Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@MindThreat Sorry bud, but I think taking it easy and granny shifting is too much of a drawback just give your ears a fighting chance. Revert to stealth mode and rip it!
You're right. After riding it for another hour, sleeping on it and then thinking about it on the way to work this morning, I'm reverting back. Thankfully it'll be a breeze since the stock exhaust is so easy to deal with.

Disappointing because I really do enjoy the way it looks and sounds when you're not fully ripping it.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Hornets Nest: 0
Sewing Machine: 1

·
Registered
2 Posts
So..... anyone got an exhaust they want to let go cheap? Was looking at an Anodizing racing one for $115 shipped. Wouldn't be opposed to a lightly used one for less, or a better exhaust for about the same.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the Zoom brute abs I don't think it's that loud. Especially looking at the design, you would think it'd be louder. I'm planning on removing the baffle that was in it when it arrived.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have the Zoom brute and I don't think it's that loud.
Agreed, at least from video. I wanted one 2 mins into watching your offroad video. But, as stated earlier, it has more to do with throttle application and engine load. Your video was a pretty ideal demo of the pipe, varied throttle, light loads, low speeds.

WOT for an hour it might still make me deaf. Hopefully I can hear one in person this summer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry the aftermarket pipe didn't work out for you...Personally I love that now you can hear this little bike
coming down the road.Too many drivers not paying attention before I installed mine.
Bottom line.....its for safety purposes...:smile2:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sorry the aftermarket pipe didn't work out for you...Personally I love that now you can hear this little bike
coming down the road.Too many drivers not paying attention before I installed mine.
Bottom line.....its for safety purposes.../forum/images/Z125owners/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
No worries. I’ve finally reverted back to stock exhaust and I can’t believe I’m going to say this but it’s the best mod I’ve done.

After riding about 90 miles with the stock back on, I can appreciate the stealth-like nature of it and didn’t feel uncomfortable taking it in an offroadsy area where I like to explore without drawing attention.

The other night I passed back and forth by a Ninja 250 and I was blown away as well by just how quiet the stock exhaust is on that thing too!

I had it in the back of my mind that I would keep the Motoo in case I ever decide to toss it back on for weekend ripping with the other guys but I don’t care. I’m not getting any younger and my hearing is more important plus pretty good with paying attention to others and my surroundings but I understand what you mean about wanting to be heard when it’s most important.

I’d probably let it go for $80 shipped.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My exhaust (zoom) is loud but I rather be annoying so cars can hear me then ran over riding a 2 wheel Tesla, y’all think the exhaust is loud buy a aRacer mini 5 and set the backfire mode up, anything below 6k when you shut the throttle off it will pop a flame 3-4 inches, you can set the sensitivity & the loud, it’s completely retarded but I can’t stop Smiling

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My exhaust (zoom) is loud but I rather be annoying so cars can hear me then ran over riding a 2 wheel Tesla, y’all think the exhaust is loud buy a aRacer mini 5 and set the backfire mode up, anything below 6k when you shut the throttle off it will pop a flame 3-4 inches, you can set the sensitivity & the loud, it’s completely retarded but I can’t stop Smiling
For me it's not even about being annoying, although I wouldn't want to be that either. A year later, I still stand by my choice of going back to stock exhaust. Stock isn't really even that quiet if you're actually riding it, it just doesn't sound like a monster super-moto that everyone imagines when they think of sports bikes or motorcycles in general. If someone can't see my ultra bright red, blue and gold Z, then chances are they're not going to hear me either and even if they do, by that point it's probably too late.

I can't emphasize enough regarding my right ear 'hearing' that hasn't been the same since and for that reason alone I fully regret even bothering with it in the first place. I did ride with ear plugs in after the initial few rides with it on but the damage was already done by that point I guess and even with plugs in, it was still so absurdly loud it was probably still causing damage for the month that I had it on and was riding it. I'm not sure what the other brands are like in regards to loudness but I'm guessing they're close to or on par with what I had.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If someone can't see my ultra bright red, blue and gold Z, then chances are they're not going to hear me either and even if they do, by that point it's probably too late.
Agreed. These bikes are so small and we look so goofy riding them that they are a pattern break. Meaning other driver's subconscious visual scanning latches on to you to try to identify what's there. You don't slip under the radar the same way a lowered Miata would.

That said passing people is when I wish I made more noise, even if you pin the throttle it might take you 2-3 seconds to move through someone's blind spot. In traffic you may not be able to safely leave someone's blind spot. It's just like riding any other bike with the exception that if you need to get away from a bad driver you can't just crack the throttle and be gone, you have to be the bigger man and hit the brakes or take the next turn.

Most arguments for loud pipes can be negated by not allowing yourself to get placed in a position in which a loud pipe is your only salvation. Always have an exit plan people.

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I was taking my motorcycle course to get my endorsement, I remember our instructor was asking us ways we can make ourselves more "visible" to other motorists on the road. One student suggested louder exhaust and the instructor said yes, that can help but he also told us that exhaust is pointed behind you so to be aware that most of the noise is going to the cars that are already behind you, not cars that are in front or on-coming. I thought this made sense, and he was a Harley Davidson rider so I don't think he had anything against making noise.

That being said, I am on stock exhaust and I quite like the factory exhaust. Riding around town it is very quiet and easy to live with, but when I gas it at higher RPM's it makes a very nice tone and it doesn't drone to me when I'm cruising at 40mph.

You have to keep in mind that when we cruising at 40MPH, we are doing 6K RPM and that is a screaming motor so choose your aftermarket exhausts carefully lol. I may explore an aftermarket exhaust once I have paid off my bike as well just to have some fun.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts