Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_20160824_231104.jpg

It is OTBs VIP (Velocity Intake Plate)

The guys at OTB were nice enough to send me one to do testing on the dyno showing both before and afters (slapping it on and tuning for it) of both the red race filter and green street filter. Additionally, I will be doing live data logging and tuning of the setup at speed in attempt to show how much of a difference this filter will make at speed with the bike moving as opposed to sitting stationary on the rollers.

In other news, my spare ECU has arrived. I have cut it open, dissected it, identified the chipset and am now in the final stages of cleaning the rest of the board off. Hopefully this all pans out as these little bikes really benefit from some added timing. So being able to do all of the fueling, timing and everything else we can control through the ECU (limiter, disable closed loop O2 system, etc) will eliminate the need for any piggyback fuel controllers. If the wiring harness checks out, we may even be able to use our data logger and auto tuner setups!

Due to the chipset they used, flashing the ECU on this bike may be a bit of a pain in the ***. BUT, not going to give up hope. As soon as I get the rest of the board cleaned off and completely stripped I will be able to start poking and prodding the board to see what they did with the pins and if we'll be able to update the ECU directly through the plugs (or even through the bike harness without having to remove the ECU). Keep your fingers crossed!

I should have dyno and real world tuning results of the VIP here next week (track weekend this weekend!). Anyways for those not familiar with the VIP, here is their testing video.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for taking one for the team and testing everything out first! Will you install higher rearsets before the dyno?
I wasn't planning on it. As it sits it's going to go on the dyno with new oil, the Yoshi full system and stock everything else (performance wise) to establish baselines from before fitting the VIP.

Then I will install the VIP with the green filter, do 3 runs to establish a baseline for installing the plate and filter. Then the fueling will be adjusted and ran again with the new fuel map 3 more times to give me the after results.

Then I will take out the green filter, throw in the red, revert the fuel map back to the same fuel values as I started with the green filter, run it up three times to establish a baseline for the red filter. Then the fueling will be tweaked for the red filter and ran three more times to give me the after results.

Doing it that way, we'll be able to see the benefit of installing the plate and the different filters as well as how it behaves on the dyno after altering fueling compared to just throwing it on and not tuning it. I'm not expecting a world of difference on the dyno as I think most of the benefit from this will come from the bike at speed. That's where my live logging and tuning will come into effect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So update... the ECU has been stripped, cleaned and lobotomized.

20160830_011843.jpg
20160830_011807.jpg

Looks like it will work just fine with our Mitsubishi products we use on the likes of the new H2 and new ZX-10R. This should mean we will have full on data logging and auto tuning as well as the ability to map timing, fuel and make other advanced changes (quickshifters, launch control, fuel decel cut elimination, eliminate O2 and closed loop fueling, etc, etc, etc.). The "brain" they used in the ECU is actually quite robust for what it needs to do. Kind of overkill. But, that's a good thing.

Today I put the bike on the dyno to do some testing for OTBs Velocity Intake Plate (VIP).
20160907_074232.jpg

Initial results are impressive to say the least. Usually with these kinds of things, seeing any improvement on the dyno is going to be negligible as the static nature of the dyno. So I went into it not expecting to see a lot, if anything. I did stock, VIP with the street filter element and VIP with the race filter element. Didn't see a whole lot of improvement with the street filter element, but when I swapped over to the race filter element... WOW. To give you guys a bit of a tease... :p

Screenshot 2016-09-07 09.58.52.jpg

Did some street tuning with it based on what I saw on the dyno and the improvements are noticeable. Definitely gets up to speed quicker and holds the speed better.

I will be working with our data logging systems to see if I can pull live engine data from the bike as it sits from the stock KDS system and fit it with the wideband system we sell in our data logger/auto tuner kits. I will hopefully then be able to show the quantifiable differences of running the stock airbox versus the VIP kits on the bike in action on the street at speed. Pretty exciting stuff guys!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Steady Garage is selling them, you'll need to contact them directly, as they said they haven't gotten the images up, etc.

I'm still waiting for them to answer my question: "will this work ok if it is raining or wet outside?"
I was told to not ride in the rain with it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Steady Garage is selling them, you'll need to contact them directly, as they said they haven't gotten the images up, etc.

I'm still waiting for them to answer my question: "will this work ok if it is raining or wet outside?"
Thanks for kindly pointing me in the right direction. I noticed they're only offering the VIP with the 'Green' filter option. I wonder if they'll offer the high-flow race version soon?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I noticed they're only offering the VIP with the 'Green' filter option. I wonder if they'll offer the high-flow race version soon?
They should be here soon if not already. Maybe you have to contact them to state which one you want? I thought they already were as I was sent both the green filter and red filter for testing.

Can we see pics of this intake installed on your bike?
Yep, can do. I will be in the garage tonight installing the DCR stage 2 cam ;)
I'll snap a few pics for you then :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts