Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a few pictures of the Z125 in it's shipping container for anyone who was curious about how they get the bike from point "a" to point "b".

·
Registered
330 Posts
Nothing new, that's just about how all bikes are shipped. Expect some bikes come with more direction protection on the finish instead of being as open as the Z125 is.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I was actually expecting a lot more padding instead of having it stand with just a few blocks of wood between it and the actual crate.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Same here. Expected to see bubble wrap. But maybe they figured that shouldn't be the case since they're produced in Thailand. If it was to be shipped half way around the world, then it would be different.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably why NA isn't seeing the Z125. The shipping logistics is going to be a pain for Kawasaki. It'll need to be packed to withstand the long travel by boat and truck.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I HIGHLY doubt that is the issue here. What more do you really think needs to be done to get them here? Because there's no way that's a reason to not bring it over. Other bikes makes have been doing this without shipping & logistics being a roadblock.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Crate size won't make any noticeable difference, there are far more important things to factor in to it going to other markets.

·
Registered
290 Posts
This is how it'll probably be shipped overseas. This one arrived in Australia and it's got a sturdy metal frame to keep the Z125 safe.
That original posted photo in the wood crate definitely doesn't show a Z125 as crated by Kawasaki. Probably done later by someone else. Perhaps a Gray Market shipment to another country.

All Kawasakis (and other brands) I've ever seen were in the metal crates with cardboard covers.

Reactions: Lobot

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm starting to think it's from some middle man that probably got these in bulk so they weren't packaged individually, so they had to do it themselves. Always knew the OEM would have better packaging procedures, something didn't 'click' with this right from the start.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is how it'll probably be shipped overseas. This one arrived in Australia and it's got a sturdy metal frame to keep the Z125 safe.

Great pictures! I've spent a considerable amount of time here staring at the screen wondering how they keep these amazing little machines secure during transit. I initially assumed that they must be tied down or secured in a similar fashion so as to remain upright when riding the waves... but it simply looks as if the bikes are floating! Can someone who has perhaps seen this firsthand chime in and share how the bikes are secured in the shipping crates and don't simply fall over??

Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah, those metal crates are how all "production line" Kawasakis and other Japanese bikes arrive at my local dealership. The crate has a bracket that is bolted to the handlebar mounts and the wheels are chocked so it can't move inside. Those wooden crates are definitely not what it left the factory in. That wooden crate looks like it was recycled from something else!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah, those metal crates are how all "production line" Kawasakis and other Japanese bikes arrive at my local dealership. The crate has a bracket that is bolted to the handlebar mounts and the wheels are chocked so it can't move inside. Those wooden crates are definitely not what it left the factory in. That wooden crate looks like it was recycled from something else!
Good information, Lobot. Ah, so the bikes are chocked + supported through the handle bars in a similar fashion to using a Canyon Dancer? That's pretty cool, but I'm still wondering... are the forks compressed during transit when they are packed in crates or is the main stabilizing load simply directed horizontally through the handle bars?

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you look at the above photos of the bikes in the steel crates you might see the flat metal bracket that bolts to the handle bar clamp mounts. It's removed when the handlebars are installed. The Z125 suspension is not compressed so it merely rides on it's suspension, which carries all the weight during transit. It must work okay as most types of bikes I've seen are packed like this. Some bikes like the 450 motocross bikes are shipped with the front wheel off to fit in a smaller crate, I guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts