Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally ditched the stock IRC tires for the Kenda KD-1 Kwik tires and holy handling Batman... do these things rock!

Definitely notice a phenomenal improvement on traction. These mugs stick! I also feel the handling is much better though I didn’t swap the tires so I didn’t check the weight difference. The tread depth is much more shallow so I know there’s less thickness overall and as such I don’t expect as much life by any means but at $100 a set and tires that actually grip I’ll still consider these a win. You can actually get them in OEM sizing as well. Load the front and bomb the corners! Now if only these **** slow *** cars wouldn’t get in the way and kill my drive. 😤

Killer choice and hats off to Kenda for realizing the popularity of the 125 scene and the need for solid tires. 👍👍

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Man, I really wish I had bought one set in OEM size. I was originally planning on putting the Power Pures on my bike but at the end of the day I couldn't justify the price jump for all the good things I was hearing about the KD1s. So I just clicked QTY:2 and ordered... oops!

How many miles are people getting out of these?
I hear 4k-5k range. MrEvilPirate said his were squaring off after his ~2000 mi road trip though, so maybe less.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm not expecting 2000 miles but I'm expecting a full season out of mine. I'm also in Canada where it's a little cooler and I pick up rubber more than shed it at the go kart track.

·
Registered
895 Posts
How sticky of tires does a roundabout warrior need?
As sticky as they are willing to pay for! >:)

For me it was more about confidence. I had a handful of instances where the stock IRC tires slipped with plenty of heat in them and not really being pushed that hard. I didn't trust them to keep me safe let alone let me push the bike's limits. Besides, I'm trying to suck my wife into riding. Lowsiding on cheap hard tires isn't a great confidence boost.

I can push the Kendas harder, faster, and won't have to worry about tire temps in October. They also communicate their limits progressively instead of all or nothing grip.

Come ride my bike when you can, I promise you'll be tossing the stockers on your next bonfire. ;]

Edit* You can get all of these things with any tire upgrade, I just chose the Kendas for the price/performance balance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For me it was more about confidence. I had a handful of instances where the stock IRC tires slipped with plenty of heat in them and not really being pushed that hard. I didn't trust them to keep me safe let alone let me push the bike's limits. Besides, I'm trying to suck my wife into riding. Lowsiding on cheap hard tires isn't a great confidence boost.

I can push the Kendas harder, faster, and won't have to worry about tire temps in October. They also communicate their limits progressively instead of all or nothing grip.

Come ride my bike when you can, I promise you'll be tossing the stockers on your next bonfire. ;]

Edit* You can get all of these things with any tire upgrade, I just chose the Kendas for the price/performance balance.
Exactly, the only time I’ve gone down on the road was on these stock IRC’s in a small roundabout. The Kenda’s definitely communicate what they’re doing. They’ve slipped but immediately hooked back up and let me know to tweak the rebound on the shock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have to agree on the Kenda's. Did a trackday on the stock tires and they held surprisingly well then swapped to TT93GP's. Ended up picking up a screw in the rear and got a set of Kenda's for the price of the rear Dunlop. Just did a race day at our local kart track and the tires felt pretty good all day. The track was resurfaced and for some reason didn't feel as grippy but I don't attribute that to the tires. The tires gave a lot of feedback and was telling me how hard I could go. Curious what pressures people run on track. I was playing around 16-17 psi front and rear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What are your thoughts between TT93 and KD1? If money were no object, which would you run?

Wish I could ride right now, not looking good for the rest of our season here, it's almost August.
While I can’t say how they compare if there is negligible difference on traction and life, cheaper will always win. Managing your money well is what makes price not matter. 😆

·
Registered
159 Posts
What are your thoughts between TT93 and KD1? If money were no object, which would you run?
Well, for what it's worth, I used to run the TT93s on my little bikes as they had the best grip and the price wasn't bad. But they barely went 12 hrs in one of our endurance races. Now with the Kendas, they easily went past the 12 hour mark. And they are much cheaper and lighter and available in more sizes and...you get the point. I also really loved the PMT slicks, but not at $250 a set.

Going to try the Kenda 130/70-12 rear next for maybe a bit more contact patch...and it's lighter than the 120/80-12 rear.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am thinking of switching to 130/70 rear, 120/70 front at the track. The guys running groms have switched to that setup (albeit they had to get some adapters made to fit the front fender back on with the 120). Reading Kawee's post he said the setup should work fine with no modifications needed. What are everyones thoughts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't run the track with the Z but 1307/70/12R, 120/7012F is the setup I'm currently running. It handles nicely and much better than the stock IRC.

That all being said, if I had to do it over again, I would go with the 110/70/12 front as I'm not even close to using the front tire to the edge. I do ride it fairly aggressively on the street but obviously not track speed. Of course you'll use more sidewall on the track but I still think the 110 front would be better for turn in than the 120 and if I remember correctly, a lot of people on the track even use a 100/90/12 up front.

Good luck with whatever combination you choose. Oh, and the KD1s are super sticky and priced nice and cheap.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have the kenda's on now and love them, running 100/90 front 120/80 rear. The only z on the track here, there are a few groms and they say the 120 front and 130 rear makes the bike more stable. Just trying to get more thoughts on this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts