Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to @crakerjac for giving a kick in the butt and sending me the pinout. FINALLY have OBD2 Diagnostic Plug Adaptors available for the Z125 (or any 4pin Kawasaki diagnostic plug).

To many, the most important part: it will allow you to instantly read and clear codes as you see fit (and turn off the check engine light). This allows you to plug in any OBD2 reader and troubleshoot your bike with a wealth of real time data. Can use either the handheld unit or bluetooth dongle to connect to your cell phone.

I would like to give one away FREE to someone on this forum (including shipping). Canada and USA residents only. Should we do this mob vote rule or have a contest or what? Open to opinions and options. Winner will be determined Sunday Aug30th. Shipped Aug31.

If you don't want to wait PM me for a forum member only discount.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
I would like to give one away FREE to someone on this forum (including shipping). Canada and USA residents only. Should we do this mob vote rule or have a contest or what? Open to opinions and options. Winner will be determined Sunday Aug30th. Shipped Aug31.
Who ever has the most CEL Codes right now wins ;)
Video proof, or honor system :unsure:

I have none right now thanks to you, and me or the wife have never owned a smartphone, So cant even test this for you.

But will be buying one after i buy the handheld device (y)

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
OBD2 Diagnostic Plug Adaptors
Is a good quality one needed and worth paying the extra money
would some have more access to more z125 specific information

Harbor freight or amazon link recommendation would be great ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have this cheap one and it does the job on my car, never used it on my bikes.

I think theres a newer version the 319 instead of the 309 for a little bit more money.

·
Super Moderator
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OBD2 Diagnostic Plug Adaptors
Is a good quality one needed and worth paying the extra money
would some have more access to more z125 specific information

Harbor freight or amazon link recommendation would be great ;)
No, a good quality one is not necessary. A $40 CAD one (about $5 USD lol) will access everything a $1000 would on the Z125. I honestly don't know where all the extra $$ goes on the spendy ones. I have a $650 one that barely gets used because it's pretty old, kind of finicky, touch screen (yeah that's really smart with greasy hands) and expensive.

My $40 amazon one (see link) get's the most use on bikes and the household vehicles. I have yet to be limited by it's features (or lack thereof). Plus a guy doesn't shed many tears when the cord get's sucked in to the chain during live bench testing. Not that it's ever happened to me of course. ;)

The really cheap ebay dongles can be finicky and you still need an app. Some of them like FIXD come with a dongle and an app but unlocking features requires more $$ and I couldn't get it to work on Yamaha or Honda. I haven't had the best experiences with the dongles. @crakerjac seems to use them exclusively so hopefully he will chime in.

I'll leave it up to you guys to decide how to do the contest. That way I can remain impartial.

·
Super Moderator
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll leave it up to you guys to decide how to do the contest. That way I can remain impartial.
C'mon guys and gals. Don't make it difficult to give things away!! I don't care what the rules are, but I'm giving one away (including shipping to Canada/USA) or I'll just light it on fire to appease the horsepower gods.

Either way, one is going away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure if this is a giveaway or a contest deciding discussion but I'd like to enter.

I've been planning out a project to connect to my Z125 to track metrics and create wearables but haven't gotten the time or motivation to buy the plugs and solder them together. For now I've just been using an Arduino, CAN bus shield, and jumpers to connect to the pinout which is a huge pain (reading serial from CAN bus as opposed to just OBD2). My projects are of course open source but I doubt many people would actually pull from my repository.

If anybody else is doing anything remotely interesting with it, I'll opt out since I do have the tools and resources to potentially make my own cable. Just been prototyping with an Arduino instead as it's less work to put together but more work to work in (serial).

·
Registered
788 Posts
@TKJ125 Linky to the repo? I'd be interested in taking a look. That's an area I'd love to make a contribution... Unfortunately, looking is all I can do at this time.

·
Super Moderator
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if this is a giveaway or a contest deciding discussion but I'd like to enter.
It's a contest deciding discussion FOR the giveaway. :LOL:

I was joking with my wife last night how I can't even give these away. Since you're the only one that is showing any interest I think that gives you the pole position on the starting grid.

Your post is exactly what I was hoping for. What you are doing with one and why you need it. If anyone else has interest please feel free to post as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@TKJ125 Linky to the repo? I'd be interested in taking a look. That's an area I'd love to make a contribution... Unfortunately, looking is all I can do at this time.
Sure. It's pretty much HerrRiebmann KDS2BT repo but with serial no bt. It's currently private but I'll link ya when I get around to removing my public keys so they're not exposed. In the meantime, if anyone is curious to how to get started you'd probably want to take a look at these two:

ZGGTR link has reference to 2011 ECU message ID's. Some matchup with the Z125. If you have any ideas of something you want to work on together, feel free to let me know too.

·
Super Moderator
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@TKJ125 WINNER!!

I have to say it was a really tough call with the massive amount of participants. PM me your shipping info and I'll get that on it's way to you today or email to [email protected]. Don't forget to include you're phone # and email so I can send you tracking info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@TKJ125 WINNER!!

I have to say it was a really tough call with the massive amount of participants. PM me your shipping info and I'll get that on it's way to you today or email to [email protected]. Don't forget to include you're phone # and email so I can send you tracking info.
Thanks, Brad! I sent an email with my shipping & contact information. As I mentioned, maybe we can give away whatever I end up making with it? Kinda like a (give away)^2 haha. Let me know if you need me to purchase or reimburse you for the shipping label.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Let me touch on the "odb" adapter again... When I was looking into making these, I noticed that there are connections for at least three different protocols, OBD2 being one of those. These bikes are not OBD2, and many of the cheap adapters do not put the other protocols into their devices. In my case, my good one has the three protocols that I need wired in, I need J1850 (Harley), and KWP2000 (z125). I think I also need/want CANN buss for newer Harley.

So I still recommend getting one that is known to have all of these. My cheapo OBD2 to bluetooth also died very early and had iffy connection. This is what I recommend OBDLink® MX+ | OBDLink® | OBD Solutions or maybe the older (the one I have) OBDLink® MX Bluetooth I've had the MX for four or five years, and the cheapo ELM327 for less than a year before it died.

But all that said, but what you feel is of the quality that you require, I was tired of messing around with cheapo tools and went for the (at the time) best I could afford, which was the MX. At the time it was also one of the few that had Ford compatibility which I needed, I've also used it on Audi (CANN buss) after I updated the firmware. Not trying to convince people to throw $100 at a problem, but good tools can cost money, and to me this was worth the cost.

What I don't know is which of the cheaper ones have all the protocols that are needed.

Also a list of PID to program for the bikes would be VERY nice, in previous discussion, Kawasaki didn't use standard PID codes for all of the engine parameters.

·
Super Moderator
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Brad! I sent an email with my shipping & contact information. As I mentioned, maybe we can give away whatever I end up making with it? Kinda like a (give away)^2 haha. Let me know if you need me to purchase or reimburse you for the shipping label.
Shipped. You should have received a shipment notification from Canada Post with your tracking number. If not, check your junk mail jail.

I guess we could keep the good mojo going and have another giveaway when you build your whatchamecallit. Keep us posted!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts