Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://https://youtu.be/MYmfpFeiRA8 Need Help. Today I noticed when warming the bike up, a short rattle around 3k rpm on rev up/down. I've got about 250 miles on the dash, haven't ragged on it, dumped it etc. oil is good and all bolts/nuts/fasteners are snug. Sound seems to be coming from right side, around the clutch area. Doesn't seem to be affecting anything, shifting, take off and downshifting is all fine. But it's bothering the heck out of me. I'm wary of driving it anymore until the dealer opens Tues and I can take it there, but I wanted to get yalls take. Any help / comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I hear it more when the rpm falls after the initial rev. No idea what it could be and after looking around, all I saw someone mention something about a lower mounting tab on the radiator that supports the fan. But this wasn't on a Z125, it was on another kawasaki model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does the sound go away when you pull in the clutch ?

Auto cam chain tensioners are pretty prone to failure i know ive had a few kawasaki ones let go (dirtbikes) and cause wicked chain slap on decel.

Does the sound change or go away under load ect ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still have the sound. Usually happens on the rev down, at around 3500. I've got 650 miles in it so far and it hasn't changed. Took it to the dealer, they kept it for a couple days and hooked it up to diagnostics. Nothing came up. Doesn't seem to be performance effecting or anything. Still makes me wonder. If it is exhaust related I'll know in a day or two as I have a full system on its way in the mail.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the sound go away when you pull in the clutch ?

Auto cam chain tensioners are pretty prone to failure i know ive had a few kawasaki ones let go (dirtbikes) and cause wicked chain slap on decel.

Does the sound change or go away under load ect ?
Sound goes away as the bike revs past or under 3500 rpm. And it happens with clutch pulled in or released, which makes me think it could be harmonics related. Like somethings vibrating at that rev range/frequency. Like I said though has been that way since day one and hasn't changed, not louder or anything. Doesn't effect performance from what I can tell and after listening to other Zs rev, both in person and on various videos on the net, I've heard it from other bikes. Who knows. I guess we'll see as time goes on.

·
Registered
207 Posts
so I had a vibration and noises and stuff coming from mine after I stated riding again in march. Couldn't for the life of me figure it but kept riding anyway until it got to the point that I want enjoying riding anymore and had to figure out the problem. Turns out that the bottom motor mount bolt had somehow worked its way loose. Im assuming that was the initial vibe I was feeling and over time it worked the nut off the one side. Its definitely something you should check out. The bolt is located behind the front sprocket and the nut is on the opposite side. I have 4600 miles on mine and now that I've replaced that nut with a nylon insert locking nut I've had no issues.

·
Super Moderator
1,848 Posts
Found this older thread under MrEvilpirate "Transmission design flaw" thread
a lot of us seem to have this sound , totally agree with the only when coming down from a rev ... for my sound
I still have it And will be checking heat-shield per this thread . already checked the rear motor bolt.
Not sure if its what your hearing but, Gotta bad sound myself ... haven't really paid attention when it happens . sounds like a dry bearing or loose clearance bearing rattle somewhere inside .and its loud ! .. but it only grinds for a second or two through the a rev and only occasionally
also sounds like .....................
Loose cat in muffler (had sound before mod)
loose anything in motor (your comment)
EXTREME" vibration rattle coming from something other than inside motor
I remember a few internet comments on bad Starter clutches being replaced

·
Registered
909 Posts
It's funny... With all the work I've done on mine, I've noticed that not a single bolt has had a chemical locker applied. And many of the bolts that I've had to remove feel like they were not tight to start. Beginning to think I need to treat this like I would a cheap import "toy" and go through and touch every single fastener to make sure it is tight.

That said, I've also found that they use a lot of mechanical locking nuts, even in places that I don't think they require them.

Got some welding to do for a part for mine, then I'll try checking that rear motor mount to make sure mine is still tight.

·
Super Moderator
1,848 Posts
YEP thats it ... I had to hook my laptop into my 100 watt stereo to hear it correctly and thats the sound except mine last about twice that long (a full second) and sounds twice that loud .
it could be harmonics related. Like somethings vibrating at that rev range/frequency. /QUOTE]
Leaning more towards this .. and knowing the cross-tubes in the muffler are only welded on one end makes me think its in the muffler. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
1,848 Posts
Leaning more towards this .. and knowing the cross-tubes in the muffler are only welded on one end makes me think its in the muffler. :confused:
Update ........... It's not the muffler . Still have the sound with a aftermarket pipe !
Put ear on left side cover and its right behind there . And make sure you have a cold motor :grin2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts