Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I was thinking of seeing how quick it is to get up and running. If not too bad then definitely a "rain" bike as the go kart is super slick in the rain and prefer not to damage the one with all the goodies on it.
Get some cheap rearsets of Ebay, maybe throw the second ohlins set of springs in there to stiffen it. and figure out the fuelcap and ignition. Assuming I can figure out whats gotten into the gas tank and the rough idling. didnt think I would be this excited over a beat up bike!

if I can't get it running, keep the rims (thats around 200 to 250 USD of the price there) and sell the parts I don't need to recoup the other 125 USD which shouldnt be too difficult.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I might be interested in all of the FI pieces including manifold and wiring harness, the hard part would be shipping it all across the border. I assume you are out on the west coast area? I'm east coast so meeting up at or near a border crossing won't work so well. I say I assume that you are west coast because I don't think there is much in the way of mini GP racing on the east side of Canada. If I had room I'd be in for the complete motor unless you decide it has been turned into junk by the thieves that took it (might be when it won't stay running). If the forks and triples were straight, I might be interested in those too, might need them for my KAYO which has some rust pits in it's forks, and I think I can make the Z forks fit (maybe). Then I could put the spring/valve kit in there.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I am on the west coast, vancouver to be specific. I will keep you guys updated as I start working on it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I am on the west coast, vancouver to be specific. I will keep you guys updated as I start working on it.
I'm not going to lie... for <$400 I'm super jelly. I've been keeping an eye out for a cheap Z/Grom to stunt and teach my oldest to ride.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Its here. Now to strip it down see whats salvagable and whats not. How bad of a shape the motor is in etc.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Good price. Worst that could happen is you part it out and get you money's worth in parts, and then some. Best of luck.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
dropped the oil, black as hell for a bike for so little mileage. I assume pretty rough riding on it plus never had its first service most likely.

wired a new ignition switch. had a lowering link so removed that to get it back to stock. Buddy came by and helped me make sure the fuel filter, pump, and injector were good.

replaced spark plug which was also really bad.

Cleaned out clutch case screen.

Ran fuel cleaner through the tank, and put fresh fuel. RAN beautifully compared to how it was running before. Just needed a good cleaning. Ran cleaner through the intake too. Bike sounded quite normal.

30 dollars in cleaner, switch, spark plug and filter and off it went using my other z's battery and 7 hours of labour.

Still needs a battery, needs some love on the plastics, gotta figure out how to get the lock for the seat to stop popping out and a couple minor things but pretty happy for the price so far :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
This is the bike that keeps on giving. finding tons of bolts and nuts stuck between frame and plastic....
Also the grey wire is always live now with the current switch setup so there might be some battery drain occurring. That or a short somewhere. Need to keep investigating.

Will post pictures soon.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hey let us know how bad that shock is. Expecting pretty unsuitable spring and damping rates but maybe you'll be surprised.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
How have 1000 people looked at this thread... Anyways I doubt I will buy the Chinese shock. The z125 shock is not bad already and this bike isn't a money pit. Rear sets is likely all I'm going to get

·
Super Moderator
291 Posts
How have 1000 people looked at this thread... Anyways I doubt I will buy the Chinese shock. The z125 shock is not bad already and this bike isn't a money pit. Rear sets is likely all I'm going to get
People will believe what they want to believe.1000ppl saw the post, 750 are waiting for someone to say that chinesium is adequate. Problem is, everyone has a different set of check boxes for adequate.
I'm not bashing chinesium. But the stock shock is surprisingly fantastic considering the price point of the bike.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I went all out with the first z I own. Ohlins suspension, driven rearsets, intake and exhaust. This one I'm taking the cheap approach to get it running and on the track. Rearsets and handlebars from china fit the bill.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I still run the stock shock on my track Z125 too. Nothing wrong with it, and it's not bad. But there's a couple places on the track where I wish I had a rebound adjustment.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Not to go off in a different direction, but has anyone thought about drilling and tapping a 1/8 pipe plug (or smaller) into the stock shock and try changing the oil? One of the things on my list to attempt (yes I have a spare shock). The big thing holding me back is that I'm not sure if it is pressurized. If it is pressurized, then a schrader valve would need to be used, and drilling the hole would be "exciting".

I'm guessing that a small change in oil would make a very big difference, either in amount or in thickness. When I did my KAYO shock, I ended up with 2.5 oil, the 5 made it almost uncompressable. Lucas makes many different shock oil weights, and I think all of them are synthetic. S1 Racing Shock Oil

A mix between 2.5 and 5 might be the way to go.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts