Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because i ride dirt I did not want to have to clean my chain after every ride (required for the non o-ring chains) I went with the O-Ring Chain. and before i even rode it i noticed a big difference with the drag it puts on the wheel. I spun the wheel with it lifted and after putting the chain on compared to the stock non o-ring chain it would not even go one revolution of free spin. due to fighting the compression fit of all the rubber o-rings which is what causes the resistance. so its easy to see its going to effect performance. but I don't use my bike for high performance riding, so the trade off is fine by me . And after riding today i did not notice any difference , But only because I'm not in any hurry .
The stock chain had already stretched 1/4 inch .
The stock length is 49 3/8 from center of first hole to the last hole ."NOT COUNTING THE MASTER LINK !.
Newbie note:
And use the grease they supply or you will have a dry metal to metal pivot on the link. chain lube can not get in there .chain lube for a o-ring chain is for the "outer" section of the rubber o-rings and sprocket contact Rollers

Also trimmed the sprocket guard to easily lube the chain where it just runs off under the sprocket on to the drip plates . anywhere else it ends up on the bike !

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where did you see o/x at ? ..sounds like maybe it was a brand specific lettering thing or Kawasaki letters ?
there are basically 5 different kinds of chains i know of ........ standard , non o-ring (same thing) / o-ring / x-ring / q-x / n-x
and then other manufacture specific specialty spin off letters ...
But ...standard , non o-ring / o-ring and / x-ring are the common ones

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are using a sealed chain.

*Final Drive: Sealed chain* from Kawa's webpage

https://www.kawasaki.com/products/2017-Z125-PRO
Thats the spec' , but have you actually looked at your (stock) chain ?
i did buy my bike used so maybe the chain i took off was not the stock chain ?

But i did just go back out and clean and checked with a magnifier in case they put a tiny .010 seal of some kind in there just so they could say its a Sealed chain ?.
but NO' its a Standard // non o-ring // Un-sealed // chain .

Whats everyone else got . (original Stock chain)

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spun the wheel with it lifted and after putting the chain on compared to the stock non o-ring chain it would not even go one revolution of free spin.
Update : after 80 miles on the new chain , I cleaned and lubed it today and the Free Spin got a lot better . It go's 1 1/2 revolutions now , compared to the 3/4 spin of the brand new one. but still not as good as a standard chain ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
For anyone else following , and on the fence : For me the o-ring does create to much drag for a small horsepower bike , not counting the extra weight ... but if your riding trails its a must have . i did try to find a 420 X-ring chain at all the big name suppliers . but it's only available in a 428 by DID right now. so I will switch over to new 428 sprockets so I can run the X-ring chain when mine wears out . unless i can find one in the 420 .... anyone ?
Newbie Notes :
Why X-Ring ... Instead of the rubber having an O' shape it now has an X' shape. The O' shape means that it has to compress the rubber when pressed between the chain plates, which causes friction . The X' shape the rubber only has to bend which creates a lot less friction . So This gives you the same great benefit of a sealed chain and durability but now with very low friction.
But still has some friction compared to a standard chain and more added weight due to the side plates are typical thicker

Attachments

·
Vendor
747 Posts
While Oring chains will have a tiny bit more drag, it’s not what you think. Go ride, then spin your wheel after it’s warm. It will spin forever. All the drag felt on the cold chain (which it isn’t when you’re actually riding, is nearly gone... That said, you can run a far higher quality non Oring chain than the stock one.

·
Registered
326 Posts
While Oring chains will have a tiny bit more drag, it’s not what you think. Go ride, then spin your wheel after it’s warm. It will spin forever. All the drag felt on the cold chain (which it isn’t when you’re actually riding, is nearly gone... That said, you can run a far higher quality non Oring chain than the stock one.
I'm going to keep an eye on my chain and I'll most likely go this route if I'm not happy with my chain.

·
Registered
849 Posts

What's the weight difference between a stock chain an a high quality O-ring/X-ring chain? Removing some rotating mass would be a huge benefit on such a small bike.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I replaced my stock chain, which is garbage, with an RK 420, std. motocross chain. Much heavier and less prone to stretch. These chains should have been 428 to begin with. When this chain and sprockets are worn I will be making that switch.

·
Registered
464 Posts
So despite the Kawasaki website saying "sealed chain" in the Z125 specs, the OEM chain is actually NOT a sealed o-ring chain, but rather a non o-ring chain??

(I figure that as a vendor, you guys at MNNTHBX probably know exactly what kind of chain the OEM chain is)

Jim G

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the OEM chain is actually NOT a sealed o-ring chain, ?

Jim G
Maybe Canada or overseas models Do ? It would explain why its in the Kawe' specs
Just go look at your chain.
If the outer plates are metal to metal with no kind of rubber or otherwise type of seal between the plates . Then it is a non-sealed chain . Sealed means there is a seal of some kind between the two plates to keep the lube from coming out of the main link pin pivot , the middle rollers of the chain are never sealed

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Maybe Canada or overseas models Do ? It would explain why its in the Kawe' specs
Just go look at your chain.
If the outer plates are metal to metal with no kind of rubber or otherwise type of seal between the plates . Then it is a non-sealed chain . Sealed means there is a seal of some kind between the two plates to keep the lube from coming out of the main link pin pivot , the middle rollers of the chain are never sealed
Yes, I looked at my chain today, and it is NON o-ring, despite the Kawasaki website saying it is "sealed". :(

Jim G

·
Registered
464 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/420V-120-Ring-Chain-Connecting-Link/dp/B006O83NCO?th=1

420 O-Ring chain under 50 bucks to your door in 2 days if you have Prime. Funny how some longer ones are cheaper than some shorter ones. I'll use my dremel for 30 seconds to save a couple bucks.
Yes, I have Prime. But, it's $50 in the U.S. but $66 Canadian dollars in Canada for the same chain.Plus 12% sales taxes. :)

The reason the pricing looks funny for short versus long chains is that Amazon's pricing AUTOMATICALLY (via computer code) adjust up or down depending on number sold versus inventory on hand, for each individual chain length (like many other Amazon products). So, for lengths that are selling well, or are low on inventory, the price goes up. For lengths thar are not selling well, the price goes down. You can get some amazing deals - or pay way too much.

Jim G

·
Registered
69 Posts
Jim, you seem to be an expert on most things "Z".. I am wanting to make a change for cosmetic purposes. I bought a nice strong gold chain but I'm wanting to get a green chain. The only green chains I am finding have compatible vehicles listed as 50cc with some occasional dimensions of a 110 or even a 150. I guess my question is, if it is a 420 chain, what should be my minimum requirement for knowing it would work on my Z. I have some basic mods for performance but nothing crazy. Just intake and exhaust with plans of a fuel controller. should I be looking for a certain tensile strength? I can't find information on the stock chain tensile strength. Thanks for any possible reply

https://www.amazon.com/420V-120-Ring-Chain-Connecting-Link/dp/B006O83NCO?th=1

420 O-Ring chain under 50 bucks to your door in 2 days if you have Prime. Funny how some longer ones are cheaper than some shorter ones. I'll use my dremel for 30 seconds to save a couple bucks.
Yes, I have Prime. But, it's $50 in the U.S. but $66 Canadian dollars in Canada for the same chain.Plus 12% sales taxes. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

The reason the pricing looks funny for short versus long chains is that Amazon's pricing AUTOMATICALLY (via computer code) adjust up or down depending on number sold versus inventory on hand, for each individual chain length (like many other Amazon products). So, for lengths that are selling well, or are low on inventory, the price goes up. For lengths thar are not selling well, the price goes down. You can get some amazing deals - or pay way too much.

Jim G

1 - 20 of 22 Posts