Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do need to figure out how to make them more concise without leaving any details on the cutting room floor!

If he had simply and politely asked my opinion of the product now that I'd run it for a short time, I would have been more than happy to type up a short synopsis. But the fact remains that I can not tell you how well they function until I crash. If someone wants to pay for the repairs to bike, leathers, and me (for the rest of my life), I'll crash it for them. But seeing as repairs to me could range into the millions of dollars, I seriously doubt anyone is willing to go that far.

I think the Workshop got on his back enough that he won't respond past what was a personal attack and removed. Personal attacks of that level WILL NOT be allowed on my channel, my website, or my forums! But if he'd like to discuss it (politely) here on the forum, I am more than willing to talk to him still. I'm pretty sure he reads here and may be a member. Just no need to be a jerk for any of this. I get it, the videos are long and somewhat boring. But I guarantee that if you run into a problem, I've probably shown how to fix it in the lengthy videos. (If not ask a question and describe your problem, more than happy to help.

Probably not going to be too many more build videos, just about everything else has been done before me. I chose my specific subjects due to lack of content. I have a clutch repair coming up, does that really need to be covered? I know there is at least one video that covers the steps clearly enough that I get it. Clutch cable replacement with the KLX110 cable? Kind of a simple thing so unless I run into a problem, not likely to be a video. The KLX110 throttle tube might get a video, we have only barely learned of this mod so it might be worthy unless someone beats me to it. And that said we have two forum posts on the subject that detail this mod, so is a video even needed?

Back to the vloggers... All disrespect meant here... We generally call that type of content video masturbation (at work we teach video production, but I'm on the support side fixing things so I get a pass on crap videos :grin2: ). You are either generating the content to hear your own voice, or to pander to monetizing your channel and pushing out fresh "content". I find it truly hard to believe that a vlogger that does nothing but talk about crap would comment that I talk too much. I also find it truly troubling that these people can gain such popularity for what is nothing but rambling about things. I've followed a few for short times when they were maybe building something or repairing something, but once it hits nothing but them doing wheelies and talking crap, I'm gone. And yet with that attitude, do you see me running around commenting garbage on their channels? No I just walk away and generally don't come back. No thumbs down, no rude comments, nothing.

And again, I need to work on making the videos better. I know they are long, and somewhat boring. That's me and eventually they will get to looking better as I do things differently and gain more experience with the editing application (that I use infrequently). Polite comments that are constructive, I can handle (again I point to the Workshop's comments). I'm trying and when you have nothing but feces for me, I'm not going to respond to you very well.

So Matty, if you aren't a member here, please join. I'm more than happy to have polite discussion, even when I'm shown to be wrong (I make mistakes too, and sometimes do it really big). If you want to know something about my install instructions (these are not reviews), please ask, I'm generally not a jerk (until you push me that way). And when I'm being a full on Richard Cranium, you will absolutely know it. I've been on forums for decades, some of them the roughest places on the web, I know my way around.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The short review:

They look nice, I really like the detail in the sculpting and shape. The mounts seem well thought out and everything went together well enough. I'd be happier if they used a higher grade of bolt, but they might have used low grade so that the bolt bends vs. snaps. I can't tell if they will bend the frame or break a mount, slightly concerned about that but what can you do? These no cut sliders all have to make compromises, so they can not sit directly on the frame without chopping a big hole in the bodywork. Also in a crash, since the slider is held on by a single screw through the plastic, I'm not sure they will remain on the mount. Again, only a crash can tell you this.

What I can say is that the Area 22 sliders look like they will crack the engine case, which is why I went with the more expensive T-Rex slider. And again, they (T-rex) look nice which is something that shouldn't be completely discounted.

Overall I consider this a good purchase, at least until I crash and find out something different. It could end up a disaster, it could end up being better than sliced bread. My plan would be to follow up after a crash to rate all the sliders I have on this bike. Might take a while, might take a single day at the track or next time I ride it on the streets.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yikes, then my videos would really be bad for you, but you might not have noticed when the second camera failed.

I may do a follow up on the Arashi rearset soon, mostly positive but there are a couple of things that bug my, the rear brake and amount of force required being the biggest issue. I can no longer lock up the rear tire on dry pavement, can't push hard enough to do it. That needs to be sorted and may take a modification to the arm that connects to the master cylinder. But overall, that rearset seems to be good and far cheaper than Woodcraft or Driven, and much farther back than either of those as well. But also a little higher than stock so the tall guys around here will probably not benefit from them one bit.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Wow. I've stopped using my rear brake all together as I tend to back it in around corners if I need to get hot and heavy on the brakes.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you move your position back on the seat like down a straight, there will still be weight on the rear tire. If there is weight on the rear tire, there is more braking to be had. So for me the back brake is useful, but I also don't want a lot of grip on the thing.

Also in slow maneuvers it is often a way to stabilize your bike, things like u-turns, circle, figure 8, etc.

And for those doing wheelies, being able to apply rear brake can help you stay balanced for a longer distance, but those guys usually get a rear hand brake control. Rear brake can also help you pull into a wheelie, lock the rear wheel and the chain will pull the bike around the rear gear be force. Not so good while you are moving, but something to be considered.

So not a useless thing for many people.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Seems I pissed someone off with this video... It's not a **** review, it's an install video. Don't like it, Don't watch.
You cant do a real review of sliders until you slide on them LOL. Like always mini riders just need to ignore the haters.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did make a "review" that I need to edit where I explained that again. But I also found a problem and talked (briefly) about the solution. Also mentioned it in the clutch install video.

I mentioned the possibility of this problem in the install video... The clutch arm can make contact with the rear slider mount, and mine is hitting. Took a cutting bit and carved out some metal on the mount. No more contact. Not going to edit tonight, don't feel like doing the transcoding, editing, export, and again transcode for upload tonight. But I did get a decent image of the clutch hitting the mount, maybe they will fix the design by carving a groove in the mount.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts