Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So over the weekend I installed the new DCR cam. Bike was running fine before the install with no issues. Now the bike starts just fine and idles fine but once I rev the engine to around 6500-7000 rpm it will cut out. This also happens when I rode it around the block, in every gear. I have a Bazzaz auto tuner installed and tried to use that but it doesn't seem to make a difference. After install I readjusted the valves and made sure the timing was correct. Both using the service manual. I can't figure out what could cause this. I will admit that I don't have a lot of experience working on motorcycles but like to think I'm inclined enough to figure it out. Does anyone have any advice on what could cause this or how to fix it? Hopefully, it is something simple. Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Bazzaz doesn't auto tune below 3000rpm so you have to manually adjust the low end.
Go to the Bazzaz site and load a map that you think might suit your bike go for a ride and then check the values from the Bazzaz AFM.
Also try Tps reset.

·
Vendor
752 Posts
Without question, the AFM will dial you in perfectly IF you’re using it correctly. I know first hand many owners don’t understand how to utilize it. That may or may not be the case with you, but I’m just speaking from a long history of troubleshooting with customers....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Without question, the AFM will dial you in perfectly IF you’re using it correctly. I know first hand many owners don’t understand how to utilize it. That may or may not be the case with you, but I’m just speaking from a long history of troubleshooting with customers....
Ok I'm all ears?
Or is it to hard to explain?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I was able to look at it last night. I started with resetting the TPS (which was off), then I set the Bazzaz back to stock. at stock it would still cut out the same at point (6500-7000 RPM). I tried to auto tune from there a few times with no success. so then I zeroed out all the values again and just adjusted the AFR values that were in the 6000 to 8000 RPM range to see if I could just get it to push through to redline without cutting out while in neutral. I got it to push through after trial and error by adding a small amount of fuel. so, now, I agree that this an AFR issue. when I rode around it still cut out though but it seems I'm on the right track. BTW, I am at 5500 ft elevation so I know this changes things.

one thing I noticed while watching the AFR in real time was when the engine cuts out, the AFR shoots up... this is obvious, but nice to see on the screen in real time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the auto tuner can't function when the engine cuts out like that. From what I can tell the response of the auto tuner is to overcompensate and lower the air-fuel ratio too much. I would guess if I could manually adjust the AFR to where it won't cut out at throughout all the gears that the auto tune could take over and finish making all the fine adjustments to the map. So, I think I'm just going to fix this with trial and error, unless you guys have any better ideas, and/or I'm wrong in my above assessment.

I've never done this before, so I really appreciate you guys helping me out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've got the 143 kit and I'm running 13 AFR but it's really weird that it's cutting out at higher rpm.
For some dumb reason when I read your post I thought the problem was below 3000 to idle I think
I read it like that because of others having engine idle probs. Sorry :) Me Dumb *** LOL

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I messed with it some more and it is assuredly not an issue with the AFR. No matter where I set it, it won’t stop stuttering. This has to be something else... timing maybe... idk... I’m not gonna throw in the towel yet. I’m wondering if it could be the new ECU from the recall because it didn’t only change the idle speed but also changed the ignition timing from 10deg [email protected] to 0deg BTDC @1800RPM. This is according to a paper given to me by the dealer after the recall work was done indicating changes to the manual.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm still running the stock ecu as the replacement has not tuned up at the Kawasaki dealer yet.
I've been waiting For months (stupid Kawasaki dealer)
My bike would cut out at idle with the 143 kit so I adjusted the idle with the screw and lock nut on the throttle body.
It idles at 2000rpm and for me that's ok.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just got thinking but I'm wondering if for some dumb reason the spark plug might have crapped out.
Check power lead on the Bazzaz that it's connected properly to the tail light wire and negative wire also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So this morning I got it all figured out. Turns out the cam was 180 out. I read that this is not possible on this engine. That may be true but I know I flipped the cam and sprocket 180 and it fired right up. No more cutting out. Perfect. Oh and I made sure the valves were correct again. No more issues. Now I just need to tune it with the bazzaz and I'm good to go. Thanks again for all your guy's help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts