Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

What are your thoughts on buying a theft recovery z125? It seems to have some cracks on the plastic, no keys/ignition lock and having what is thought of as a fuel starvation issue and hence not running. Trying to get some pictures sent to me and more details (upgrades, etc)

The asking cost is 1100 CAD so around 840 USD.
Was thinking it could double up as a parts bike for the current track bike if needed.
OR if its a cheap fix to get it to run use it on the streets for shorter rides instead of the 650 I have right now.

Is the asking price too high?
Would you recommend I do this or stay away.

I will update once I have further info.

·
Super Moderator
1,875 Posts
Hey guys

What are your thoughts on buying a theft recovery z125?
no keys/ignition lock and having what is thought of as a fuel starvation issue and hence not running.
Got A key for gas tank and seat ?
Wonder how its wired to bypass the theft return resistor the ECU needs to start ?
or is that actually the real no Start issue ?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock except for levers. 600ish miles. 2017. Still has stock tires. Keyless Tank, keys are there for the seat. The guy bought it to turn into a track bike for an upcoming weekend for his son but they went with a motard instead. Its not running at the moment due to him thinking its a fuel starvation issue that he is going to attempt to fix.

I don't know what would be involved in trying to bypass the ECU with no ignition lock on it. Bikes tend to be easy to start but i dont know about the ECU requirement in this case with these bikes. Maybe what he thinks is a fuel issue is really the ECU not complying with no key?

·
Super Moderator
1,875 Posts
If you can open the tank and have a key for the seat, you can buy a new ignition for it and your good to go because most theft bikes have the no key for tank and seat issue and can not hot wire (jump) because of the theft return wire.
Theres is a way, but nothing we would ever want posted on any website.

[[ him thinking its a fuel starvation issue ]]
With no theft return wire the fuel pump will only cycle for 1 second, not the normal 3 seconds

·
Registered
804 Posts
Verify the bike isn't (still) stolen. If the VIN checks out, buy it. Worst case, you can part it out. Wheels, motor and seat should about break even.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
For most bikes its just a plug you need to "short" but from your response of a theft return wire, i think I am confused here on what this requires. maybe we can move this convo to a private DM so to avoid giving too much info out on this bike.

And @crakerjac it was a recovered bike sold through the insurance company and thats where he bought it.

I would register myself as the owner anyways even if I dont insure it, piece of mind that it can be registered.

·
Super Moderator
1,875 Posts
(y)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And u can do it in minutes according to this engine mount product.

"Chimera Engineering ZS190 Engine Swap Mount Kit for Kawasaki Z125 Pro. Complete bolt on engine mount that requires no cutting, welding, or drilling. Install a ZS190 engine into your Kawasaki Z125 Pro within minutes"

That gave me a great laugh. Minutes they say

·
Registered
804 Posts
I mean, the motor comes with a wiring harness... Just hook 'er up to a battery and fire that bad boy up.
I'd love to see someone integrate the factory speedometer. Aftermarket units are so meh.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Well, they are being fully truthful, they did not say how many minutes. 5 minutes is just as honest as 3000 minutes, though I would hope it is faster than that. I'd go for several hours, going to take around an hour just to get the Z engine out, then probably an hour to get the new one installed unless the kit is REALLY good, then an hour to button everything up if it runs.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bike was in pretty rough shape. It did start with a screw driver but was really having an issue idling smoothly. All the plastics were cracked. The shifter was bent and the front fork fender mounting points were bent.

I think something other than fuel has been put into that fuel tank. Drive it like you stole it was quite true there. I still haven't made a final decision but it's not as clean as the picture he sent me

·
Super Moderator
1,875 Posts
:eek: :unsure: (n) :poop:

Just Sayin

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
naked z125 :p i just dont know how i feel about bent fork brackets and if that means the forks are also bent. I didnt bring any tools to take them off and check

·
Super Moderator
291 Posts
I've bought a few bikes from cop auctions over the years. Expect the worst. As a general rule of thumb for "sight unseen" bikes I kinda go for half blue book wholesale value once it's at the state you have described.

Do a Lien check. If you don't want to I'll do it for you (costs me $8 per but I'll do you a solid. PM me the VIN)

$1100 seems pretty high. The wrecker will get that bike for 300-400...maybe 500. If I wanted it I'd show up (don't email offer) ready to haul it away with $750 cash in hand and MAYBE go to 800 if there are some goodies on it or it's better than expected.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I still can't believe my wrecked Z went for over $2k at auction. It had some nice 'goodies' on it, but most of them got pretty beat up in the crash.

If you DO buy it, and decide to part it out, keep me in mind when selling the cluster... I've been looking for one to 'experiment' on and you'd think these things are made out of gold based on the amount people want for broken clusters.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will keep you in mind for sure man. I just gotta figure out if I will get it, If I can get it around that 750 mark as Brad mentions then I think that is a no brainer.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
500 CAD (375 USD) picking up tomorrow. He messaged me this morning asking if I'm still interested and he would let it go for less! I said how much. He said 600 CAD and I replied make it 5 and he said ok. Was a bit to quick of an ok but I think just for the spare parts it's a good price.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts