Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canister filters suck. The stock O-Ring barely fit into the cover, and broke when I reinstalled. Fortunately it looks like this part number applies to a large list of other bikes. In the morning I will have a friend at the dealer to see if they have them in stock. For now I have to sleep on a broken bike since none of the local auto part stores have an O-Ring that fits.

O-Ring Kawasaki part number: 92055-3018

And just for giggles and whatnot the part number for the oil filter is below.

Kawasaki oil filter part number: 52010-1053, and K&N KN-112

I can verify the K&N fits and sits. Cycle gear had them in stock. Random auto part stores also had what appeared to be the same filter from different brands, but I was just eyeballing those didn't have my old filter to compare.

Mother of GOD be careful with the O-Ring when reinstalling the oil filter cover. So bummed. Also I believe a member by the name of "Lobot" of cloud city posted the fitment for the KN filter. So thanks to him, and he is correct about the filter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Closest dealer that has the part is 2 hours away. cant make it out there for a few days...I wonder if I cut a paper gasket if that'd work...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I live in Florida and it's very hot so I was going to change my oil every thousand miles since the filter is such a pain how many oil changes do you think I could go on that filter before I change it again

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would NOT recommend trying a paper gasket in lieu of the O ring. And while we're on the subject I would not try and source just any ole O ring. Way way way too many bad stories from the ZRXOA board about doing that. There is a well known quality and proper fit difference between "others" and Mama Kaw on O rings. Be very very careful considering going that direction. Learn from the ZRX guys.

Regarding how many oil changes on a stock Mama Kaw filter. These engines are so nuts reliable and well engineered these days I wouldn't think twice about three. YMMV.

·
Registered
347 Posts
o ring and filter same as my 2012 kawasaki klx 20sf

when I bought 2 sets and brought home I realized this
so now I have a lot since I bought some for my klx too a while ago

at least the parts are cheap

and don't change the filter when the bike is really hot
caused me to pinch the oring because everything was so hot when screwing back on I didnt line it up properly

thankfully I had spares on hand after noticing a huge puddle under the engine when it was idling

·
Registered
347 Posts
I live in Florida and it's very hot so I was going to change my oil every thousand miles since the filter is such a pain how many oil changes do you think I could go on that filter before I change it again
I do my oil every 1000
and filter every 2 oil changes

I got used to doing every 1000 because one of my bikes consumes enough oil if I go any further on miles I get pretty low

so its easier to do all bikes this way

plus they hold so little the oil gets recycled more often and wears out quicker

don't forget the magnetic drain plugs too (honda ruckus ones fit)
mine always has metal fuzz on them, something the paper filter doesn't screen out

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hmmm. Sounds like your O-ring did not sit properly in the housing groove. When you get your new O-ring see if it stays down in the groove or if it wants to pop out. If it seems a little tight, you can "GENTLY" stretch it a little bit until it sits completely down in the groove. If it pops out while you are tightening the bolts then it will get cut. And since the filter is underneath the engine it's hard to see this happen while you are tightening it up. I think you would be OK to use a paper gasket as these roller crank engines only have about 20PSI max oil pressure unlike a plain bearing crank ZRX1100/1200 that will have up to 90PSI. So if you can't wait for the new O-ring to arrive you can either use some RTV silicone or thick gasket paper as a temporary seal. Just make sure your new O-ring fits in the groove correctly and you shouldn't have this problem again. Good luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I do my oil every 1000
and filter every 2 oil changes

I got used to doing every 1000 because one of my bikes consumes enough oil if I go any further on miles I get pretty low

so its easier to do all bikes this way

plus they hold so little the oil gets recycled more often and wears out quicker

don't forget the magnetic drain plugs too (honda ruckus ones fit)
mine always has metal fuzz on them, something the paper filter doesn't screen out

You're right that magnetic drain plugs are good at catching the metal debris that is in the sump so it stay's there until you drain the oil. But there is a screen before the oil pump to keep the big chunks in the sump while the really small pieces will go through the screen & pump and get stopped by the oil filter. That filter is rather large so it should be able to filter properly for several oil changes. Just take a look to see if it is still pretty clean or if it's getting dark due to metal powder clogging up the paper. Oil & filters are the least expensive materials inside your engine so replace them often. At least every 3000 miles. And I recommend using the best oil you can afford to buy. But that's for another topic...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts