Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, a quick question: has anyone tried installing an LED headlight or a light with a switchback halo? Do these products throw any errors?
Also, those of you, who dealt with the LEDs on your Z125s, can you share the names of the brands you are happy with?
Any comments are appreciated! I just do not want those LEDs that hyperflash or throw errors, that's why askin.
Regards,

Gary.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I got the DDM Tuning Lynx. Even my gf who is oblivious to stuff was like "wow those are way brighter".

https://www.amazon.com/DDM-Tuning-Headlights-Foglight-Warranty-FBA/dp/B01N0D2BJP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538430351&sr=8-1&keywords=ddm+tuning+lynx+h4

Sucks for us motorcyle guys cause you need to buy a set of 2! Guess I have a spare.

You need to remove the rubber insert that goes around the stock bulb to get them to fit, no big deal. Install in 5 minutes, no error codes. High and Low in one lamp.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just took out one of those no-name triangle LED bulbs and replaced it with a Mictuning LED. The El cheapo bulb illuminated well to be seen by other driver's, but was absolutely terrible at illuminating the road at dark. The Mictuning in the garge alone looked awesome. We shall see. No pun.
Pair on amazon $29.99, just came back in stock

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I see, I am still somewhat concerned about the LEDs, as there are good LEDs and ones that throw errors, hyperflash, etc.

I know, that there are LEDs that come with built-in load resistors and canbus modules that prevent from errors. However, I am still not sure, which lights are good, and which are no.
Now, I liked what people did for Harleys and other bikes that have got 7-inch lights, and thought of making something similar for my Z.
https://www.motorcycleid.com/images/lumen/sealed-beam/pdf/7-inch-orange-sealed-beam-switchback-halo-installation-instructions.pdf
So I thought of the bulbs that will work without errors and stuff. I haven't seen anything suitable for our Z125s that goes assembled and looks right....

I am mechanically inclined, so I can make the light by myself, rather tan have someone retrofit mine. However, if there is a quality pre-assembled solution, I'd be interested...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ando- My 92 XJ600S is angry with me for neglecting him all season to play with the Z. The XJ still has the stock headlight bulb from 92... I may need to give him the other LED as a peace offering.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Ok I see, I am still somewhat concerned about the LEDs, as there are good LEDs and ones that throw errors, hyperflash, etc.
The MicTuning ones are one of the good ones. This isn't the first time they've been mentioned for the Z. I'd trust MrEvilPirate's choice too (enough to buy his extra XD ).

Have a look. EN187 is a member here, but I don't think he's active.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Shoot, I skimmed too quick. You are looking to replace the entire headlight assembly not just the light source?

User Z125Rider converted his headlight to a more classic look. Hes mentioned it as an aside in some threads but doesn't have a dedicated post for it or anything. Looks like an off the shelf headlamp, but at least you can see what the overall appearance looks like.

·
Super Moderator
1,814 Posts
i put a ADVnative H4 in my other bike / Left this review at there site....

Totally agree with the 3 times brighter statement here and is more light than I'll ever need. I did not want a blinding LED that was obnoxious to oncoming traffic or the rear view mirrors of the riders in front of me and the sharp/precise cut off point of the pencil beam does just that. Also the wide pencil beam is perfect for finding your way off road when needing to see around sharp turns while trail riding. My bike will not accept the rear mounted fan and cooling fins type LED bulbs like most bikes (no room). Lucky Me I found this one that met both my needs.
Native H4 - ADVmonster
EDIT: Turns out it's ok for flat dirt roads and trails, but it becomes a strobe light through the Whoop-De-Doos being a Pencil Beam.. It will be coming out ! and going to try the Mictuning H4 after FoxFader posts up a better video of it than the one below (hint-hint) It does look like another Pencil beam in this video so that will decide the Ya/Na for me ,
https://www.z125owners.com/forum/kawasaki-z125-pictures-videos/14522-youtube-aftermarket-accessories-install-4.html
Check these out as well
https://www.z125owners.com/forum/kawasaki-z125-pictures-videos/14522-youtube-aftermarket-accessories-install-3.html#post112898

·
Registered
894 Posts
@NfdBrian Those look nice, thanks for sharing. That's the first I've heard of using a blacked out PCB for cleaner light, but it makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The draw from the Mictuning concerns me a bit, yes I know 5 watts in nothing, but these things struggle as is, decreasing overall current is something I would be interested in. The ones at Xenondepot say 24watts which would be 10 watts less than stock which starts to interest me. Do you need the PWM module with these?

·
Super Moderator
1,814 Posts
I went with this one.
Have you checked if both high and low beams used on HIGH ?
From link (enabled for additive twin-beam power - you get both low and high beam )
switching from my current Native H4 bulb I hate to loose 1000 lumens on low beam, but if both are on at high beam for 5000 lumens i could be interested but then its using 48 watts i guessing ?
But i need a stock type open/flood beam pattern.
What kind of beam is it / flood like stock or long pencil beam like most LEDs ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got a pair of Cyclops 3800 Lumen H4 LED bulbs in my Tiger and they're killer -- bright enough to light up the night, but not so bright they'll piss off or blind oncoming drivers. The brighter units, at 7000 lumens, will probably vaporize deer and burn holes in concrete :) We'll be looking into one for the Z125. I still don't know if it will fit, but they've got a setup for the Grom, so it should be possible.

·
Super Moderator
1,814 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Doesn't look like there are any show-stoppers, and that USB port setup looks like a great idea -- now you can charge up your phone to call people to haul away all the rocks, street signs, parked cars, delivery trucks, etc. you've burned holes in with the 7000 lumen headlight/laser cannon. Those suckers are BRIGHT! Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The draw from the Mictuning concerns me a bit, yes I know 5 watts in nothing, but these things struggle as is, decreasing overall current is something I would be interested in. The ones at Xenondepot say 24watts which would be 10 watts less than stock which starts to interest me. Do you need the PWM module with these?
No PWM module needed! I'm pretty sure you get both on High beam. It is a pretty wide beam on Lo. I will see if I can get some pictures tonight.

·
Registered
894 Posts
lol, I want to be seen, not induce road rage. 7000 seems a bit excessive dontcha' think?

·
Registered
327 Posts
lol, I want to be seen, not induce road rage. 7000 seems a bit excessive dontcha' think?
Question is, is it really 7000lm?

1 - 20 of 110 Posts