Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Z125 a little over a year ago, them felt like I “outgrew” it. Sold it, along with a scooter I had sitting around in the shop, and bought a Yamaha R3. Rode the Yamaha a bit, and then began to get a weird feeling.. “Is this faster, bigger bike as fun as my Z?” After thinking about it for a week or so, I think in my case the answer may be “no”.

I had always wanted a ”Crotch Rocket”, and the R3 seemed like the perfect way to get into riding one, full size but a manageable motor, lightweight, and a logical step up from the Z. Well after a few months riding the Yamaha I’ve been missing my Z BAD!

The thing to consider is that I’m not a commuter. Now, not to say that I would never commute, but it’s not an everyday, or even every week thing. I could take the backroads to work if I wanted to, but usually I just hop in my pickup to get to work quickly in the morning. Now that I’ve owned both bikes, I realize that I’m more of a ‘get out there and run around with no particular place to go’ kind of rider. I believe the Z is perfectly suited for that. TBH the R3 is SLICK and everything I want in the ‘idea’ of a bike, but I think that what I want from a bike (as well as what I want to put into it) is completely covered by the Z.

I have my Yamaha paid off, and I am thinking about doing something that kind of makes me feel funny.. Selling the R3 and getting another 125. Maybe another Z, maybe a Grom (please dont hate! I really like the blue the Honda comes in!). I miss having a small light bike that is effortless to ride, the Yamaha R3 is a beautiful, fantastic bike, but I just dont know if it’s my style, as far as riding is concerned. I thought I wanted to go faster, but frankly, it’s just not really my thing. I dont like people trying to race me constantly (Even though it’s only 321cc), and I liked the small, carefree nature of the 125. Plus, I could load it up in the back of my truck easily and take it anywhere I wanna go.

I made this thread to ask you riders... what would you do?

My R3 is pretty much mint, it doesn’t have a ton of miles, been garage kept, has a few upgrades, and with them being pretty scarce in OK these days, I’m sure I could sell it and not lose the farm. Sure I’d be out a little bit of money, but that’s not the end of the world. I’m leaning towards selling it and buying a new 125 once the dust settles.

I sure would like some opinion and insight into this situation. Has anyone else ever found themselves in a situation like this? What did you do? I don’t really need (or can afford) 2 bikes, so that’s not an option for me at the moment, FWIW.

Thanks in advance for reading this. I knew the day I made my “See ya later” post that I’d be back, I just didn’t think it’d be so soon!

I’d really appreciate any honest opinion and constructive criticism you may have.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
291 Posts
The Z125 is an awesome bike. But, it may not be the best only bike for everyone.

For me, it's important to have a bike that's unassuming and just pure fun. The Z125 is excellent at this.

It's also important to have a bike that goes at least double any posted speed limit The Z125 ........errrr, maybe not so much.

More than one is the answer to your problem. It's not marriage. They don't get mad when you ride another one, and they don't take half your s#!t if you do.

They also don't get headaches.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Keep the R3 for those highway stints and get another Z. Everyone should have 2 bikes minimum. A long distance touring bike and a short distance fun bike.

A lot of people goe through a stage where they think bigger is better until they finally realize more power and more speed isn't truly where the fun is. Then they either downscale to bikes that are actually fun to drive or just slowly fade out of the hobby. Be glad you got to this realization before needing to run out and get a 600 or a 1000.

And before you buy that Grom, stop back here if you need to be reminded of the reasons why the Z125 is a better bike: Better suspension from the factory, better cornering clearance, better looking bodywork.

If I had an R3 I'd make it into a touring bike. At least then nobody would bother trying to race me.

More than one is the answer to your problem. It's not marriage. They don't get mad when you ride another one, and they don't take half your s#!t if you do.
I don't know man, I swear I hear each of my bikes say "pick me! pick me!" when I walk out into the garage. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,875 Posts
Read through the lines :rolleyes::unsure:;)

“Is this faster, bigger bike as fun as my Z?”
I think in my case the answer may be “no”.
I thought I wanted to go faster, but frankly, it’s just not really my thing.

I’ve been missing my Z BAD!
I think that what I want from a bike is completely covered by the Z.

I’m leaning towards selling it and buying a new 125 once the dust settles.
Maybe another Z, maybe a Grom (please dont hate! I really like the blue the Honda comes in!).

"Welcome Back"

2021 PEARL NIGHTSHADE TEAL.png

·
Registered
286 Posts
I agree with the 2 bikes even of you said it's not preferred due to cost reasons.

It's always fun to feel like ur at the limit. Maybe it's the adrenaline that comes with it and the z125 does that so beautifully even if it maxes out at such "low speeds". You can ride like a hooligan in the city, smaller bikes turn in easier. And your usually not breaking any rules.

If you need to get on a hwy, go for a ride with friends with bigger bikes or go On a trip u def need a 250 cc minimum. I prefer around 650 but the 300 is more than capable.

If we got the Suzuki gsxs 125 like Asia does I'd say go for that. The from and z are quite similar that if you mod them and fix their quirks u might be happy with either. I liked the z better hence why I got one. Also they seem to be cheaper

·
Registered
18 Posts
OP, as you have now realized, these mini bikes ( specifically the Z ) offer a kind of riding fun that no other bike does. You’re gonna need to get another one. Personally, I’d keep the Yamaha for two up and highway duty. Mine are a 2018 Z125 and a brand new Z400.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mate keep the R3 and get z125 or Grom.
I’ve got a Gsxs1000 plus the z125 Just having one bike sucks.
The z125 is cheap to own so no excuses for not keeping the R3.(y)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Agreed, need two bikes. I have the z900RS and the Z125, both are perfect for the uses I have.

Another vote for the "keep the Ahhh 3 and get another Z" side of the things

·
Registered
804 Posts
+1 on all of the above. I have always had big bikes. My VFR1200 is an absolute blast to ride, but I didn't even but the battery in it this summer. Going fast on a small bike > going slow on a fast bike.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think for the least amount of fabrication for the most power would be the 212 cc Daytona zs 190 engine from steady garage with the EFI kit and the engine mount bracket so u don't have to drill any mounts. Anything else would be too much custom work that can't be reverted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought a Z125 a little over a year ago, them felt like I “outgrew” it. Sold it, along with a scooter I had sitting around in the shop, and bought a Yamaha R3. Rode the Yamaha a bit, and then began to get a weird feeling.. “Is this faster, bigger bike as fun as my Z?” After thinking about it for a week or so, I think in my case the answer may be “no”.

I had always wanted a ”Crotch Rocket”, and the R3 seemed like the perfect way to get into riding one, full size but a manageable motor, lightweight, and a logical step up from the Z. Well after a few months riding the Yamaha I’ve been missing my Z BAD!

The thing to consider is that I’m not a commuter. Now, not to say that I would never commute, but it’s not an everyday, or even every week thing. I could take the backroads to work if I wanted to, but usually I just hop in my pickup to get to work quickly in the morning. Now that I’ve owned both bikes, I realize that I’m more of a ‘get out there and run around with no particular place to go’ kind of rider. I believe the Z is perfectly suited for that. TBH the R3 is SLICK and everything I want in the ‘idea’ of a bike, but I think that what I want from a bike (as well as what I want to put into it) is completely covered by the Z.

I have my Yamaha paid off, and I am thinking about doing something that kind of makes me feel funny.. Selling the R3 and getting another 125. Maybe another Z, maybe a Grom (please dont hate! I really like the blue the Honda comes in!). I miss having a small light bike that is effortless to ride, the Yamaha R3 is a beautiful, fantastic bike, but I just dont know if it’s my style, as far as riding is concerned. I thought I wanted to go faster, but frankly, it’s just not really my thing. I dont like people trying to race me constantly (Even though it’s only 321cc), and I liked the small, carefree nature of the 125. Plus, I could load it up in the back of my truck easily and take it anywhere I wanna go.

My R3 is pretty much mint, it doesn’t have a ton of miles, been garage kept, has a few upgrades, and with them being pretty scarce in OK these days, I’m sure I could sell it and not lose the farm. Sure I’d be out a little bit of money, but that’s not the end of the world. I’m leaning towards selling it and buying a new 125 once the dust settles.

I sure would like some opinion and insight into this situation. Has anyone else ever found themselves in a situation like this? What did you do? I don’t really need (or can afford) 2 bikes, so that’s not an option for me at the moment, FWIW.

Thanks in advance for reading this. I knew the day I made my “See ya later” post that I’d be back, I just didn’t think it’d be so soon!

I’d really appreciate any honest opinion and constructive criticism you may have.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Keep the R3 and get another Z125. It’s always fun to have 2 bikes and you will never regret it! I ride my ZX6R to the canyons and I ride the Z125 for fun on the streets. Good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep the R3 and get another Z125. It’s always fun to have 2 bikes and you will never regret it! I ride my ZX6R to the canyons and I ride the Z125 for fun on the streets. Good luck!
Good advice (that I keep hearing over and over again, FWIW). I think I’ll take it! Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
915 Posts
+1 Keep the R3 and get a Teal 2021 Z!

I think 3 bikes is the ideal number. You can appropriately split up tasks to their appropriate tools, and still give them all some love. Unfortunately my wife doesn't agree and I have to cut back to two. Either selling one of the two Zs or the big bike. (I'm thinking I'll post them for sale at the same time and let fate decide.)

·
Registered
2017 z125 pro
53 Posts
Maybe the 300 and the Z are too similar and fate wants you to get a faster big bike and a new Z. A lime green zx6r parked next to a lime green Z125 would be sweet

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in the opposite boat. I just picked up a little Z about a month ago and I'm sitting at 280 some miles. Lately I've been wondering if I should've just got a real bike. When I picked up the Z my thinking was if I'm forced to ride at slower speeds on slower roads that it would be somewhat safe. Well I keep having people "almost" pull out in front of me. I wear hi-vis yellow and I flash my brights but people still see me at the last second and slam on the brakes. One of these times they're not going to stop and I may or may not be able to avoid them. So I've been thinking I'd be better off out on the open road where there's less intersections, side streets, driveways, business entrances & exits, basically opportunities for people to pull out in front of me. But then I think if something did happen the results would be that much worse at higher speeds. I was tempted to trade it in on a MT-07 last weekend. I took one for a demo ride a couple years ago and I looked down and I was doing 80 and I wasn't even in 6th gear. It doesn't have the sock-n-awe power of a 1000 cc sport bike or even a 600 cc sport bike that's wound out. But it still has plenty of power to have fun with and it feels / handles so much lighter than the 4 cylinder bikes. I'll probably be parking the little Z for the winter soon, next spring will be decision time.

·
Registered
804 Posts
..I looked down and I was doing 80 and I wasn't even in 6th gear....
Therein lies my problem with bigger bikes. My VFR1200 just starts stretching it's legs at triple digit speeds. The summer before I got my mini, I was chasing a Z06 up some ABC roads in WI. On a few open stretches I was going a quite a bit more than double the speed limit... Exhilarating, but also could have gone tits up in a hurry. The Z is fun because I have to be creative to get where I want to go. Side roads, carrying corner speed, stoppies at every light, etc. On my big bikes, I get lazy and just hop on the freeway... then get pissed when I'm stuck in traffic.

I've been looking at downsizing a bit. Sell my VFR1200 and my SV650 track bike and pick up an FZ07 for track days and slogging around with my dad on day trips... but that's just me.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts