Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... In the future.
What this is about is, what changes would you like to see on the next Gen Z? Keep in mind we'll still have to keep it cost conscious.

Little bit larger cluster with more info and color variations. Yes, this can be inexpensive.

Larger area for key switch.

Full LED lighting...

I'll stop here cause I could go on.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The key switch is a serious pain, why did they do this?

LED only makes sense, but as this is an economy bike, cheapo Stanley 35 watt headlights are the norm. But turns should be cheap enough to do, we can buy aftermarket units (not DOT rated) for next to nothing, and the stop is already LED.

I'd like to see a flat seat section for the frame, easier to mod than the steep angle the frame is at now.

Better clutch, mine has a problem at only 35 miles.

Serviceable shock, even if it is still a cheap shock. Just something you can unscrew a cap and pull it apart to clean and refresh the oil (and maybe get an internal upgrade kit later).

More power without killing emissions, everyone says the head flows poorly, seems this could be fixed without costing additional money and without raising emissions. This would put it above the Grom in performance.

I'm fine with the cluster, it works well enough for me. The only addition would be a progressive shift light, but I'll add that on my own when I'm ready http://www.minigp-racing.com/joomla...-articles/62-shift-light-and-tachometer-part1

·
Registered
875 Posts
Spin on oil filter. Larger area for the key ignition. Rest of the bike is good enough for what it is.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking Kawi would do at least the LED since the Ninja 400 got 'em and the price remained the same. This would keep up with the competition. The spin-on oil filter in my opinion would be for convenience sake so no need to change than since they are already ahead of the comp there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm thinking with the way new two stroke engines are these days they could put maybe a 150 water cooled in the little z
and it would go fantastic.
I don't think the cost would increase much either but If the z could pull 160 or so I wouldn't bother having a bigger bike in the shed.

·
Registered
585 Posts
They can't do a single thing that raises the cost of the bike, so water cooled... nope. larger cc... nope. Nobody wants a bike like this to cost MORE, so you guys really need to think through your requests. Just be glad we get a gear indicator and fuel level at this price point.

A more comfortable seat and a gas tank knee cut-out that works for normal size Americans would be basically free factory upgrades.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
I wish they would lift up the handle bars and roll a KSR underneath it :grin2:

Or just the Carburetor KSR motor / It Should save them money
The Z' is sold well know as a budget bike
And does a Mini really need fuel injection :rolleyes:
First thing most all people want is the exhaust and intake mod
Gotta think most people that buy these Z's are not willing to do the high costs of the high performance electronics and have to figure it all out once you put a exhaust and intake on it. (like me)

But most people would spend 10 bucks on jets
Dont think it would effect sales to the Extreme Motor Modder's
They will figure out how to make anything get up and run :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’d leave the basic z125 alone. Some cosmetic updates to keep it fresh, sure. Push the design aesthetic a little further.

Any improvements over current stock would drive the price up on the base model. It’s the cheap that for most of us into it (followed by a stupid amount of money in upgrades).

What WOULD be cool IMHO is a special edition version that was more than just decals. Small stuff could be enhanced suspension / brakes / exhaust.

I’d love to see a fireball version ... 175cc water cooled - built on the same frame.

Turbo. Rocket and machine gun add ons. They can fire pellets. All in good fun. Maybe this starts a z125 road combat league. Like paintball meets racecourse.

Wait ... what was the topic 😬

·
Registered
982 Posts
We need to remember that this is a world bike. Because of this, you need to meet the most strict emissions for economy of scale, all of them get the same things. We also need to remember that in many countries (like where they first sold this design), there are graduated license levels with many starting at around the 9kw power range.

I saw a video on youtube from an EU country where they had police setting up a portable dyno and flagging ever scooter and motorcycle through the check point. Can't find the video now.

·
Registered
982 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
I suppose the z is what it is and at least we can run big bore kits.
But when I think about it I would rather buy the z all decked out with a 200 engine stock from the factory and then add pipe and intake mods. I know it would cost a bit more but I'm thinking if the extra cost was the same as buying the big bore kit it wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’d leave the basic z125 alone. Some cosmetic updates to keep it fresh, sure. Push the design aesthetic a little further.

Any improvements over current stock would drive the price up on the base model. It’s the cheap that for most of us into it (followed by a stupid amount of money in upgrades).

What WOULD be cool IMHO is a special edition version that was more than just decals. Small stuff could be enhanced suspension / brakes / exhaust.

I’d love to see a fireball version ... 175cc water cooled - built on the same frame.

Turbo. Rocket and machine gun add ons. They can fire pellets. All in good fun. Maybe this starts a z125 road combat league. Like paintball meets racecourse.

Wait ... what was the topic 😬
Why even mention WC? Its not needed, i hate the complexity. Remember all the air/oil cooled sportbikes? WC isn't needed.

There's no way they would go back in time and go carbureted on this bike. That would make no sense at all. The masses want fuel injection.

Reactions: dlycan2
1 - 14 of 14 Posts