Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Using the bike for Duel Sport' it had to have a better turning radius . so I Reworked the front stop by removing .200 (3/16") from each side of the stop .It Decreased Turning Radius by 38" (ya i measured !). the bike always did feel funny with the limited turning , but now feels like a regular bike .
100_0821 by jeff nichols, on Flickr
just used a hacksaw blade by hand down to the weld , then broke it off sideways with a hammer and chisel . the triple clamp stops will clear the remaining .200 (3/16) weld area sections .
100_0805 by jeff nichols, on Flickr
.200 (3/16") TOTAL' (not to center of hacksaw blade ) is the max you can take off !
The Forks still clear and don't touch the tank pocket with 1/8 clearance and headlight still has a 1/8 clearance on full lock (both sides) before it hits the Tank, and doesn't hit on my leg any worse than it was doing .
100_0832 by jeff nichols, on Flickr
100_0835 by jeff nichols, on Flickr
Handlebars at full lock went from this (to) this.
100_0800 by jeff nichols, on Flickr
100_0837 by jeff nichols, on Flickr
Using my mini track in my yard .........
Red Line was the full lock turning radius before trimming the front stop , and the blue arrow is now is the difference is the new turning radius . averaged out to be around 38" sharper turn at full lock .
100_0843 by jeff nichols, on Flickr
. So a definite Must for all those riding tight trails .. or even you street only riders , just making a sharper u-turn on the street or in the Pits it is still a great improvement ..

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not at all , you just have to pull the headlight off or just up off the bottom to pins and set it out of the way or unplug everything and take it off
Two bolts at the top (pic/red)
Make sure you stay under the 3/16" Max' or your headlight will hit the tank shrouds and the fork tubes will hit the tank
this really is a must for everybody .. You cant even turn the bike around in the garage without making a 6 point turn out of it

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bars hit before the stock stop, I'm thinking of adding a shim to my stops to make it hit earlier.
Good Point everyone , make sure your handlebars settings or lower aftermarket bars will allow the extra turning radius !!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
this really is a must for everybody .. You cant even turn the bike around in the garage without making a 6 point turn out of it
This might be slightly exaggerated. ;] I've been parking our little Z on the sidewalk at work and it can easily U-turn on ~7' of concrete. If it doesn't bug you, don't change it. I could see how you would want a little extra maneuverability off road though.

I don't know about you guys but if i'm really in a tight spot I just pick up the rear wheel or pivot the bike on the kickstand. Oh the advantages of a 200lb bike!

:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright Alright ..... I'll change it to #4
Unless somebody has a totally empty garage :wink2:
Gee, it was just a metafore :rolleyes:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ando - I've got a benz, a sandrail, 2 huge work benches, a hanging heavy bag, a bunch of tool cabinets, a welding station, and 3 motorcycles in my garage. I have def picked it up by the tail before lol!

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
or pivot the bike on the kickstand. Oh the advantages of a 200lb bike!

:grin2:
I just rock the bike onto it's side stand and spin it around. Literally turns on a dime.
Just went out and tried it ..... and it works just as well on my big bike :wink2:

Cant even say thanks enough for this trick :surprise:
when i think about how many times i could have used this on single track dead ends ;) or in my garage

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just went out and tried it ..... and it works just as well on my big bike :wink2:

Cant even say thanks enough for this trick :surprise:
when i think about how many times i could have used this on single track dead ends ;) or in my garage
Where do you hold the bike while spinning it? Right hand/left hand?
What side do you stand on?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ando or crackerjak should do a youTube on this trick
I'll never seen it or heard about it until today !!!
Stand on the Kickstand side
legs straddling the kickstand
Handlebars full right turn to stop, favor the pull on right grip to keep pressure on stop.
lean bike back till both wheels 2-4" off the ground
Control teeter-totter balance with handlebar pressure
Spin It around while walking it around
right hip against seat if you need to
then again thats what i did out of instinct ?
ando or crackerjac probably have a easier way ?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Sounds like you have both of your hands on the grips? I only grab the left. The right hand goes somewhere along the tail of the bike so your force is nicely distributed. From the dirt days I have a habit of reaching across the bike but if you have something sturdy to grab elsewhere on the tail use whatever works best.

Basically this.

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yes, holding the bars like when riding !

Video...............
I just tried that a bunch of times ......... and thats actually way harder :surprise:
My Big bike was twice as heavy to pull up on the stand (actually tweaked my back, no joke!) and even harder to control the teeter-totter with fighting the bars at middle/straight on position . and a lot harder to stay balanced on my feet as I shuffled around in a circle ,also a lot more full body isometrics strength involved .
After trying both ways a couple of more times I'm actually doing it with ONE HAND now with the FULL RIGHT LOCK technique once I pull the bike up on the stand and get it to start the spin ..
Looks like time for a new video ..... One handed Rodeo Style :grin2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts