Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys from NC, I am new to the forum and looking for some advice/insight. I am in my 30's have a baby and a wife and have already been fasssst. I am wanting to stay on 2 wheels but maybe take it back a notch yet keeping it fun. I have recently sold my zx10 and have always had sport bikes. When I first saw the Z i thoygt it was perfect for my short 5'8". I am looking at the Z over the grom because I love kawasaki and lets face it its just mean looking. But I am unsure if this will meet my needs. I will be riding it to work, about 20 miles where the speed limit is 55 mph and of course around town. I dont think I will ever take it on the freeway but I am not sure if the 125cc motor can handle it along with the consistently high rpms. Any insight is apprectaited, Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I commute about an hour every day, 200~ lbs with a fair amount of hills. Its not the fastest bike in the world...no supersport, but I've had a blast on it. Only compliant is it bogs going up hills, but I'm working on some mods to cure that. Again, dont buy this bike if you're looking for speed. Great for commuting and round town stuff. No interstates unless its heavy traffic, and that would be a reason to avoid it anyway. I'm always riding the **** outta this thing and so far its kept going 1k~ miles. My girlfriend is about half my weight and loves her bike, she also commutes on it and has zero complaints...but its her first bike so she doesn't have a basis for comparison. 100mpg aint bad, but the 1.5~ gallon tank is a little bothersome, gotta refuel often. Overall I dig it. About to try out my new intake and see how that helps it breathe(only mod thus far). Not a zx10, you will not be impressed by its acceleration or top speed(67 banging on rev limiter going downhill) but it holds up well enough in turns. Again, I'm happy with it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apprectiate the awesome reply. I know it's not a supersport and I am not expecting that. If I can make it to work I will be happy. Just wanted to make sure that it would fit the bill since I will be paying cash for it. What is the better of the exhaust? Saw a grom with a m4 but I don't thonk there made for the Z yet. And last but not least how did you get one being in GA? I'm in NC and the dealer's up here are back ordered!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I apprectiate the awesome reply. I know it's not a supersport and I am not expecting that. If I can make it to work I will be happy. Just wanted to make sure that it would fit the bill since I will be paying cash for it. What is the better of the exhaust? Saw a grom with a m4 but I don't thonk there made for the Z yet. And last but not least how did you get one being in GA? I'm in NC and the dealer's up here are back ordered!
This is a pre-release bike and dealers were allotted 1 each. Being a pre-release, there isn't much available from the aftermarket yet when compared to the Grom. I believe the only big name exhaust available at the moment is the Yoshimura. There is a Leo-Vince slip on that someone is selling with a custom header. all other available at the moment come from Asia. Two Brothers and Brock's Performance are planning to release exhausts soon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I commute about an hour every day, 200~ lbs with a fair amount of hills. Its not the fastest bike in the world...no supersport, but I've had a blast on it. Only compliant is it bogs going up hills, but I'm working on some mods to cure that. Again, dont buy this bike if you're looking for speed. Great for commuting and round town stuff. No interstates unless its heavy traffic, and that would be a reason to avoid it anyway. I'm always riding the **** outta this thing and so far its kept going 1k~ miles. My girlfriend is about half my weight and loves her bike, she also commutes on it and has zero complaints...but its her first bike so she doesn't have a basis for comparison. 100mpg aint bad, but the 1.5~ gallon tank is a little bothersome, gotta refuel often. Overall I dig it. About to try out my new intake and see how that helps it breathe(only mod thus far). Not a zx10, you will not be impressed by its acceleration or top speed(67 banging on rev limiter going downhill) but it holds up well enough in turns. Again, I'm happy with it!
Do you have a fuel controller installed? I suggest getting one before installing the intake. Without a fuel controller you will lose top speed. I discovered it the expensive way, fuel controller on the way. :laugh:

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is a pre-release bike and dealers were allotted 1 each. Being a pre-release, there isn't much available from the aftermarket yet when compared to the Grom. I believe the only big name exhaust available at the moment is the Yoshimura. There is a Leo-Vince slip on that someone is selling with a custom header. all other available at the moment come from Asia. Two Brothers and Brock's Performance are planning to release exhausts soon.
VersysRider, could you kindly elaborate on your "pre-release" bike statement? I'm a little confused by what you said as I thought all North American Zs currently being sold were version 1.0 models and not beta editions!

Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
VersysRider, could you kindly elaborate on your "pre-release" bike statement? I'm a little confused by what you said as I thought all North American Zs currently being sold were version 1.0 models and not beta editions!

Thanks!
Technically they are v1.0 models. Pre-release means a few are sold in the prior model year. The current Z125 in the US is a 2017 model, which generally would not be available for sale until late August/early September 2017. Each dealer only got 1 in their first shipment (a few got none). Once the shock issue is sorted, manufacturing will ramp up and dealers will start getting more. My guess is by the end of September your local Kawasaki shop will be flooded with Z125's.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Technically they are v1.0 models. Pre-release means a few are sold in the prior model year. The current Z125 in the US is a 2017 model, which generally would not be available for sale until late August/early September 2017. Each dealer only got 1 in their first shipment (a few got none). Once the shock issue is sorted, manufacturing will ramp up and dealers will start getting more. My guess is by the end of September your local Kawasaki shop will be flooded with Z125's.
That makes sense. Yeah, props to Kawi for getting the Z out... but it's a shame about the rear shock. I've got something going on with my front forks as well. I'll be giving my dealer a call tomorrow morning to inquire about the recall and hopefully get the forks sorted out. I hope the parts backlog isn't too bad. I waited so long to get the bike... and now it looks like I'm gonna have to wait again for repair work and parts replacement.

Hmmm, come to think of it... I had issues with my first year BRZ as well. I guess that's the price we pay for being early adopters and enjoying life on the bleeding edge!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had not even heard there was an issue with the rear shock! Any other issues??? I have a friend in cali who got one and after 100 miles the wheel bearing went out and the front forks began leaking!!! Perhaps I will wait till the beginning of the year to buy one. I am dead set on one though, the more I read the more I want one (must be green). What's is the deal with the fuel controller? main upgrades will be a pipe, intake and levers...possibly a fuel controller.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nah no fuel controller, just the intake...it is loud as ****! but no top speed loss, I can reach it a little easier now tho.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nah no fuel controller, just the intake...it is loud as ****! but no top speed loss, I can reach it a little easier now tho.
I am assuming the fuel controller is like a power commander? Why is the dang thing cost so much, it cost more then a full size bike. I cant believe house much the pipes cost either,I had a pipe on my zx10 AND I swear it was cheaper then the little one for the "Z"

·
Registered
92 Posts
Like annoyingly wish I hadn't bought this kind of loud??

Which one did you go with it? Are you running the stock exhaust?

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Like annoyingly wish I hadn't bought this kind of loud??

Which one did you go with it? Are you running the stock exhaust?

Thanks.
Nah, just more motivation to get an exhaust. More noise is better, stock exhaust makes none got the Chimera

1 - 13 of 13 Posts