Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a tendency to spend dumb money on things. I bought a gram scale back in college when I was into mountain bikeing to weigh mountain bike tires at the store. I weighed everything. Seatposts, handlebars, etc. I recall at one point the standard once you reached a certain point was 1000 bucks a pound to lose more weight.... :surprise:

My ZRX, while not to the utmost extent, has undergone some of that same scrutiny when mods were involved. BST wheels, lightweight battery, ti bolts, custom aluminum kickstand, custom titanum gun drilled front and rear axles as well as the swingarm piviot and on and on and on. (Still need to have the crank shaved at some point lol)

Now my attention is turning towards the Z at the moment as it's the newest toy. I am going to drain the gas when I get home from my trip and see what she weighs on the old scales while it is still completely stock. I know it will be a long process as the bike is too new and replacement parts hardly exist at the moment but it should be a fun journey to see what can be done.

Mirror mirror on the wall, where is the lightest Z of them all??? lol.

Is anybody else here as goofy as me??:nerd:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is anybody else here as goofy as me??:nerd:

You should use those scales to weigh your brain (yes, you'd need a gram scale Sir) and that pledged money to reup your medication prescription. (Why does this board not have a "poke" emoticon?)

O.K. So back to bidnezz. Dave has a serious mental defect when it comes to motorbike weight loss. "Yes" I've seen his oh-so-nutz ZRX and the CRAAAZZZZZYYYY things he's done to it. So this journey he's about to embark on with the lil' Z125 will be fun to watch. I can't wait until he announces he's found a single sided swing arm for it in Japan for a mere $4,999 plus shipping. :surprise:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I know the easiest way for my bike to lose weight is to pitch me off of it. I just think this will be a fun project. Because I can sort of thing. lol...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Very interested to see this. Not because I care much for weight reduction and all of that stuff, but just to see how crazy you are gonna get given you're glowing review from @McGovZ125

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well. Well. Looky looky. I found a pic of flying dave's ZRX. Here it is in the pits at the beautiful Barber Motorsports Park.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Dave,

I am exactly like you when it comes to saving weight to improve performance. During my long passion for Motorsports and fast machines, I've spent a fortune on carbon fiber parts, CNC billet custom parts, titanium, etc...
I am currently working on a Z125 little café-racer for my kid, and already bought a pair of BST Carbon Fiber wheels, OEM size because less, is more! I also purchased ceramic bearings (40% less friction), a pair of tires , the lightest tires I could find 6 lbs front, 7.2 lbs rear. I removed all plastics from the bike, and working the frame, reducing the unnecessary steel from it. I changed the gas tank, the seat, the handle bar, to lithium battery from acid, aluminum rear set, aluminum swing arm, etc... I did not have the opportunity to put all together yet, the bike is in parts between two cities, and receiving parts from Japan (Gcraft), South Africa (BST wheels), Italy (Rizoma), and other stuff like aluminum sprockets, first gear, intake, exhaust, etc...

Per my math, I've been able to trim down around 40 lbs, I might be wrong but this little thing is going to be maybe the lightest Z125 Pro street legal in the world!

Have you had the chance to put the OEM front and rear rotors on a scale? I am considering getting a pair of Galfer rotors for this reason.

I will post pics once she is done!
Best,
Leandro

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have not had much chance to tinker lately but that may all change soon. Just got a new job in another state so I will be moving in a month but it is promising a lot more time off so once settled I can hopefully get back to spending money that the wife doesn't know about..... lol...

I will be curious to hear your report on the BST's. Someone said that they made the grom almost too twitchy which is something I had not thought of.

·
Super Moderator
1,936 Posts
Here are some FREE' weight savings ideas for ya :wink2:
Rear Passenger peg assemblys and Tail pipe beauty cap removal :grin2:
Not doing this myself for weight savings but they do weigh a lot more than I thought they would . ;)
But i'm Guessing you have a Pipe and a Wife so this dosen't help :rolleyes:
Or , the new 2019 'Z 2p drive' , it is Waaaaay lighter if your lookin to Fly-Light :D

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can't wait to follow this. Often people only add more engine displacement (like that fool putting the 300 ninja in the Z) but physics tells us you can get the same return on acceleration by lowering weight. Look forward to your findings! I have seen some carbon wheels out there. I also know you can replace the stamped steel sprocket with a machined one from 7075. Depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go I'm sure you can loose a lot of weight which would be great seeing how little power the stock engine produces.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts