Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I just picked up my new Z125 Pro. It has a fair amount of mods....

Zeus armor full stunt kit
Rear hand brake set with Magura HC1 13mm master cylinder and P32F brembo caliper from tacticalmindz
Red Hel performance brake lines
TST Industries LED integrated tail light
TST front flushmount turn signals
TechSpec gripster tank grips
Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust system
ASV C5 shorty brake and clutch lever
ProTaper handle bars
Bazzaz Z AFM self mapper
Bazzaz Z-Fi programmable fuel controller

I'd like to get a little more power out of it to sustain 60mph...I saw a big bore from JC without a head for under 200 bucks, then I also saw where some people were picking up a piston and a cam and going that route. I'm not looking to spend 800 bucks to get another head and what not....what's the thoughts?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Most of the Gains are in the cylinder head. A big bore kit without any head work wont be the best bang for buck. honestly I am able to maintain 60 mph with just a $10 intake mod. I would try that first as it not going to cost much and its something your going to want to do for a bigbore kit anyways.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mate go the 143kit with head and cam it makes a world of difference.
You already have the Bazzaz and pipe and with the intake just pull the stock snorkel out of the air box
and put a uni filter on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It also has a k&n intake already as well....I mean it likes 55ish as far as cruising...sometimes more sometimes less...I'd like to get a little more umph to it...I just hate to spend even 600 on a head, cylinder, and piston lol.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It also has a k&n intake already as well....I mean it likes 55ish as far as cruising...sometimes more sometimes less...I'd like to get a little more umph to it...I just hate to spend even 600 on a head, cylinder, and piston lol.
With the 143kit my bike will hit the rev limiter easily in top gear.
I know its a bit of a outlay to get the 143kit and head but its worth it.
When my bike was stock it would struggle going up hills but the hills I'm talking about are fairly steep, The bike would slow to
50kph and sometime 40kph but with the big bore kit, pipe and intake the bike is doing 90kph + on the same hills in top gear.
I'm also running the Bazzaz and built a map with the Bazzaz AFM yes my bike goes great for a peanut engine:grin2:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Kind of going off topic, but why is the head horrible? Did Kawasaki have a power limit that they had to meet for some world classification? Seems that having good flow and better power would not hurt emissions, so why not build in more power unless they had to limit the power to the under 10kw that we have (at the crank)?

Also what head work benefits the performance? Big valves and big passages make the power more peaky and I'm sure the design goal was a wide and flat torque curve which goes well with the 4 speed transmission.

·
Registered
875 Posts
143 kit all day. It’s our go to, and a hot seller for good reason. The stock Z head is horrible....

Any idea if there is a head that fits on the stock bore in the works? Seems like the 'Super Grom' builds are all the rave and I'm hoping that we can (eventually) have options on the Z.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered the lightened primary from mnnthbx and it will be here today. I'm anxious to get it installed to see if it helps out any. I am expecting it to not really make much of a difference on top end. I noticed that the mnnthbx 143 kit does not come with an injector vs a few other places that have big bore kits do come with an injector. Is a bigger injector necessary on the 143 from mnnthbx? I'm really considering getting the big bore as it seems like that is what everyone is saying to go with. Are you guys bumping up the front sprocket to a 15 when you guys do a big bore?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I think everyone is saying go with big bore as that's really our only option. 143 specifically because that is the only BBK that doesn't require you to machine cases. I'm also shopping around for a BBK and wonder if the injector is necessary. MNNTHBX says it's fine, others say differently.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think everyone is saying go with big bore as that's really our only option. 143 specifically because that is the only BBK that doesn't require you to machine cases. I'm also shopping around for a BBK and wonder if the injector is necessary. MNNTHBX says it's fine, others say differently.
Agreed, I've read the same.

One could go with stock bore, high compression piston and a cam, or one could go with 143 cylinder/piston and a cam....but since the head seems to be the limiting factor on these bikes, everyone says to just go the big bore route.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts