Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that so many people have already done either the Chimera Cold Air Intake, or mnnthbx Intake, or the Velocity stack, or the free upgrade with a Unifilter,etc.

Since I am a minimalist on mods and am a little OCD I went a different direction. I am aware that this little mod probably does not help much, but I do not think it will hurt. I was trying to get some more air into the factory air box without heavy modification or risk of running it too lean.

So I took 3/4" pvc elbow, drilled a hole in top of the air box with a 1" hole saw right in front of the, tiny factory snorkel intake. I cut the threads off some on the pvc too so that it was not protruding too far in to the air box in front of the factory intake hole. With the 1" hole saw the 3/4" threaded elbow screwed right in with a very snug fit. I angled it toward the little vents in the fairings so that at speed ( haahahaaahaa ) it will force a wee bit more air into the air box.

I spray painted it black so that it would not be very noticeable. Did a crap job because I used some old paint and rushed it. Thus too thick. Anyhoo, it is blacked out.

It seems to start a little easier. I did the "hold a paper towel" in front of it and when you roll on the throttle it does draw the paper towel into it. No check engine light either.
I have not ridden it yet to see if there is any difference.

Like I mentioned..... It may not help any but I do not think it will hurt either.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like it. I got a pack of the Uni 1" filters, and drilled some holes in the front of the airbox cover. I figure about 4" total opening.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I forgot uni made these.
I was out riding on the z after a rain and when I tryed to cut across a little ditch doing probably 25 it tuns out the watter was over the front fender the big ditch was covered in floating cut grass lol glad I dident have a chemara

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like it. I got a pack of the Uni 1" filters, and drilled some holes in the front of the airbox cover. I figure about 4" total opening.
I did not know about these. Good idea ! Can you post a url to them?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, So I went for about an 1 1/2 hour ride on the 4th of July. Here are the things that I observed that were different with the bike after getting a little more air into the air box. I am trying to be as objective as possible because we all know how even washing something or changing the oil makes it run faster or better. Particularly with AMSOIL. LoL

It does seem to cold start a little better than before.

It does seem to get going a little better from a dead stop in 1st gear. Does not take quite as much throttle.

I did not do a lot of testing on this one. However, the fastest I have ever got the thing on level ground with me on it ( 6'00" and 230lbs ) is 57-58 mph. I was on an approx. 2 mile flat run ( reservoir spillway/dam ) and got to 61mph at 9k. The fastest I have ever been on it was 63mph and that was DOWNHILL. LoL

·
Registered
92 Posts
Okay, So I went for about an 1 1/2 hour ride on the 4th of July. Here are the things that I observed that were different with the bike after getting a little more air into the air box. I am trying to be as objective as possible because we all know how even washing something or changing the oil makes it run faster or better. Particularly with AMSOIL. LoL

It does seem to cold start a little better than before.

It does seem to get going a little better from a dead stop in 1st gear. Does not take quite as much throttle.

I did not do a lot of testing on this one. However, the fastest I have ever got the thing on level ground with me on it ( 6'00" and 230lbs ) is 57-58 mph. I was on an approx. 2 mile flat run ( reservoir spillway/dam ) and got to 61mph at 9k. The fastest I have ever been on it was 63mph and that was DOWNHILL. LoL
I think I will be using your idea more air should not be a bad thing
Was there room to turn the pipe reversed?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I will be using your idea more air should not be a bad thing
Was there room to turn the pipe reversed?

I believe there is room. Go ahead and get your PVC elbow and when you remove the plastics just mock it up before removing air box to drill.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I believe there is room. Go ahead and get your PVC elbow and when you remove the plastics just mock it up before removing air box to drill.
I just made my own diy but using a larger diameter tube
Hopefully there is photos I'm having a hard time figuring out how to upload with iOS

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey I think your idea is a home run ! I did it to my Z except I went with a 1" fitting. The room was there , so why not. I will be adding a Two Brothers Tarmac exhaust tomorrow I got for $ 390.00 including free shipping.(Biohazard Cycles) Dig 125 had an excellent idea of reversing also if the mod results in too much air. I thought about water entering somehow, but I think it would have to be a "wave" to cause any problems. Washing the Z = baggie and a rubber band over the elbow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK...took the Z for a ride, it seems slower ???? That sure surprised me, BUT I NOW HAVE A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON ! I turned the PVC elbow around so the opening is now facing to the rear, I disconnected both leads on the battery, plugged and unplugged the O2 sensor. What am I missing ? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Vendor
685 Posts
Certainly nothing wrong with DIY, but we spent a ton of time testing all formats when we designed the Mtake, and I can honestly say, don’t bother modifying the airbox. If you want real performance gains, replace it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I looked on your website and saw the Mtake, it sure looks nice, but I personally don't like an added filter and sock for the crankcase vent. Why didn't you just put a fitting on the intake hose?

·
Vendor
685 Posts
Well I looked on your website and saw the Mtake, it sure looks nice, but I personally don't like an added filter and sock for the crankcase vent. Why didn't you just put a fitting on the intake hose?
It’s simply a preference that we feel the intake should be nothing but that, and there’s zero downside to separating the crank vent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Getting my Z a little more fine tuned and loving it. The check engine light disappeared on its own like a lot of other posts on the site said it would. As far as performance, it's running great. I still have the PVC elbow facing the rear AND I cut a piece of very dense foam (just about like the stock air filter) and put in the elbow opening. Also, the screen behind the stock foam air filter now has four 3/4" openings in it where they will not weaken it. Top speed is a flat 60 mph.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts