Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bough my Z125 on Thursday. Love it so far it only has 60 miles on it at this moment.
My first question is about gas mileage. Tell me it gets better or there most be something wrong. I am only getting half of what I should. It has 60 miles on it and only has one bar left. I though it was suppose to get over a 100 per gallon not tank. James

·
Registered
143 Posts
They only way to really get a somewhat accurate MPG is to fill it to the fill line, reset the trip odometer, ride it around, then next time you fill it divide miles traveled by gallons it took to fill it back up to the line.

For the record, I get around 80-85, but I spend a lot of time playing around in dirt and parking lots. Additionally, I get down to no bars, gas gauge blinking, and i have about 3/4 of a gallon left. My gas gauge is sadly not very accurate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I was riding around today. The guage started to blink and I kept riding for bit. Went to the gas station. Filled up it took 1.4 gallons and I only had 72 miles on the odometer. It showed it was full when I bought it not sure if it was old gas or bad gas. I know the book says keep under 4000 rpm. That's impossible around town. I keep it below 6000 rpm which is showing 40mph on the guage. So I put in 89 octane and reset trip meter I will ride it about the same. If I don't see massive improvements.i will go back to the dealer to see what is wrong. When the light blinks u should have about half gallon. Right
How should I be breaking this bike in. Multiple rev ranges what does that mean.
Rev it up high like I am cruzing at 40 at 6000 rpm than pull clutch in and rev it up to 8 or 9000 rpm. Is that what that means. Any help would be great.
By the way forgot to mention from North Dakota.
James

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it be a bad gas guage too. Before I filled for the first time. Looking down it still seemed to have more had than I thought.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm a firm believer in riding it like you intend to ride it, just don't hang around at any one RPM for very long.

It will show full for a long while after you fill it. Definitely don't trust the gas gauge and trust that the dealer filled it up even less. The most accurate way you can easily figure out your mpg is to fill your tank to the level of that little metal plate in the gas tank, with you sitting on the bike keeping it centered(not leaning on side stand). Set your trip odometer. Ride it. Fill it the exact same way, then do the math. Honestly, as horribly inaccurate as my gas gauge is, I'd rather just have the old petcock with a reserve function.

Don't worry about break it procedures. They are laughable at best, and many tests have shown that RPM limits on break in do more harm than good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have owned my Z for a almost 3 weeks. I have around 215 miles on it. The first time the dealer filled it up. I got 75 miles on the bike before it was on the last bar and flashing. I was like WTF.

So I filled it to the top and it took around 1.3 gallons. Drove it again till it was flashing with one bar. I got 135 mile on it that time. Filled up and it took 1.345 gallons.

So now I am staring my 3rd tank. Hoping it continues to improve. With my last results would a good guess be that I probably would have gotten close to 180 on a full tank. I am thinking i could have maybe gone another 50 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts