Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just purchased a gently used (but heavily modified) z125 in the Cincinnati area. Loving the bike so far, but had a few questions.
1- The bike idles with wavering rpm, not sure if that is normal, perhaps not, it idles at around 1000-1400 rpm is that normal?
2- The previous owner put a few mods in, pro-taper handle bar, modified headlight I think. Anyway I'm having problems with the head light, it shuts off at odd times and I just get the regular light going only. I think the light is sucking too much juice out of the battery/alternator, it seems to be affecting the idle rpm too. I have had the engine shut off a few times on me at a traffic light, its also shut off at low speed in 1st gear once or twice, and now I'm getting the red battery warning light. I am not very good with electronics but is there a way to diagnose what is going? I would consider going back to the stock headlight just wanted any of your thoughts. Anyone have a stock setup they'd be willing to sell me ? I could put some pictures up to get some help diagnosing what mod I have.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry correction it idles about 1500-1600, if i open the throttle and close it sticks at 2000 rpm for a few seconds before coming down to about 1800-1600 rpm. I noticed some flickering on the gauges when revving it up slightly. Is this an electrical issue?

·
Registered
165 Posts
The red battery indicator light might signal a charging system problem. Any idea what kind of aftermarket headlight you have in it? Just a guess here, but I have seen problems on other bikes due to some cheap aftermarket HID systems that pull a lot of current even while idling. Since a typical charging system doesn't produce a lot of power at idle you might try pulling the headlight fuse and riding it to see if that makes a difference. There are some good HID lights that don't pull as much current and most LED bulbs require much less power to operate so if the headlight is the cause there are better replacements out there. If it continues then you might need a mechanic to take a closer look at it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The red battery indicator light might signal a charging system problem. Any idea what kind of aftermarket headlight you have in it? Just a guess here, but I have seen problems on other bikes due to some cheap aftermarket HID systems that pull a lot of current even while idling. Since a typical charging system doesn't produce a lot of power at idle you might try pulling the headlight fuse and riding it to see if that makes a difference. There are some good HID lights that don't pull as much current and most LED bulbs require much less power to operate so if the headlight is the cause there are better replacements out there. If it continues then you might need a mechanic to take a closer look at it.
Lobot thanks for the reply I disconnected the headlight but it seems to idle rough still, with the fuel gauge and other indicators still flickering. I got worried about the idling as it seems the previous owner has a non stock intake and I read about how you need fuel controllers. Pulled the spark plug and it looks okay no signs of running absurdly lean. Anyway it seems like it’s a charging issue. Any recommendations on other headlight kits that would work better?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Lobot,
Did a few checks after charging the bike. At idle I have 14.4v volts but when I rev up to 4k rpm I get about 13.8v, which is weird I would think the voltage would go up as you rev up a little. This correlates with my light dimming when I rev up. Is this a charging issue you reckon? I wonder if it'll affect my idle. Also noticed there is a after market intake on it, perhaps that is why its running idle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts