·
Super Moderator
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks for finding this, I will most likely have them do it and am surprised there isn’t a video on YouTube or others that have modded it yet. Maybe they have and I just haven’t seen or found the video but would be nice to see how different it is at night and to see the difference in available options.

Blue seems like it would be nice. And is “blacked out” just a tinted film I’m guessing? Doubt I would do that but the blue definitely.

MindThreat just did a video and mentioned he would like to change the ugly amber lights to something better ..
I totally hate the yellow jaundice look also .

So, I go google .... Red, blue, and other colors avail'

https://tripageled.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=109_151&product_id=242

·
Super Moderator
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
...is “blacked out” just a tinted film I’m guessing? Doubt I would do that but the blue definitely.
Blacked out is a reverse LCD setup. LCD screens are typically a light background with dark grey/black controlled sections. "Black out" option reverses this, so the default screen color is dark grey/black and a LCD pattern would be illuminated as white (in daylight) or the backlight color of your choice. Also the screen displays as black when powered off instead of light. (hopefully no sunlight induced heat issues lurking there)

Looks like they only have photos of the blackout option. So if you like the colored numbers and icons, spec "blackout". Otherwise you will get a bright colored background and black numbers/icons. Totally worth the upcharge IMO but I was never bothered by the OEM color. =P

Hope that helps!

I would only do RED, doesn't kill your night vision like other colors and with these headlights you need everything you can get.
Red is the best choice for night vision for certain. Though, I am still fond of VWs mkIV dashes. Red needles on purple gauges.

As mentioned above, the blackout option will limit the amount of emitted light compared to the factory dash as the backlight will only show through the displayed digits instead of the entire background.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the explanation. I just figured it was some tint as the picture doesn’t show the LCD illuminated as inverted. Even that would look good blacked out with white even.

Now to choose....

...is “blacked out” just a tinted film I’m guessing? Doubt I would do that but the blue definitely.
Blacked out is a reverse LCD setup. LCD screens are typically a light background with dark grey/black controlled sections. "Black out" option reverses this, so the default screen color is dark grey/black and a LCD pattern would be illuminated as white (in daylight) or the backlight color of your choice. Also the screen displays as black when powered off instead of light. (hopefully no sunlight induced heat issues lurking there)

Looks like they only have photos of the blackout option. So if you like the colored numbers and icons, spec "blackout". Otherwise you will get a bright colored background and black numbers/icons. Totally worth the upcharge IMO but I was never bothered by the OEM color. =P

Hope that helps!

I would only do RED, doesn't kill your night vision like other colors and with these headlights you need everything you can get.
Red is the best choice for night vision for certain. Though, I am still fond of VWs mkIV dashes. Red needles on purple gauges.

As mentioned above, the blackout option will limit the amount of emitted light compared to the factory dash as the backlight will only show through the displayed digits instead of the entire background.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I want to pick up a spare/broken cluster to see if I can identify and replace the blinker flasher... Shouldn't be that hard... Surprised that's not an option here.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the explanation. I just figured it was some tint as the picture doesn’t show the LCD illuminated as inverted.
Sure it does! Pics of the OEM vs inverted attached. Dark on Light vs Light on Dark. (that would have been a better way to describe it) When screen is powered down OEM is a light rectangle, theirs is a black rectangle.

Now to choose....
After I posted about my love of 90s VWs I realized that "UV" was an option which probably stands for "Ultra Violet". Despite that making zero sense because UV isn't visible to the human eye, I bet it's at least purplish.

I'd go UV tach, red LCD, black out, maybe amber turn signal if I'm feeling sassy. Ugh, I certainly don't need it... but I do want it.

I want to pick up a spare/broken cluster to see if I can identify and replace the blinker flasher... Shouldn't be that hard... Surprised that's not an option here.
Email and ask?

[email protected]

Worth a shot!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone actually have a tutorial on how to do this? No videos online, and I can’t find an actual instructional video or description on how to do this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts