Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Been pretty hot here in TX lately...using Schaeffer's Supreme V-Twin 20W/50 for now. I think its a blend. Will switch to a 10W/40 when the weather cools.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hot temps here. Have been running 20w50 for several weeks but will swap back to 10w next month. I use Kawasaki Synthetic oil.

·
Registered
347 Posts
years ago motul had some chart saying the 10w40 motul 5100 protected better at higher temps
this was when I was using an oil dipstick temp gauge on a couple bikes

now it could be hype that they put out to promote the oil
but I've been using it ever since

usually around $14 per quart so its about twice as much as typical motorcycle oil

I also change oil in all my bikes around 1000 miles because they really don't hold much oil so it could wear down faster because of how much it holds

·
Registered
207 Posts
Amsoil motorcycle 10w40 because a buddy of mine is a dealer and wanted me to try it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Running Kawi dino oil for the first few thousand miles then switching to Royal Purple. Did the same with both my other bikes and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is hot in Florida so I am going to change my oil every thousand miles I run 20w50 and whatever motorcycle shops have on sale in a petroleum-based with that Ma 2 rating

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are there any aftermarket filters out there? Anyone using them? or sticking with OEM?

I know k&N makes one for the Z. Steady garage stocks oem and k&n oil filters and o rings. They also have a reusable oil filter also. But personally I stick with the oem oil filters just to be sure.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I know k&N makes one for the Z. Steady garage stocks oem and k&n oil filters and o rings. They also have a reusable oil filter also. But personally I stick with the oem oil filters just to be sure.
Thanks. I'm the same, OE for now, but some guys out here religiously go K&N, maybe it's the marketing :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
does royal purple make motorcycle specific oil
never seen any at motorcycle shops
Indeed they do. Called Max-Cycle. I've never seen it at a motorcycle shop either, I get it at a local speed shop. It's stupid expensive and I'm probably throwing away money but it was recommended by a trusted mechanic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
For those who are first time motorcycle owners, DO NOT put in automobile oils. You need to use motorcycle specific oils because our clutches share the lubrication and the additives in car oils do not work well with clutches. Otherwise, stick with a quality brand and keep it within the dipstick range (high/low) to have a happy motorcycle.

Are car oils suitable for a motorcycle? - Motorbike Writer

·
Registered
38 Posts
Some people are putting in Rotella T6 into their Groms becasue it is M approved.

Im curious as to what other full synthetic oils people are using in their bikes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Both Rotella T 15W-40 conventional and, Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic both list the JASO MA standard; this information can be found on the bottle adjacent to the SAE/API rating stamp. JASO is an acronym that stands for "The Japanese Automotive Standards Organization." Note that the 10W-30 conventional oil does not list JASO-MA. These oils lack the friction modifiers that dampen wet clutch performance.

Can not justify paying $10+ a quart when i can get the rotella for $15 a gallon.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts