Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this question on my mind multiple times in the he past and wanted to pose the question to the vast knowledge of our forum but haven't until now. Would an over the counter, high grade, full synthetic motor (in the recommended weight), be as protective as what Kawasaki sells but for a dollar amount that is much lower? Secondly, the Kawasaki dealership is several miles away and the Honda shop is very close so I purchased the oil recommend for the "Grom" 10w-30 full synthetic instead.

Do the Kawasaki engineers have some highly technical insider info that really warrants the Kawasaki oil to be used in the Z vs something else??

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
They state using other oil is acceptable (pic)
Most any name brand motorcycle oil is fine just make sure its states "Made for wet clutches" or look for the JASO type ratings if you can remember that many letters :unsure:

I wouldn't use 10w-30 if your riding in higher temperatures and they also recommend 10w-40

OIL RECOMINDATIONS - Copy.png 100_3654 - Copy.JPG oil-chart.png

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to all, appreciate the input.
BTW, I just got back from the Honda dealer to buy full synthetic and he came back with 10w-30? He stated Honda does not make it in 10-40 & went on to say Honda gave out a report where they found the 10w-30 dissipated the heat better than 10w-40 ? I'm not completely confidant in his word....

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
Ya, he made the sell ... but he did not lie.
Thinner oil does make the bike run cooler by flowing faster.
Thicker oil dose pump slower through an engine and therefore allows more heat to be retained in the bearings etc.
But ...... Using 10w40 oil in the summer will help the oil stick to internal components better in high temperatures, avoiding the wear and tear from metal-to-metal contact between moving parts.

If your not riding in temps above 90* your probably ok but consider the longer engine life trade off.

Not a oil expert at all, just following my own below "Signature" advice :unsure:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts