Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if an intake alone will cause the bike to run lean? How about an exhaust alone? By alone I mean no other mods or fuel controller.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Absolutely, moreso on the intake side of things. Does the Z ecu run in open or closed loop config? Think I had read somewheres that it was open? If true, just wondering what the O2 sensor adjusts for and when?

·
Registered
347 Posts
at least on other bikes you can get away with one mod
but won't ever know unless you wide band it

I was going to do intake mods on a stock bike but had too much trouble getting a standard size o2 sensor onto the stock header to get readings on what could happen

then do exhaust mod and stock intake

what I would do is buy an exhaust, intake and fuel controller
it will be expensive but unless you have a way to check air fuel ratio then thats the safest way to do things

there was talk about modding the ecu by someone
but hasn't happened yet

there are a couple fuel controllers available now

·
Registered
165 Posts
Anybody know if an intake alone will cause the bike to run lean? How about an exhaust alone? By alone I mean no other mods or fuel controller.

Yes, by design an aftermarket intake/filter is allowing more air into your engine and will tend to lean out the already lean fuel/air mixture. After warming up in open loop, it will switch to closed loop once certain conditions are met. EFI will compensate to a certain degree but you may still notice some drivability issues. A fuel controller will alter the mixture to work better with your new free-breathing hardware. So to be safe, a FC should be installed when you start swapping pipes & intakes.

And FYI, you can fit another wideband O2 sensor in there, but it's a little tight. I made a custom 18mm adapter for the Bazzaz Z-AFM since all I found were too short.

·
Registered
347 Posts
guess all the weld on bungs I have are way shorter then yours
mine are like 1/2 tall so when I mocked up how the sensor fit it would of bottomed out in the pipe

didnt know there were other heights

I was even toying with welding 2 nuts together to get the height I needed, but didnt

Yes, by design an aftermarket intake/filter is allowing more air into your engine and will tend to lean out the already lean fuel/air mixture. After warming up in open loop, it will switch to closed loop once certain conditions are met. EFI will compensate to a certain degree but you may still notice some drivability issues. A fuel controller will alter the mixture to work better with your new free-breathing hardware. So to be safe, a FC should be installed when you start swapping pipes & intakes.

And FYI, you can fit another wideband O2 sensor in there, but it's a little tight. I made a custom 18mm adapter for the Bazzaz Z-AFM since all I found were too short.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not a thread hijack. I also had reservations. So, I did as already suggested.
I purchased everything.
The plan?!!? to install the intake, exhaust, fuel controller all at once.:grin2:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is there a way to reset the ECUand have the ecu relearn like you do on the Grom?
I believe the Grom self adjusts its air fuel mixture, does the Z125 do the same thing?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Anyone do a bazzaz map for stock intake with yosh pipe? Want to clean up some of the pooping.

Side note. tried several maps and could not eliminate my issues with cold starts with my chimera installed. Went back to stock intake with yosh rs2. If anyone has an answer for the intake plus exhaust issue that would be awesome too. In Wisconsin cold means 40-50 degrees. Wouldn’t start to the point of causing a check engine. But it seems as though much better with stock intake at startup. Miss the full setup though while riding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts