthetic Small-Engine Oil’s heat-stable synthetic base oils withstand extreme heat better than other oils.
4 / Where ever is most convenient for you .
Here's the Owners Manuel ... See page 88
OWNER'S MANUAL | INSPECTION SCREEN

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts