Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I'm insane.

So be it.

Just bought the thing three weeks ago. I've always loved little bikes; and I REALLY love the mileage. Now have 390 miles on mine.

I'm unofficially retired and trying to tie up life's loose ends. I have business across the country. Now, I have a Honda PCX125; but I love how the Kaw rides so much better with my 240-pound weight. I'm ready to do a Blue Highway ride across the nation.

I want to put saddlebags on it, to carry a month's worth of traveling luggage. I have the generic saddlebags; I just need a way to make them hang.

A tailbox would help, also. Just a platform, to bolt on a milk crate, would work...but it seems, nothing's out there.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Touring america via backroads sounds like fun. The first thing you will need is a seat that is comfortable for more than 30 minutes. See the discussion around here for that.

One of these SW-Motech dry bags might work for you.

But if you want hard bags, I think you will need to do some custom fabrication for the mounting.

For a rear rack head over to Japan Webike, they have a couple of options. You might even be able to integrate hard bags mounting with one of these racks with a little custom fabrication.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've found a partial solution.

Soft Coleman Mad Dog saddlebags. Not big, but cheap.

I used a set, along with a homemade tail-box, on my Vstrom.

Found a way to secure them where they sit where they should.

I like that big soft-case, but I'm six-two, and I ride basically on the passenger-part of the seat. No room behind me to put that thing on the saddle.

Ridiculous, me on this little Z, I know - but man, can I whip it through traffic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got some eye candy for y'all...

Now that I've cracked the saddlebag problem...if I can just get some sort of trunk or tailbag mount, touring is ON.

I'm thinking Mexico for the winter. How's the Z run on bad gas? Anyone know?

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only problem that I have with using the Z for touring is the fuel tank. Sure you get excellent mileage but you're still going to be looking for the next gas station rather frequently.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same rack installed on my bike. It works well enough with my Givi trunk, though I am not too thrilled with the way it installs. You have to remove the plastic tail cowl under the seat and it cannot be reinstalled with the rack in place.

I have a different rack from Zeedparts on my wife's bike, and that one mounts only by the four bolts on the underside of the bike, so it's probably even weaker than the Kijima rack. I have not yet tried it with a trunk mounted.

The most sturdy option still appears to be the Hurricane rack from Webike Japan, although I can't say I have any personal experience with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts