Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I recently purchased a 2017 Z and I'm brand new to riding. I've been running into an issue while turning. When turning I pull in the clutch and downshift one gear usually 4-3 then I slow down and wait for the traffic to pass then when I open the clutch back up the bike stalls. Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
At what speed are you making these turns? My guess is that you just need to downshift more. You really don't want to be under 20 mph or so in 3rd. 2nd gear, which enough clutch, should handle all low speeds, though taking off from a stop in it is probably not a good idea and U-turns should be done in 1st.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At what speed are you making these turns? My guess is that you just need to downshift more. You really don't want to be under 20 mph or so in 3rd. 2nd gear, which enough clutch, should handle all low speeds, though taking off from a stop in it is probably not a good idea and U-turns should be done in 1st.
Ok thanks. That could be it because I'll be around 10mph while trying to open it back up in third gear

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've gotten my Z down to some pretty low RPMs before. . but yea i've never experienced that before. I would do as Twelve said and try to downshift more.

·
Registered
143 Posts
These bikes will tolerate a LOT of lugging, but if you crack the throttle open at 10mph in 3rd gear, it's going to stall. A fun thing to do is take it to an open area like a parking lot, put it in first, and see how slow you can putter around without stalling. These bikes can go stupid slow due to their weight and gearing. I sometimes ride around my yard like this as a stress reliever.

When turning on the road, you want your rpms around 5-6000 rpm and accelerate lightly through the turn. This will stabalize the suspension and make for smooth turning. And don't be afraid to kiss redline. These bikes live for bouncing off the rev limiter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got back from a ride and I turned in 3rd gear going 12mph and didn't stall. This weekend I'm going to go to an open area and practice slow turns and see whats the slowest per gear.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you run your engine really show to the point it almost stalls/chugs your creating excess damage to your motor you really should be slipping your cluch a lot and keeping the revs up probably around 5k. The manual has a recommended shift speed for when stopping only, do you fiend your self often at that speed needing to use that same gear you might won't to consider a gearing change

1 - 9 of 9 Posts