Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone take their Zs out for longer rides?

Been out on 3 "longer" rides so far averaging 125 miles each, all with one or two quick stops for gas and one hourish stop for breakfast or lunch. Mostly back roads, usually 30-55mph. My gf is with me (Gromin' it), she is just learning, so twisty sections are not as fun as they could be (I ride behind her and we have some sena headsets so I can coach her) but she's learning quickly.

Today we did around 140 miles and I'll be honest my butt hurts. Tail bone. But the rest of me is good, it was surprisingly not terrible even after being on it almost 4 hours. I was ready to get off of course, but it wasn't terrible. Shifting around every so often, sliding back to the passenger section of the seat, standing on the pegs occasionally to reset the boys, that kind of stuff helps... I've learned to shift around BEFORE you start to get sore.

we are planning on taking a 350 mile 4 day 3 night trip at some point this summer or early fall, depending on how quickly she can get comfortable on her bike. Anyone ever "tour" on one of these? Tips for "longer rides"?

So different than on a bigger bike it really feels like you against the world lol

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you going to be riding that far, you're going to need a better chain or be prepared to do a lot of adjusting.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Fox- even after 1500 miles or so? I expected that it would stop stretching by then...
You WILL run out of adjustment. Happens on Groms too. OE chain is plainly weak.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I find the stock seat a touch on the soft side. I am not a big guy, but I still sink right down to the seat pan which can be a little uncomfortable. If I am planning a long ride, I'm going to take one of the big bikes, but when I'm planning Iron Butt rides, I find 'Bead Riders' key for comfort. If you arn't familiar with those, they look like like those beads you see on the seat backs of Taxi cars (of you are old enough to know what a Taxi is...) They help distribute the weight and help with pressure points, but more importantly, they allow for some air between your bottom and the seat (bye bye swamp a$$).

This was on our last leg of a 3500 mile trip (Minneapolis to Santa Fe though Mountains in CO to Sturgis and back to MN)

·
Registered
165 Posts
ive done 2hrs before but if i were to go longer id get a 6 speed conversion and over gear the **** out of the sprockets so i could roll at 75 and not be screaming.

·
Registered
330 Posts
ive done 2hrs before but if i were to go longer id get a 6 speed conversion and over gear the **** out of the sprockets so i could roll at 75 and not be screaming.
I think wind drag and 8hp isnt going to let that happen, 6 speed or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts