Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just mounted a set of Dunlop TT93 tires on my bike yesterday and with the takeoffs I noticed some differences between the shapes despite being the exact same as stated width. For example, stock rear tire is 120/70/12. This means the width or cross section is 120mm, while 70 is the ratio of the sidewall to that width. The Dunlop rear is 120/80 so should in theory have same width and slightly taller 80% sidewall.

Some of you want to slow down the steering a bit and are looking at 130/140 to do so. Take a look at the photo and notice the very different profiles of each tire. Stock has a steep slope while Dunlop stays flatter. It is a race proven tire, so side grip is no issue, but thought you might like to see that stated 120 width isn't the only factor.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just mounted a set of Dunlop TT93 tires on my bike yesterday and with the takeoffs I noticed some differences between the shapes despite being the exact same as stated width. For example, stock rear tire is 120/70/12. This means the width or cross section is 120mm, while 70 is the ratio of the sidewall to that width. The Dunlop rear is 120/80 so should in theory have same width and slightly taller 80% sidewall.

Some of you want to slow down the steering a bit and are looking at 130/140 to do so. Take a look at the photo and notice the very different profiles of each tire. Stock has a steep slope while Dunlop stays flatter. It is a race proven tire, so side grip is no issue, but thought you might like to see that stated 120 width isn't the only factor.
so how does the bike feel with those tires on?

I have a set that I will be running on my bike as well. The funny thing is, I think maybe this size would be a better fit for the bike, maybe even tested with the bike considering the speedo is so off with the stock sizing, I think the tire size you went with should better suit the bike.

The only thing I'm a little afraid of is the handling dynamics of the bike changing, due to the change in swingarm angles.

·
Registered
82 Posts
so how does the bike feel with those tires on?

I have a set that I will be running on my bike as well. The funny thing is, I think maybe this size would be a better fit for the bike, maybe even tested with the bike considering the speedo is so off with the stock sizing, I think the tire size you went with should better suit the bike.

The only thing I'm a little afraid of is the handling dynamics of the bike changing, due to the change in swingarm angles.

angle of the swingarm change will be negligible, only due to a weight shift from different tire profiles front to rear than stock.... handling difference will be felt with a heavier feel through the bars when turning and more effort to lean into a turn. a bigger swingarm change would come from a spring change or a ride height change. and honestly unless you are racing competitively on this little guy its not gonna matter.

I really like the fast handling of the bike, and that's the only reason I don't want to change tires. I would prefer a stickier rubber in the same profile for better edge grip because any pushing on the stocks and they are sliding all over the place once leaned down.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With very few miles on the new tires, I'm happy. The bike is fast handling and grippy, but much less twitchy. Looking at a passing road sign won't veer you into a ditch anymore.

·
Registered
35 Posts
With very few miles on the new tires, I'm happy. The bike is fast handling and grippy, but much less twitchy. Looking at a passing road sign won't veer you into a ditch anymore.

Lol bad ditches!... I like it one of the first thing i would like it to get rid of a little of that twitchyness I like the speed now but it's a little too erratic... How much did they set you back?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol bad ditches!... I like it one of the first thing i would like it to get rid of a little of that twitchyness I like the speed now but it's a little too erratic... How much did they set you back?
Cost me around $150, did it at the same time as oil change at my friends shop in town. I'm very happy I bought better grip before buying an intake or something else.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm with you on this! Will be one of my first mods as well thanks for posting your experience on this..

Cost me around $150, did it at the same time as oil change at my friends shop in town. I'm very happy I bought better grip before buying an intake or something else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts