Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the OTB intake plate and power commander recently and figured I'd have a tinker with the ignition timing. I made a custom advance map for the PCV similar to those used on the grom and put it onto map 2. Then took it out and tested it. Didn't notice much of a change but at least it didn't start pinging. My guess is you'd need to stick it on a dyno to check the differences.

Anyone else been messing around the ignition timing?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine has been on a dyno with a pipe, intake and power commander. 1 degree of advance is about all you want. 2,3 & 4 degrees of advance made little or no difference over 1 degree. Groms respond to advance, Z125's not so much. Stick to 1 degree and avoid ping---or worse things happening.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can that 1 degree be done at the timing chain? on the cam sprocket
or is that something different
That would be adjusting the cam timing rather than the ignition timing. The only other way to adjust the ignition timing is to play with the crank sensor position, but I'm not sure how possible that is with this engine. As Ohiomsta said, it's easy with the power commander.

Good to hear the results of someone that's actually done it on a dyno. My feeling was that it was running better on the stock timing than with +4 advance. So it makes sense, to me, that +1 degree is close to optimal. Thanks for your input Ohiomsta!

·
Registered
347 Posts
well then I guess if you slot out the mounts on the pickup sensor I suppose timing could be changed then, if it can move enough to one side

·
Registered
13 Posts
ign timing

Mine has been on a dyno with a pipe, intake and power commander. 1 degree of advance is about all you want. 2,3 & 4 degrees of advance made little or no difference over 1 degree. Groms respond to advance, Z125's not so much. Stick to 1 degree and avoid ping---or worse things happening.
it sounds as if the Kawasaki engineers got the ignition timing right according to the FUEL octane/ron number. You can only tune engines to the fuel that's recommended,especially if the engine doesn't have a knock sensor like modern cars do.The engineers make a compromise on everything, then give it a emissions test and it better pass or no registration. its that easy.cheers:wink2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts