Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trail Tech 72-ET1

Pretty neat..the thermocouple replaces the crush washer on the 10mm spark plug threads. Air temp was around 85f this pm..drove around for about 15 min..max temp was 351f. Installing an oil cooler and oil pump (TAKEGAWA PRODUCTS via Hardracing) upgrade over the weekend. Will post what effects those have on the head temps.

Registered
How accurate are those plug sensors? Do you have a ir heat gun to verify?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I do have a cheapie IR monitor. Wasn't all that surprised tho as my Corvair Spyder would sometimes hit 400+and the Buell sees 350f with an aviation head temp gauge which uses similar spark plug thermocouples. I would think this might be the absolute highest head temp area? I know it was reading 85f prior to installing when my outdoor thermo said 83f.

Unfortunately, Spark plug heat sensors aren't very helpful for knowing how your motors temps.
They only read the combustion temps.

The more accurate measurement would be to have a sensor that's actually in the Oil path.

Then you know can see more accurate temp. measurements.

Reactions: Lobot and Bludc2

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Update...sorta. I forgot to remove the crush washer off the plug yesterday. Did that today and saw a max of 302f this am and 313f this pm on the commute. Not sure if that would make much difference, but.. Agree on the location of the thermocouple...maybe I can find a spot to bolt it on to the head somewheres?

Registered
I have the same Trailtech CHT gauge and am looking to adapt an 8mm ring to the end so I can bolt it under one of the oil line banjo bolts on the cylinder head. Might give a better reading with oil flowing next to it. Ideally I need to have a temp probe screwed into the oil filter housing to touch the oil flowing by. I agree that under the sparkplug isn't the most accurate location for a temp probe on this engine.

Registered
How accurate are those plug sensors? Do you have a ir heat gun to verify?
I wouldn't worry how accurate it is
each bike will be different

its good to get a baseline reading
then one day if you see it change dramatically then that shows something is wrong

best to test it on the hottest temps you plan to ride in, and the coldest temps and average temps and write down all that info

on other bikes I uses to use oil temp dipstick gauges
used them before big bores
before oil coolers

they all worked great showing what happens after engine changes, and oil cooler changes
and its just a reference for that bike its on

the real question is whats too hot to start worrying about it

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thinking about mounting the thermo ring under one of the head nuts?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Went ahead and moved the thermocouple from under the plug to the upper right side head bolt. Torqued it back down to 16ft/lbs and went for a ride. Getting the exact opposite temp data as before: ie, the temp decreases with increasing mph (greater air flow). Highest temp was seen when idling at a stop light..207f. When up the speed it was around 150f. Air temp was around 80f and the roads were still slightly wet from today's rain. Oil temps were about 10f apart across the cooler at idle-per the IR gun. I suspect the difference is greater when at highway speeds.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Normal temp for cruising is right at 170-200f now. Hottest temps are post riding..after engine shutdown. Highest recorded has been 234f since relocation of the thermocouple. Sure wish I could get the laptop to connect to the Bazzaz unit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts