Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm having a huge issue starting my z125 up from a cold start with the kickstand down it takes about 30 cranks to start it with breaks and multiple priming of the fuel. If I try it with the kickstand up it fires up after the 3rd crank.

I only found out about trying to start with the kickstand up after watching a you tube video and it totally worked. But unfortunately there was no solution to fix it.

So to clarify, the engine cranks with kickstand down and up. But doesn't fire up unless the kickstand is up or after 30 cranks with the kickstand down.

Help.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's meant to fire if in neutral when the sidestand is down but some seem to develop an intermittent or permanent problem

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's meant to fire if in neutral when the sidestand is down but some seem to develop an intermittent or permanent problem
Mine only fires up in neutral with kickstand up. If it's in first gear with the clutch held in it does nothing. I don't have the kickstand on so not sure about down but I can route it back on and test I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine fires up in gear with the clutch held in general. The bike has a clutch lever kill switch under the lever only allowing you to start the bike with the clutch lever held in if the bike is in gear.

But that's just a side note. The main issue is not being able to start the bike when the kickstand is down when in neutral. Only easily starts when the stand is up.

·
Super Moderator
1,751 Posts
I seen a few post claiming that and not sure this will solve that issue but I bypassed both kickstand and clutch switches for reasons here;
https://www.z125owners.com/forum/what-did-you-do-your-kawasaki-z125-today/13481-bypassed-kill-switches.html

BEWARE : Bike will start when in gear with kickstand up or down so have clutch lever in !!!

You can cut wires and create closed loop (tie together) or do it the right way .....

KawasakiBrad has plug n play by-pass connectors available on his website and makes it possible for going back to the standard connections

https://kawasakibrad.com/shop?olsPage=products

Reactions: Kawasaki Brad

·
Registered
206 Posts
To reiterate - Kickstand is not attached (since I race mine) and if its in first gear it will not start even with the clutch held in. Its done that since day 1 which makes me look like an idiot on practice or track days cause I roll up to the pregrid area and shut of the bike cause itll overheat if we end up waiting for too long. Then they release us and I forget everytime that I left it in gear and can't start. I just assumed its a quirk with the bike and I never questioned it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't think it's the sidestand switch causing the problem in a lot of cases. With my old one, while it wouldn't fire most of the time with the sidestand down if you started the bike the sidestand cutout would work every time you lowered the sidestand.

I think it must be a problem in the ECU with the relay in there screwing up

·
Super Moderator
1,751 Posts
if you started the bike the sidestand cutout would work every time you lowered the sidestand.
And should if it was in gear but not neutral

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, I know. That's the point, even with the fail to start issue the sidestand cutout still works showing that the switch itself is not the problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My bike is still new but I have noticed that the bike seems to start on its own terms. Sometimes it fires up with kickstand down, sometimes I need to press the clutch, sometimes I need kickstand up AND clutch pressed in, etc. And I always park the bike in neutral, I never shut it off in gear (because I may forget it's in gear when I go to startup the bike).

I have noticed the best shot is to just press the clutch in, regardless of neutral or kickstand position. You should not have to crank the bike 30 times or so just to get it to turn over. In your case, I would twist the key, put the bike in neutral, bring the stand up, press the clutch, and start.

You don't want to run down the battery and risk being stranded and you don't want to run the starter motor too much; manual says no more than 5 seconds of cranking I believe or it will over-heat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts