Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd really like to get a GoPro (or comparable camera) setup for my rides, along with an in-helmet mic for commentary.

I know there are knock off GoPros at a fraction of the price, but in my limited experience it seems that the video quality just... isn't there.

This leads me to some questions:

1. Is GoPro the way to go? I see alternatives on Amazon for a fraction of the price, but the one I tried a few years ago just didn't look as good. Has the quality of the knock off cameras improved over the last few years? Is there any brand that I should look into (or stay away from completely?

2. What is your way of using an in-helmet mic? Lav mic? Earbuds? Some of the videos I've seen feature little to no wind noise, and I'd like to replicate that as best as possible.

3. Would you go with a Bike Mount? Helmet Mount? Chest Mount?

I'm sure I have more questions, but this is a start. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have a GoPro Hero4 and it's overpriced. Video quality is great, but a lot of it comes down to the mount. I don't have a mic so no video blogging and I have the camera mounted to my bike.

If I were to do it again, I'd buy a knockoff or whatever @Zaph uses. He made a great argument for some camera I had not heard of...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a GoPro Hero4 and it's overpriced. Video quality is great, but a lot of it comes down to the mount. I don't have a mic so no video blogging and I have the camera mounted to my bike.

If I were to do it again, I'd buy a knockoff or whatever @Zaph uses. He made a great argument for some camera I had not heard of...
Thanks for the reply. Mind chiming in, @Zaph ? :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Over the weekend I bought the DJI Osmo Action and so far I love it. The user interface is really nice and easy to navigate. Gopro makes excellent products but they are definitely not the only player in the game.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a hero 7 white. Pic quality is good and easy to use. I've stopped using mine for Moto riding related recording due to limited battery life but instead use it for review and critique, ie. Practicing wheelies, gym and other.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My recommendation for track videos (Mobius 1080p, $75) does not have an external mic option. It mounts with a single 1/4" screw, so anywhere you can put a small hole, you can put a camera.

I have no experience myself making blogging videos. However, I know that some people just use a mic with their phone and sync it over camera video. So you could really use any camera and put it anywhere. If you want more info on the Mobius let me know.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My 2 cents, as I recently spent over $400 for my GoPro HERO8 setup (this is with their $100 off promo) then a Purple Panda Mic for $30 and Media Mod $80. just so you can have a mic input (it's a gimmick for GoPro to charge the user an extra $50-$80 instead of just building the damn thing in) and so far, it has overheated several times without warning, just shutting off mid-record at random. At best you get about 45 minutes of power time. I even have an external power pack in my backpack to power it but it's all moot if it continues to overheat and shut off while recording anyways.

For as much money as it cost to get into, it's technically worse than the Hero Session (cube) as I get about an hour of record time with that but the 8 does indeed have far superior video quality. Mind you I'm only riding in 80-90degree weather as of lately as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So this is something I know quite a bit about... I absolutely HATE GoPro and refuse to buy one because of ghe hoops they make you jump through just to get an external mic. Not to mention shitty battery life and overheating issues.

I've tested just about EVERY action cam out there and there's only 2 that I like. The one I use for Vlogging is a GitUp Git2. There are two versions of the Git2. One with a Sony sensor and the other with a Panasonic. I prefer the Sony sensor's colors. The camera has image stabilization, records in 1080p 60fps and 2160p 30fps, comes in a kit with a waterproof case, mounts and most importantly and external mic for about $150 bucks.

The other camera is a Sony HDR-AS100V. The form factor is a bit odd for a chin mount, but side mounted is fine. It has a 3.5mm jack for an external mic. It's got steadyshot, records in 1080p 60fps, it's waterproof without a case, slow mo etc. You can get a used one, in good condition for about 60 bucks on ebay.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Another couple things about the Gitup... There's 2 cameras with different fields of view. A 90 degree camera and a 170 degree. Get the 170 degree. Also, cases for the gopro hero 4 will fit the gitup. I use a skeleton case so I can plug in the external mic and still be able to have some water resistance.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Möbius mini if size is an issue, Möbius Maxi if size is not an issue. Record audio on Tascam DR10. I think the Maxi has an audio input, but not sure. I have several of the mini and machined aluminum 1/4-20 mounts for them.

Note that the mini has an ultra small battery, so wire it up to USB power.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you ALL for the replies.

I’m thinking about going with the Osmo Action camera. Did a ton of YouTube digging last night and it seems like a pretty great camera. Good stabilization, front and back screen, cheap mic adapter (<$20), and has a great picture.

I've tested just about EVERY action cam out there and there's only 2 that I like. The one I use for Vlogging is a GitUp Git2. There are two versions of the Git2. One with a Sony sensor and the other with a Panasonic. I prefer the Sony sensor's colors. The camera has image stabilization, records in 1080p 60fps and 2160p 30fps, comes in a kit with a waterproof case, mounts and most importantly and external mic for about $150 bucks.
...Then I see this and I’m intrigued! I’ve tried a couple of cheaper knock off GoPros in the past (the ones around $50-60) and they were pretty bad. TERRIBLE interface, and while they were 1080, the video quality just wasn’t that good. But this sounds a little more promising! Do you have any video examples?

Thanks again, everyone! Please keep the advice rollin‘, I haven’t made up my mind yet!

BTW.. I eventually want to start my own YouTube channel devoted to my Z as well as my Honda Helix, so an external mic is a must!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another couple things about the Gitup... There's 2 cameras with different fields of view. A 90 degree camera and a 170 degree. Get the 170 degree. Also, cases for the gopro hero 4 will fit the gitup. I use a skeleton case so I can plug in the external mic and still be able to have some water resistance.
Good to know as well! What kind of mic and/or adapter does the Gitup require? I have a wired lav mic with the 3 bands around the part you plug in (TRRRS perhaps?) Would that work with the camera? Without an adapter, ideally?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The other camera is a Sony HDR-AS100V. The form factor is a bit odd for a chin mount, but side mounted is fine. It has a 3.5mm jack for an external mic. It's got steadyshot, records in 1080p 60fps, it's waterproof without a case, slow mo etc. You can get a used one, in good condition for about 60 bucks on ebay.
This one looks really cool, and I really dig the shape! Do they make any sort of case or connector for helmet mounting? You said it has a 3.5mm Jack so I could plug in my lav mic, so that’s cool too!

I’ll try to stop blowing you up now. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got a whole YouTube channel with examples. Just search Squeaky Huevos and watch a few videos.

The Gitup doesn't require an adaptor. Just a mic with a mini USB plug, or go with a Purple Panda mic. It comes with the 3.5mm to usb adapter needed to connect to the camera.

You can get a skeleton case for the AS30V that works with the AS100. It's configurable in whatever way you'd like.

As far as video quality, very few cameras will give you the ability to tweak contrast, color schemes, shutter speed etc. But the Gitup does allow that. It's one of the reasons I went with it over others. I've tried the Osmo Action for a week, and while the video quality is great as well as the stabilization, the field of view sucks. Its more of a selfie vlog style camera. It also starts to have image lag that creeps in due to the stabilization.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think the only drawback of the other cameras is that you don't get the super crazy ultrawide view. I too was checking out the Osmo beforehand and after watching the video Casey Neistat made comparing the two, I opted not to choose that one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually really enjoy using my chest mount for my go pro hero 5 session. I have a second go pro I was thinking of getting a handle bar mount for so I can have it face me and behind me. I have a Freecom 4+ for bluetooth audio which I plan on recording to my phone and later syncing with the video.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So I've had every GoPro since Hero2. I still have my 3+, 5, 6, and 7 and I am getting ready to buy Hero 8.
I can tell you the microphone on every generation is hot garbage on a jetski or a motorcycle or any powersport at speed. It switches to Mono to isolate wind noise, which works, but you are left with horrible audio anyways. 8 generations and they have not figured out how to get rid of wind noise easily or with a simple accessory. The GoPro Mic adapter and aftermarket mic becomes an ugly burden that nobody wants to use. You can see only the YouTube vloggers deal with it to give good footage to their viewers.

Don't bother with the cheap Amazon/China alternatives. I've purchased two of those and the image quality at 4K is worse than a hero3+ at 1080P. When you on the water in full sun with reflections, or on the pavement in full sun, you'll see what cheapo Chinese camera will do.

HyperSmooth was super weird and glitchy on Hero 6 but they really refined it on Hero 7 and works great at most desirable resolutions such as [email protected], [email protected], etc.

There are other players on the market, such as Sony action camera, Osmo action cam, etc. but they are just players. We should keep our eyes open to the market but so far GoPro is still the king IMO. And Sony actually wants more money than GoPro for their top of the line action cam, that is almost a joke.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here is some footage I just posted yesterday of me riding my Monkey.
Shot with Hero 7 and chesty mount, stock microphone set to Auto (seems to switch to mono after 30mph).
Video set to [email protected], ProTune on, Whitebalance standard, Color Profile Flat, ISO Min 100 ISO Max 800.
No color correction in post, I just merged the clips, did some privacy blurring, and uploaded to YouTube.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As others have mentioned, there is no question you will want an external mic or secondary audio source to get good sound. If you pay attention to the vid, it always switches to Mono sound (to reduce wind noise) after about 30mph. It is kind of unusable for my jetski videos as I'm always riding 50mph or more.
My plan for the bike is to put the old Hero 3+ back to work. I ordered a handlebar mount and an external skeleton/microphone case. I will order a Saramonic G-Mic with deadcat to record sound and for the Hero 3+ to provide a secondary angle but I have to figure out how to make it work since Hero 3+ does not do [email protected] but that's another problem.

They made it so weird with Hero5 and later models with that bulky $50 microphone adapter plus cost of mic and wiring to get external audio on later Hero models.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts