Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never bought a motorcycle before or a brand new vehicle, I feel like the dealer will sense this and try to gouge me. On the dealer website the bike is listed as $2,999.99 just like on kawis main website. I'm not gonna pay a cent over $3500 when its all said and done. How is it possible there would be more than $500 in fees?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Depends on what state you are in. Taxes vary, as well as registration fees. The state I am in is expensive, so it was about $400 for tax, title, and registration. You might get lucky and find a dealer willing to go down in price, but they don't make much on these, so don't count on it. Some people have been getting them pretty cheap from dealers who REALLY want to move them for whatever reason.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Here's how much mine was:
2017 at $2626.00
$129.00 Doc
$109.54 Title/Plates
$137.90 Sales Tax
$3005.44 Grand Total OTD

Note that I had to drive 120 miles to find a dealer with a better price than MSRP and no freight or setup charges. Your tax may vary, I'm in Wisconsin.

My advice, if a dealer wants to add more than $200 for freight and setup, walk away. If you pay more than about $3400 OTD, you paid too much. Your worst case should be MSRP + TTL + small doc fee. Anything else is just ADP. (additional dealer profit)

Check craigslist, Set it to dealers, set the radius to 200 miles with your zip code and search for z125. Make phone calls before you show up in person.

Also, pay cash and don't finance. If you can't do that, don't buy until you can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm paying cash for sure. Dumb question but why would there be freight + set up fees if the bike was already at the dealership?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm paying cash for sure. Dumb question but why would there be freight + set up fees if the bike was already at the dealership?
The bike comes in a crate, they have to install some components(not sure what exactly)

·
Registered
562 Posts
It's just ways to get more money from buyers.

There are real freight and setup charges that dealers do have to pay on all bikes, but it's normally a mere fraction of what they try to get the buyers to pay.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Freight, document fees, and other things like that are things all dealerships pay for. They can add it to the top line or to the bottom line, either way it's going to be included in their price. That's why it is best to just get the out the door price. When calling around make sure that's what you ask for. Same goes for car dealerships.

·
Registered
92 Posts
All my stealership did put on the handlebars,take it out of the box and put gass in it bam charge you$$$ also check the lights and test drive it

·
Registered
562 Posts
Here's a dirty little industry secret: freight and setup charges are built into the msrp. The factory selects the msrp based on what they know those costs will be.

In the 70's and early 80's, the factories mandated that the msrp include freight and setup. Dealers complained that it limits their profit making ability and subsequently convinced the factories to remove that statement and requirement. But the msrp is still set that way.

So people really need to recognize that freight and setup are truly ADP. (additional dealer profit) NO dealer has to charge for it. But if they can, if the market will bear it and they can get away with it, they will. You will see it the most at dealers that are in relatively remote regions. With nobody else 100 miles in any direction, they can do what they want. That's probably why I (in Appleton, WI) had to go all the way to Milwaukee to get a good deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i paid 2863 out the door with plates and everything in milwaukee wi for a 2018. im guessing its the same place as zaph being southeastsales, they dont charge freight or setup charges. you can search cycletrader for deals on new bikes in your area. kawasaki is giving away a decal pack for free until the end of the month with a z125 look on there site. i was on my dealers site the other day and it looks like the price went up since were a month closer to spring and summer and thats how it goes...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I paid 3700 otd on a red 2018 model. Could have gotten one a couple hundred dollars cheaper but didn't want to drive 100 miles to get it. I'm in the Florida panhandle so we don't have many big cities close by.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i paid 2863 out the door with plates and everything in milwaukee wi for a 2018. im guessing its the same place as zaph being southeastsales, they dont charge freight or setup charges. you can search cycletrader for deals on new bikes in your area. kawasaki is giving away a decal pack for free until the end of the month with a z125 look on there site. i was on my dealers site the other day and it looks like the price went up since were a month closer to spring and summer and thats how it goes...

I'm not sure how you get away with murder but that's what it sounds like if this was brand new, seeing as how MSRP is $3,199. Not sure how you would not only get it for $300 less but also include all associated fees but if so, good on you man! That's the deal I want!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got mine for 2900 Plus TTL in WA Around 3400 OTD and it was the best price I could find anywhere near me. One dealership was quoting $5200 OTD for the Groms they had. Crazy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
it was brand new with 0 or 1 miles. the other dealer in my area was asking 100 more but they wanted frieght and setup fees so its a no brainer. i bought my first bike there in 2007 a kawasaki zzr-600 from them at about the same time of year and it was cheaper then msrp out the door. i actually met the owner and he has a z125 thats all tricked out sounding like a hardly davidson which he raced at a local arena. awesome company who doesnt bullshit

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got mine for 2900 Plus TTL in WA Around 3400 OTD and it was the best price I could find anywhere near me. One dealership was quoting $5200 OTD for the Groms they had. Crazy.
There was a dealer near me that tried pulling that same crap stating that they were in such huge demand. I guess he must not have noticed that I had stopped in a few months back and the same one was still sitting on the floor. Some demand. Doesn't warrant your artificial garbage inflation prices to make more money. I get they don't make a lot of money on them but that always and forever will take business elsewhere in those situations so I'm not sure how it benefits them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There was a dealer near me that tried pulling that same crap stating that they were in such huge demand. I guess he must not have noticed that I had stopped in a few months back and the same one was still sitting on the floor. Some demand. Doesn't warrant your artificial garbage inflation prices to make more money. I get they don't make a lot of money on them but that always and forever will take business elsewhere in those situations so I'm not sure how it benefits them.
Especially When you can drive 10 minutes away and get them for 1k cheaper. This particular dealer just got bought out and is under a new owner, used to be great but I'm not headed back to them anytime soon. $4800 OTD for a z125, I would be amazing if they sell anything there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Also beware of cycle trader ads that say 2499 or 2599...most of those places charge $500 more in setup fees and you'll still be paying 3500+ otd

·
Registered
788 Posts
I bought a 2018 with ~300 miles for ~$2600 including tax and title transfer. It's really hard to justify $500-$1k for 300 miles.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts