Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking to pick up a Z125 today for my wife to ride and for me to play. (This post got loooooong, skip to the last paragraph if easily bored.)

I was lucky enough to grow up in a household that put me through dirtbikes like most kids got shoes. Spoiled? Yes. Awesome? Also yes.

Bike History:
Yamaha PW50 (Ex ice-racing bike for cool points)
Honda XR80 (first clutch bike wooo!)
Yamaha TTR125L (great overall but temperamental, don't miss it)
Honda CRF230 (Perfect adult starter moto, wish we still had it)
Kawasaki KDX220 (my baby, only recently sold, I need a 2-stroke back in my life)
Suzuki SV650 (First street bike, first bike I fully paid for, sold to a friend... I'm afraid to ask about it's condition)
BMW R1150R (beautiful bike, timeless style, very practical, quite heavy and not at all fast.)
Honda CB500X (Purchased for the wife to learn, seat height too high for her... oops!)

I picked up the Honda a few years back with the intention of getting my wife into riding (because being a passenger isn't nearly as fun). I was originally searching for the 300cc street fighter version of the bike, but found the X and figured it had room for her to grow into. I was already used to my heavy and wide BMW so the 500 felt like a big dirtbike to me. I bought it. She learned the basics in a parking lot (including a whisky throttle wheelie) before telling me she didn't feel comfortable on it due to how tall of a bike it was.

The next summer she participated in a MSF course (which nets you a full endorsement in MN) with her cousins and broke her finger a week later, which wasn't healed until past riding season. She still hasn't touched the poor Honda this year.

The Honda has been a fun bike for me to tool around on when I don't want to deal with the fat pig that is my BMW but I don't love the transmission and the suspension is "meh" at best. It's currently for sale. I like the idea of a dual sport, but the things I don't like about the Honda are too great for me to justify spending money to make it competent off road.

Life story complete.

Anywho my wife rode a Grom during the MSF course and liked it, obviously something that small/light is going to be confidence inspiring. I've been casually looking at used Groms since then, but their owners seem to think that their rears are blessed and their 300 miles actually ups the value of the bike. -_- Don't get me started. Well, it's 2018 now, the Grom is a few years into it's facelift (no longer looks inspired by motocross bikes =[ ) and the Z is significantly easier to find. The more research I did the more I liked the Z. So here I am, about the join the gang.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Yaaaay! Success. Having only ridden a mini around a block, I was pleasantly surprised with my 40 mi jog home. Though I've definitely screwed up the 4000rpm break-in rev limit for 33 of those miles. Sigh.

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed, dozens of Groms on craigslist but you don't see many minis out and about.

Commute is from Maple Grove (home) to Minnetonka, a couple fun back road options, a couple not so fun. I don't actually plan on commuting much long term. This is the wife's learning bike, I just want to be sure I get it broken in before winter.

Bought the bike from Cities Edge in Shakopee. They told me they are hosting a ~90 min ride on the 8th for all us new Z owners, said I was roughly the 50th they sold in 2018! 0.o I'm tentatively planning to go. Should be fun to connect with some other mini riders, or just riders in general.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Corgi for Scale

What a badge of honor! Not the first time either, 2/3 of our motorcycles are technically hers. She's pretty hardcore for someone who doesn't ride! Soon though. She's excited for the Z... just maybe not as much as I am.

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought the same thing, or at least she wants to be a passenger. Two up on the Z seems hilarious to me (I felt slow 2up on my SV650) but if your passenger is a small dog? Win/win.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts