Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new here, but I've owned my z for about a year. I CANNOT find answers online anywhere for what I'm experiencing.

My clutch lever has wayyy to much play, and wont engage the clutch fully. I have adjusted both up top and below to try and take out the slack, but nothings working. It's almost like something is loose somewhere else. I can take some pics for reference if anyone is unsure what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I use to have the normal clutch engagement that was fairly early for motorcycles in my experience. One night while riding it just felt like something snapped or came loose. I thought my lower adjustment was the issue like the vibration loosened the nuts, but after putting it to the furthest it will allow, it hardly engages the clutch. Bad enough I cant start the bike in first because it will try to take off, I wonder if the cable is stretched or maybe partially broken? But the lower clutch arm, doesnt seem to pull back as far as it use too...

·
Registered
909 Posts
You probably have a broken cable, normally happens when you raise the bars and cause the cable to be more sharply bent, but not limited to this condition.

I'd remove the cable and give it a look. Actually I'd just remove the cable and swap it for a KLX110 cable like most other people have done, mine is still waiting for this change.

·
Super Moderator
257 Posts
Something struck me as odd the way you mentioned it. Could just be a misunderstanding on my part.

"My clutch isn't fully engaging so I adjusted it to take out the slack". If your clutch is not engaging fully, you need more slack. To the point where you will actually have a bit of free-play where you can move the lever about an 1/8th inch before it even pulls on the cable.

If the clutch isn't DISengaging fully, you need to tighten up the cable and take up the slack. If you're at max adjustment and top and bottom and there is still slack then you likely have a broken cable like Greg_E mentioned.

Reading the second paragraph, it sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaging. It's common for these to be not properly installed (seated in the cable housing pockets) and then have the cable ferrule slip in to it's channel at some random point during a ride. This would totally explain the part where you said "felt like something snapped or came loose".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for clearing up my terminology. I always get the two mixed up. What you said sounds dead on, although upon inspection it doesnt look like it is out, I can feel a friction like its rubbing somewhere unusual. It cant be completely broken though cause it still partially is able to disengage the clutch when pulled all the way in. I appreciate the replies and will pull out the cable and give it a better look.
Is there anything I should look for to see if it's done what you mentioned about the pockets and the ferrule slipping into the channel? I'm not familiar with all these terms yet so forgive me for the learning curve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay I pulled the cable and even though its stuck in its casing, I can see some fraying on one side so theres a good chance maybe it unraveled or stretched?

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts