Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sweet ! Love watching these build threads well.... build lol.
Haha same, that's why I started my own! :grin2:

Anyways, the mirrors are on. They turned out okay and I like the look much better. I took the mirrors all apart and loctite'd the hardware that shouldn't be loose. I need to grab some black hardware to thread into where the mirrors used to be, just so it's cleaner. Fairly easy install, pics below.

I also installed a LED headlight, and a temperature sticker to have an idea of where I'm at. I forgot to take a pic of the headlight last night, so I'll get one up tonight.

Attachments

Registered
Nice build man. Did you get the headlight I linked you to? Also do you know of that temp sticker is accurate? I've been eying it up but I'm not going to waste the money if it's not even accurate.

Registered
Build threads for the win, sometimes builds are the only reason I got to certain forums unless there are threads relating to and supporting that build. A year from now we should see some impressive progress by the members here.

Registered
I got one of those temp stickers too
but before sticking on
I held it in that same spot as pictured above but the engine was so hot I could not wait to see how high the temps would go as my finger was on fire

my guess was it would be too hot to read anything as I think those stickers are made for water cooled engines that have a better chance of staying at lower and more level temps

so I moved it to the right side engine cover I think where the clutch is
at least once I see what normal temps are if it ever increases drastically one day I will know there is a problem

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Nice build man. Did you get the headlight I linked you to? Also do you know of that temp sticker is accurate? I've been eying it up but I'm not going to waste the money if it's not even accurate.
I went with a different light that would arrive sooner with Amazon Prime, I'm not very patient :p It took some work to get the rubber boot around the heats ink, but it should be fine. As Mike stated, the head gets a bit hot too get a proper reading when fully warm. I do know that when my bike is at the hottest it should be, the sticker indicates blue on the highest reading so I know that if it's not showing anything it's gotten hotter than ever. If that makes any sense.

Build threads for the win, sometimes builds are the only reason I got to certain forums unless there are threads relating to and supporting that build. A year from now we should see some impressive progress by the members here.
Yeah for sure, coming from the Volkswagen community forums over at VWvortex.com, I can really appreciate the kind of knowledge and information shared on forums. Right now we are basically paving the way for people buying these things decades from now(hopefully they last that long lol), just as the people in Thailand have done for us :p

I got one of those temp stickers too
but before sticking on
I held it in that same spot as pictured above but the engine was so hot I could not wait to see how high the temps would go as my finger was on fire

my guess was it would be too hot to read anything as I think those stickers are made for water cooled engines that have a better chance of staying at lower and more level temps

so I moved it to the right side engine cover I think where the clutch is
at least once I see what normal temps are if it ever increases drastically one day I will know there is a problem
Yeah I noticed after applying it lol, didn't think of it prior and since I didn't want to apply the sticker on a hot engine I just went ahead and placed it there. It's mainly just for reference and after running my Z for hours it shows the highest reading with a blue bar, so as long as I always at least see that blue bar I know all is normal. I did, however, buy the 3 pack so I can always remove it, or place another where you stated. How far up the gauge do you go on the side cover?

Registered

been thinking of contacting this company that makes oil dipstick temp gauges, I've used a few years ago on past bikes
works really well, only thing with the z is such a short dipstick im not sure how tiny they can make them

but maybe I will message them and see
since I have a spare dipstick I could always send them mine to get the perfect size

Registered
Discussion Starter #10

been thinking of contacting this company that makes oil dipstick temp gauges, I've used a few years ago on past bikes
works really well, only thing with the z is such a short dipstick im not sure how tiny they can make them

but maybe I will message them and see
since I have a spare dipstick I could always send them mine to get the perfect size

Nice, let me know if you have any luck with them. I'd definitely be interested in one as well. I was thinking eventually an oil cooler with a temp sensor somewhere in the system eventually.

Registered
I wouldn't mind an oil cooler either, but I think they are around $400 or more
little too expensive for me, maybe one day someone will have a cheaper one

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't mind an oil cooler either, but I think they are around $400 or more
little too expensive for me, maybe one day someone will have a cheaper one
I'm gonna take a closer look at the kit and see if i can piece together a kit for cheaper. Oil coolers are for the most part universal. Mounting, fittings, and size are probably the only thing that makes it specific.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Quick update, did oil change at 1k and been riding it like crazy. A pic from yesterday down in Newark:

Just installed a Two Brothers Tarmac exhaust, love it so far but have yet to ride it or remove the db killer. Got it for $350 shipped.

Planning on a fender delete and maybe taillight next.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
At 2.5k miles now, been pretty cold out here. Clutch started slipping and oil needs to be changed so I'll do that in preparation for winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts