Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have changed over to a Chimera intake, how much louder is it than the OEM filterbox / intake?

I'm doing a Graves full exhaust, and of course it makes sense to also do the intake (Otherwise you are taking out 1 of the 2 big restrictions, but the remaining restriction still acts as a "cork" on air flow - same situation as on a Harley, where if you change only the exhaust and leave the OEM intake, you leave much of the potential power increase unachieved).

But I keep hearing, for both the Z125 and Grom, that the Chimera intake adds a LOT more intake noise.

For those who actually have made the switch to a Chimera, just how notable IS the intake sound increase?

Jim G

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, oh. Did you get any provable power increase (e.g. increase in top speed) or JUST more noise? What exhaust are you running, as naturally that is the other "cork", so affects what the Chimera can or cannot do?

Jim G

·
Registered
368 Posts
So DIY intake is same K&N filter that comes with Chimera but you reuse curved tube connecting throttle body to stock air box. I'm going to assume 99% the same thing performance wise. Write up coming... waiting for some paint to dry.

Just like RC said significantly louder. Louder than the Ka'wee 10 cent exhaust mod. Loud enough that now I am worried that the Zoom may be too loud!!! But honestly I like it the intake a bit louder, has nice growl to it when you roll on throttle. Not too loud with throttle just cracked for late/early neighborhood driving. I've put K&N pods on most of my bikes before... for whatever reason on the Z the intake gets louder than the others. Maybe because the stock air box is so restrictive?

Speaking of restrictive, you asked about more power. Butt dyno says absolutely. But I think the proof is in my AFR readings. Immediately after installation cracked throttle cruising AFRs remained unchanged... but... WOT throttle open loop, before ECU was able to re-learn fuel trims, climbed by 0.7 points. So this means without a doubt more air is flowing. Also means that ECU is pumping more fuel during closed loop operation to maintain target AFR. More air + more fuel = more power. Towards the end of the (very short) ride WOT AFR started to drop... another sign indicating closed loop trims affect open loop fueling.

EDIT - You asked what exhaust I was running. 10 cent Kaw'ee mod, which is stock exhaust but effectively bypassing the 2nd cat so a bit less restrictive, but not as free flowing as any of the "full" systems.

The way I look at these exhausts are you have short and long. Zoom and Yoshi with the loop, and maybe the new Toce undertail are long. M4 and all the other ones without loop are short. Consensus is longer section of the pipe gives more back pressure which gives more low end torque. I feel like all "long" systems are going to be within 98% of each other performance wise and same with all "short" systems. There just isn't enough to these things to cause much performance variability in my opinion. They're all just a length of pipe with a resonator.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
. . .Just like RC said significantly louder. Louder than the Ka'wee 10 cent exhaust mod. Loud enough that now I am worried that the Zoom may be too loud!!! But honestly I like it the intake a bit louder, has nice growl to it when you roll on throttle. . . .
Growl??!!

You can get the Z125 to GROWL with a low restriction intake?

THAT might make it tempting despite the higher noise level! A 125cc bike that "growls" sounds intriguing!

I wonder how a less restrictive intake produces a growl when even aggressive exhausts don't seem to do so (they seem to sound LOUDER but not GROWLY!)

3 of us locally are thinking about starting a 1% club for Z125s and Groms, complete with 1%er patches! We will terrorize the local coffee shops. A less restrictive intake could be just the thing we need to instill fear into the locals as we go thundering by! :) (The locals here in Parksville, BC, Canada are mostly retirees even older than us - the median age of the town including all the young still-employed workers is 66). :)

Jim G

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Page 155 service Manuel...
So far I seeing all US models are the CAL models ?
Good time to ask !
Does anyone that bought there Z' here in US / "NOT HAVE" the canister on there bike ? Pic 2
I am assuming if they have the canister they have the 21175-1147 ECU
And you buying in Ca. (Canada) have the 211-1145 ECU
It was just a Heads up knowing your are pretty Thorough guy and want all the small details.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good time to ask !
Does anyone that bought there Z' here in US / "NOT HAVE" the canister on there bike ? Pic 2
It was just a Heads up knowing your are pretty Thorough guy and want all the small details.
Hmm, very interesting. Thank-you! That service manual table seems to show that there are TWO U.S. ECU versions, but you say you have only ever seen the "California" version.

This is similar to the situaiton on my Yamaha R3. My R3, being a Canadian model, does not have the canister, but all of the U.S. forum members seem to have the "California canister".

It COULD be that the percentage of California sales in the U.S. is high enough that both Kawasaki and Yamaha simply import ONLY the California version to the U.S.

On the Yamaha R3, it is also essential to remove the Air Injection System (AIS) as soon as you modify the exhaust, or else the bike starts to backfire on virtually every shift or throttle shutoff. The Z125 does not appear to have an AIS, probably because Kawasaki could gte it "clean" enough without AIS, given its small displacement.

Note also that the slight weight difference from market to market are dues at least partially to the weight of the AIS and the canister system.

Jim G

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good time to ask !
Im in washington and DO NOT have a canister. Just a void. What does that mean?

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
It means I shouldn't do so much assuming !
And Californians might not be able to register a out of state bike .
Maybe it's a CA. bike you being there neighbor ? ECU # would tell all.
But it just means you dont have evaporative control system the CAL models do

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
It means I shouldn't do so much assuming !
And Californians might not be able to register a out of state bike .
Maybe it's a CA. bike you being there neighbor ? ECU # would tell all.
But it just means you dont have evaporative control system the CAL models do
When i pull my plastics to send them out for paint i will take a pic of my ecu number 🙂. Nothing wrong with the paint just want something loud and bright so traffic sees me lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine was bought on 18 August 2018 in Florida . It has the EVAP canister and the sticker on the bottom rear of the fuel tank cover says it meets both US and California emissions requirements. The ECU number doesn't match anything in Kaw'ee's manual. The part number on mine is 21175-1402. FWIW the build date is 11/17 and the model year is 2018. I wonder if mine was built after the ECU recall and they went to a new part number (or maybe the dealer did the recall before I bought the bike and put in the different part).

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
My Manuel is second edition 2-9-2016 for the 2017's
Totally forgot the re-calls . my bike is a 2017' and Just checked mine.
after re-call install and it's also 21175-1402
And my dealers web page crossed out the old # and added this one.
Was just surprised to see so my different ones.
I wonder if any of them are programmed Richer ?
Ya, still looking for a way around the aftermarket Fuel controllers,
But at $409 for the stock ECU I would have to find a used one
Sorry for the hijack jim , I should have started a new thread for this question :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts