Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an online tool that they use to plan out smallbore friendly routes?

You can check the "avoid highways" option in Gmaps or Waze but that translates to "avoid freeways" and still leaves me with 55mph roads which are... uncomfortable on the Z.

I found a route planner intended for EVs with a mph limit option. I told it I could only go 50mph and it told me to hop on the freeway anyway. *facepalm* I mean... it's not technically wrong, but I don't think we should encourage people to intentionally drive slower than traffic dictates.

I'm particularly interested because I'm having a **** of a time keeping revs below 4000 for break-in. I'd rather have a poorly broken in engine than get run down by princess Twit-sta-book driving her daddy's G-Wagen. I can at least hang out around 6000rpm on 45mph roads.

(I did search first but am admittedly a total newb on this forum and probably missed something.)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Does anyone have an online tool that they use to plan out smallbore friendly routes?

You can check the "avoid highways" option in Gmaps or Waze but that translates to "avoid freeways" and still leaves me with 55mph roads which are... uncomfortable on the Z.

I found a route planner intended for EVs with a mph limit option. I told it I could only go 50mph and it told me to hop on the freeway anyway. *facepalm* I mean... it's not technically wrong, but I don't think we should encourage people to intentionally drive slower than traffic dictates.

I'm particularly interested because I'm having a **** of a time keeping revs below 4000 for break-in. I'd rather have a poorly broken in engine than get run down by princess Twit-sta-book driving her daddy's G-Wagen. I can at least hang out around 6000rpm on 45mph roads.

(I did search first but am admittedly a total newb on this forum and probably missed something.)

If you are keeping it under 4K rpm you may need to look at a bike track >:). You may also be the first person in history to abide by those conditions :grin2:. I rode mine normally for the first few hundred k's, revved it up to around 8 or so but not WOT for extended periods. After the first few hundred it was ridden as it needed to be to keep up/ahead of the traffic.

When I did the BBK I rode a little easier for about 100k's, then have just ridden it normally, it will pull redline in top with my 100+ kilos on it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are keeping it under 4K rpm you may need to look at a bike track >:)
No joke. That's pretty much the same as "off idle"

I rode it home from the dealer, taking it easy, being nice, varying my revs, and then felt guilty when I re-read <4000rpm for 500 miles...

My sales guy walked me through the Kawi break-in and proceeded to tell me "I beat the living daylights out of mine from mile #1 and it runs great!" Well... that's not making this any easier. Still, I am a believer in mechanical karma so I'll keep taking it easy as long as I can stand it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bicycle route planners maybe an option.

• Google Maps bike routes - though it may send to bike paths.
  • MapMyRide has an GPS phone app where you can plan your route on the PC and then run it on the bike.
  • I will be testing to see if I can repurpose a Garmin 520 and use the Garmin Connect software.The 520 acts like a car gps but will not route to major highways (if possible). Def will not allow interstate.
I typically follow the break in by the manual. But one ride on the z125, the rpm limit went from 4K to 6K. Now for that bore kit.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
On a 50cc scooter forum a guy did a 4 day ride and said he used rever app and was way better than google maps. I personally haven't used it but might be worth looking into.

https://rever.co/
Thanks I'll have to check that out, looks quite nice. Not a fan of the freemium design but heck, if it's good for $6/mo I can suck it up for our ~3 month riding season.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could go old school and order a butler motorcycle map
Not a bad idea. My dad still rides with a paper map in the top of his tank bag.

It might sound dumb but I enjoy heading out with no GPS and my phone in my jacket, relying on my knowledge of the area and internal compass. Good way to find new roads and I can always say uncle and pull over to get my bearings.

These younger generations will never have a love/hate relationship with being lost. Heck, they might never get lost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not a bad idea. My dad still rides with a paper map in the top of his tank bag.

It might sound dumb but I enjoy heading out with no GPS and my phone in my jacket, relying on my knowledge of the area and internal compass. Good way to find new roads and I can always say uncle and pull over to get my bearings.

These younger generations will never have a love/hate relationship with being lost. Heck, they might never get lost.

Hence my handle RamblingPath, I get lost all time. Never know what you will find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts