Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock rod was not as bad as it seemed at first . it turned out to be a very close tolerance fit , and the rod is hardened , but the holes they go through are not and would eventually start to wear and only get worse .
There being no room for jam nuts to speak of I went with 2 right hand thread hyme joints and cut the all thread just shy of it bottoming out in both hymes . so it will never change the shiftier height with out taking a bolt out and Turning the hyme. and no need to clock them together correctly ,
Pic 1 / I set the shiftier to my wanted foot location and everything to 90 degrees as possible to try to shorten the throw , but only reduced it by 1/8" . and removing the linage slop was another 1/8" so I did not get me the 3/8" I was hoping for .
Pic 2 / down-shift
Pic 3 / up-shift
Pic 4 / bottoms up
Pic 5 and 6 / Poor mans Rear Set for under 20 bucks with the foot peg mod' :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amazon . Search / RH Female Heim Joint Rod Ends, 1/4 Inch

2 of Aluminum RH Female Heim Joint Rod Ends, 1/4 Inch
Sold by: Speedway Motors
$7.99
Buy it again

I used the self cleaning Heim Joint type and 2 1/4" bolts
slight ream on the bike required
16 bucks total ... had the bolts.
But another post here for standard Heim Joint type from Mcmaster.com.

https://www.z125owners.com/forum/ka...art-track-tool-build-thread-8.html#post109314

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talk about Karma :|

After suggesting some hyme joints just yesterday Mine left me stuck in third gear today .

I was testing a new suspension mod in the nastiest rock section i could find and hit the front hyme on a rock and it froze up and not being able to pivot any more i could not shift... Having no tools on me I drove it home in third gear ... if i had tools i could have loosened the 1/4" nut since it has a lock nut and let it pivot on the bolt
But Noooooooo...... (i don't need my tools with me today) I'm just going to go bounce it through some rocks real quick :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went with heim joints also, but I used a male and female joint and lock nut. I found them at my local Ace Hardware. They were labeled rod ends and IIRC the 1/4 inch size fit perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been running the heim joint mod for a while and it is night and day. I instead ordered 6mm ends and cut a piece of 6mm redi-rod. The 6mm required no reaming of the linkage but is easier to find for us Canadians.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts