Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, I installed the Vagabond Fender Eliminator on my Z125. I found it to be just as well engineered and almost as easy to do as on my Yamaha R3 Vagabond kit.

The instructions are good, but the video right on the website product page is fantastic! It warns you about all the "tricky' parts and makes them easy. The product is exceptionally well engineered for an aftermarket product - the designer thought of everything (watch the video to see what I mean). The kit allows you to PROPERLY reuse the OEM license plate light and also the rear OEM signals lights if you want to (I did because I do not want to have to install the anti-hyper-flash module that the Z125 requires (No conventional flasher relay on our Z125s).The hardest part was getting the 4 mounting bolts and their 2 washers each into proper position, but the video explains how to minimize the difficulties.

There is a good weight saving, even if you continue to use the OEM signal lights. I removed a total of 2.075 lb in OEM parts that were not reused, and added the 0.53 lb of the Vagabind kit, for a net saving of 1.6 lb.

I also took out the useless OEM toolkit which weighs 0.6 lb, and so now have officially removed a total net of 2.2 lb from my Z.

Much more to come . . . :)

Jim G

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Vagabond kit also. To me the biggest advantage of using the OEM turn signals and license plate light is being able to just plug in the factory connectors. I really hate cutting/splicing/crimping wiring harnesses. The only thing I wish Vagabond had put in the instructions would be a suggestion to super glue the flat washers to the top of the bracket. I'm still kicking myself for not thinking of that while I was juggling the hardware during installation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
About how long did it take you to install? I was flipping through some videos on Youtube the other day and came across the Vagabond video for this fender eliminator. The video seemed to explain it pretty well and I liked the look and being able to use the OEM parts. Definitely thinking I'll be picking this one up in the near future.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I honestly don't remember how long it took to install. I'm guessing it was about an hour, but some of that was removing body panels to retrieve a wire routing clip that I dropped. I could have saved quite a bit more time if I had glued or taped the 4 flat washers to the top of the mount, plus I was doing the install at night and my garage doesn't have very good lighting. The Vagabond video is pretty much real time, so if you have the tools all laid out and all parts ready to go, you could theoretically do it in close to the same time as the video. Of course the guy in the video had obviously done a few of the installs before, so I doubt that anyone doing it for the first time will be able to do it as quickly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Now that I think about it, my install time was probably between one and a half and two hours. I didn't have everything laid out and I kept dropping the flat washers. It's amazing how far away those suckers can roll on a concrete garage floor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cool, yea it seemed like it'd be decently easy, just snapping the OEM indicators out and back in could be a little tricky. I think that will be my project for next week.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a big fan of the Vagabond kit also. To me the biggest advantage of using the OEM turn signals and license plate light is being able to just plug in the factory connectors. I really hate cutting/splicing/crimping wiring harnesses. The only thing I wish Vagabond had put in the instructions would be a suggestion to super glue the flat washers to the top of the bracket. I'm still kicking myself for not thinking of that while I was juggling the hardware during installation.
The superglue idea is GREAT! You should email Vagabond with it!

Jim G

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About how long did it take you to install? I was flipping through some videos on Youtube the other day and came across the Vagabond video for this fender eliminator. The video seemed to explain it pretty well and I liked the look and being able to use the OEM parts. Definitely thinking I'll be picking this one up in the near future.
On a "gross" level,it took me 1.5 hours, but that included, in my unique case:

- Taking the required tools down in the condo elevator to the underground parking maintenance room

- Adding some more tools I routinely keep in my unit storage locker in the garage

- Uncovering and unlocking the Z125 and then rolling it into the maintenance room where I could do the work unobserved (not supposed to do any work in the garage, but the condo association rules don't say anything about the maintenance room, and the Z125 fits easily through a standard 36" doorway :wink2: )

- Figuring out which of the wiring connectors was the license plate one (The video does not say the wire colours, but turns out the way you know is the license plate connector is the one bundled in the funny rubber insulator blanket on the LH side of the bike)

- Spending several minutes figuring out that the signal light "plates" with the threaded hole in them go back in with the threaded "snout" facing OUTWARD (I couldn't remember which way they had been installed when I had removed them because I foolishly failed to record that)

- Struggling a bit with getting the washers inserted above the mounting plate for each of the 4 bolts (I have large fingers, and so had to use a set of needlenose pliers, which was awkward)

- Weighing the "net" parts removed and weighing the new parts installed, as this bike is a weight reduction project, so I keep strict records

- Collecting and moving all the tools back to where they belong

- Moving the bike back out of the maintenance room to its parking spot, relocking, and re-covering it.

It would have gone much faster if I could have had the install video intermittently playing as-needed on my laptop. I had intended to do that, but I forgot to download a copy of the video, and could not get a wifi signal in the underground reinforced concrete maintenance room! The video would have helped a LOT whenever I forgot how the installer did something.

The product and the video are both fantastic.

Jim G

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, yea it seemed like it'd be decently easy, just snapping the OEM indicators out and back in could be a little tricky. I think that will be my project for next week.
The connectors unsnap actually pretty easily, because you can SEE how they work when holding them. Tip: Have a troublelight or headband light handy - more light makes all the difference on this job!

Jim G

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the vagabond and love it. I took the ipad out to the garage and watched a couple steps, paused the video did what I saw and then watched a couple more steps. I would say however long the video is it took me twice as long, that would be 2 min. watching then 2 min. doing until I was done.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I could lose 2.2lbs by skipping a meal.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Heck, some of us could never put it on in the first place.

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Keto baby. I was turning into a fat *** so I used on office weight loss comp to motivate me. Lost 30 lbs in 8 weeks. zero exercise. This was 3 months ago I kept it off. I limit my carb intake to less than 60 grams a day and pretty much eat whatever else I want. Bacon for breakfast every day. I'm 5-8 152 lbs and feel great! Starting to lift now...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, guys. This is all very interesting (and my wife does Keto so I know all about it), but this is a thread about the Vagabond fender eliminator. Please . . .

Jim G

·
Registered
933 Posts
^bahaha^

Ok, so back on topic. Has anyone compared the MNNTHBX basic elim and the vagabond? They looked the same to me so I went with the one that supports this forum. It's great so far.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^bahaha^

Ok, so back on topic. Has anyone compared the MNNTHBX basic elim and the vagabond? They looked the same to me so I went with the one that supports this forum. It's great so far.
I have not examined the MNNTHBX fender eliminator offering because I was so pleased with the Vagabond offering that I installed on my Yamaha R3 and just went with the same product I used there, but the key features of the Vagabond kit are:

- Allows using either the OEM or aftermarket signals and license plate light. This is particularly important on the Z125 since you cannot replace the flasher relay to correct for hyperflash, since the Z125 does not use a flasher relay at all, but rather has the flash rate controlled directly by the ECU. Therefore, if you use aftrmarket LED signals or LED license plate light, you need to also use a special flash correction "blackbox" that (a) cost more than a flasher relay and (b) more importantly inserts a non-OEM wiring dongle into the OEM wiring harness and also unwraps and alters an OEM wiring bundle. This is very undesirable, especially if you subsequently go in for warranty electrical work.

- Uses a VERY robust, yet still compact and lightweight, mounting bracket that also has a robust powdercoated finish. It does not bend or vibrate in use and never corrodes or breaks

- Has rubber damper buttons to keep the license plate from vibrating against the moutning bracket

-Uses all stainless hardware

- Successfully reduces the amount of "bounciness" in the license plate light withOUT removing the rubber mounting, whose removal would make the license plate lightbulb subject to premature failure due to vibration

- Provides that rubber grommet which protects the signal light wires and licence plate wires from abrasion AND keeps washwater and roadspray out of the tail section

- Provides those 4 fender washers that "drop" the mount plate slightly so that the OEM "raised metal border" on the bottomside of the tailsection does not otherwise either force any aftermarket mounting plate to bend OR allows water into the tail (see the Vagabond video to understand this, and its importance, clearly)

- Has proper, and properly colourcoded , wiring connectors that snap properly into the OEM connectors

- Has that great video that explains EVERYTHING and the REASON for every feature and installation step

- Enables easy restoration to OEM if you sell your bike OR get a fix-it ticket from a zealous police officer for running non-OEM lighting

- Despite all the features, still weighs only 0.55 lb on my digital scale.

Hopefully the MNNTHBX offering has the same or equivalent features? If so, yes, go with the forum supporting vendor, because the support is important to us and merits our support.

Jim G

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hhmmm, the only things my MNNTHBX basic was missing from that list are as follows:

1.) A grommet for the wire passthrough
2.) Anti-vibe for the OEM plate light
3.) Install vid (not needed, and I LOVE a good install walkthrough)
4.) Fender washer spacers (I don't get the purpose, I'll have to watch the video as suggested)

Of that list the biggest issue I have is the hard mounted plate light, I toyed with it for a while to see if I could isolate it from vibration to no avail. We'll see how long it lasts. Looks like they've got some stiff competition.

Why did the Vagabond come with new wiring connectors if you are re-using OEM lighting?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts