Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who have purchased and installed an aftermarket exhaust, I'm curious to know how many have ultimately decided to revert back to stock?

I decided to pull the trigger last month and get the Anodizing Motoo exhaust for the Z because it was affordable and had favorable reviews online about the exhaust note. A buddy has the Zoom exhaust installed and I always felt it was too loud, which is why I went an alternate path and remained hesitant to begin with. While the Motoo version definitely has a lower sounding tone (it actually sounds really good) and doesn't share the same raspy sound a few others I've encountered do, I'm starting to feel it's just overall too loud unfortunately.

It's funny because I was just mentioning in another thread why some people wear ear plugs while riding the Z, mind you this is with a stock exhaust. It never has bothered me. The new one sounds like a hornet on steroids and I tend to ride higher in the mid 40s to 50s majority of the time so the buzz is definitely strong with this one. After riding with one ear plug in on the right side (as it doesn't seem to affect my left so much) it's still over powering and seems to become unpleasant rather quickly if I'm riding longer distances. I've put about 150 miles on since I've installed it and this is with the baffle in.

I'm so torn. Riding in a group with a slew of others it just makes sense and is fun to have the sound plus people can really tell you're present so no worries there... but for the longer distances out in the back roads solo and wanting to enjoy the subtle relaxing tunes I enjoy while doing so (the likes of Brian Eno, Aphex Twin, etc.) this definitely just kills it all.

If only I could have the best of both worlds...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
If only I could have the best of both worlds...
10 cent muffler mod Really is the best of both worlds. I would absolutely put mine back on if I didn't need the ground clearance

Yes... I hate my obnoxious loud FMF and wear ear plugs :frown2:

Attachments

Reactions: MindThreat

·
Registered
872 Posts
I am exceptionally happy that someone else is thinking that noise is a problem! It has it's place, but that place is not on the street a 5am waking people up. I have never really been a fan of a loud exhaust on the street, I like stealth better.

On the track is something different, noise reduction almost always leads to power reduction or weight gain. When the goal is to go as fast as possible, the noise needs to come up and weight removed. Though it is odd to see a bunch of stock class Z or Grom out on the track, and how quiet things are as they go around.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'm a bit conflicted on this topic. My daily driver car has straight pipes, and will get shouty at WOT, but I'm sitting at 2800 RPM (or less) 90% of the time and it's hardly louder than a "normal" car. But it sounds good.

Conversely the Z is pretty quiet overall, but to ride the same roads at the same speed as I would in my car, it makes a lot more noise, and it isn't good noise, it's buzzy awkward noise.

I would love to make my Z sound like it has some balls, but if 90% of my riding is at 90% throttle that's just way too much noise for me, my wife riding with me, the cagers sharing the road, and definitely the people on the sidewalk. Forget it. I'm sticking with the annoyingly angry sewing machine.

I think we all listen to these YouTube videos of 125s with pipes and they sound amazing at idle, and pretty dang good when you blip the throttle, but the reality of riding an 8HP bike on the streets is that 6,000 RPM is considered low.

·
Registered
759 Posts
It has it's place, but that place is not on the street a 5am waking people up. .

Easy solution is finding a job with better hours...

But in all seriousness, I haven't ridden a Z with a stock exhaust. Yeah, my Zoom loop is a little on the loud side when flogged... but at idle, it's still quieter than my wife's Honda Magna with stock pipes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
No way I could go back to stock, I don't find my Pro Circuit too loud, in fact I really like the note.

Actually there are no mods I have done that I would consider reversing, some are much better value for money in relation to what they add but my modded Z is awesome.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can definitely tell my hearing is negatively affected even after a short 20-30 minute country ride. I'm going to try the earplug route as I have some custom molded plugs for shooting. This is with the m4 with shipped silencer. I definitely do not like the stock scooter sound, and love the looks of the m4, so it will probably be just the nature of the beast for me. I always try to sneak out of the neighborhood if I go out early.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Something is really odd acoustically with these little bikes. I've had Cobra F1s and pods on a Ninja 250r, a Muzzy full system with pods on an EX500, and most recently a full Delkevic system on an XJ600S... they all sounded great, no problems on long rides. Especially the Delkevic system... 4 into 1 with a 14" carbon fiber can... really nice sound. But the Z! Man...

I had to remove DIY intake cause the thing was stupid loud. The zoom loop came off for the same reason. I've had an aftermarket baffle and some muffler packing material sitting next to it on my bench for several months, waiting it's turn in my project list. I'll report on how that goes... but in the mean time I am very happy with the 10 cent mod. If stock is a 1 and zoom loop is a 10, the ten cent mod is probably a 3.5-4. I would love maybe a 6.

It would be maybe tolerable for city only, short rides, but I take mine out for 100 mile+ cruises on the weekend, with the throttle pinned 90% of the time, and the noise is just too much with unadulterated zoom.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can definitely tell my hearing is negatively affected even after a short 20-30 minute country ride. I'm going to try the earplug route as I have some custom molded plugs for shooting. This is with the m4 with shipped silencer. I definitely do not like the stock scooter sound, and love the looks of the m4, so it will probably be just the nature of the beast for me. I always try to sneak out of the neighborhood if I go out early.

Yeah, if you're not ripping the throttle, you can get out of the neighborhood without creating too much acoustic chaos. At least with the Motoo, I can't speak for the other exhausts. I do a lot of music-related studio stuff so I can't see the sacrifice being worth it, despite my love of the looks and sound in short bursts.

And to think, that's with the baffle in...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Something is really odd acoustically with these little bikes. I've had Cobra F1s and pods on a Ninja 250r, a Muzzy full system with pods on an EX500, and most recently a full Delkevic system on an XJ600S... they all sounded great, no problems on long rides. Especially the Delkevic system... 4 into 1 with a 14" carbon fiber can... really nice sound. But the Z! Man...

I had to remove DIY intake cause the thing was stupid loud. The zoom loop came off for the same reason. I've had an aftermarket baffle and some muffler packing material sitting next to it on my bench for several months, waiting it's turn in my project list. I'll report on how that goes... but in the mean time I am very happy with the 10 cent mod. If stock is a 1 and zoom loop is a 10, the ten cent mod is probably a 3.5-4. I would love maybe a 6.

It would be maybe tolerable for city only, short rides, but I take mine out for 100 mile+ cruises on the weekend, with the throttle pinned 90% of the time, and the noise is just too much with unadulterated zoom.

Yeah, my problem exactly. It's easy to do 100+ miles on the Z on any given nice day. Interested to hear how your muffler packing material turns out. If that could be an option for the Motoo, I may be able to keep it, but I'm guessing exhaust specific and probably unlikely.

·
Registered
368 Posts
...but I'm guessing exhaust specific and probably unlikely.
I measured pipe diameter and got a generic baffle (actually 2 cause the sizes were in between) for like 6 bucks a piece. Wouldn't be surprised if you could do something similar on any exhaust... the baffles I found are about 8" long so as long as you don't have any crazy bends it should be ok.

Still not 100% sure how I will install. The clearances at the end of the tail pipe (ie pipe diameter) are a pretty good match for my baffle, so a couple set screws maybe. The end closer to the motor floats pretty free in the pipe. If I wrap the baffle with muffler packing there will be more of a friction fit but I am afraid that over time it could settle and the exhaust stream would bypass the packing. Tough to explain without any pics.

Alternatively if it works out I could just tack it in place with the welder and worry about getting it out when it is time to repack, hopefully after several thousand miles. I'll let you know how it works out, most likely will happen next weekend.

The XJS needs a little fine tuning (leaky gas tank yikes) but hope to have that whole project wrapped up this weekend... then I'll spend some time with the Z (compression test, re-thread or heli-coil spark plug hole... thanks for cross threading it for me Kawi... and then exhaust playtime). I put a stainless front line on last weekend and haven't even test rode it yet.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Alternatively if it works out I could just tack it in place with the welder and worry about getting it out when it is time to repack, hopefully after several thousand miles.
Looking at a pic of the ZoOM Loop muffler I suspect you could drill out the rivets on the open end of the can, tack some nuts in place on the inside of the cap, and reinstall with some fancy cap screws. Then you can do a thorough job welding the baffle in place and still be able to service the packing in a couple of minutes.

Again, tough without visuals, but it seems feasible from what you've described.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Zoom loop comes with a baffle that gets inserted in the header side of the can. No reason you cant tack a quieter baffle to that. I've got a Zoom Brute waiting to be installed (still). Hoping that with both baffles installed, it will be that 6 or 7 that @MrEvilpirate is looking for.

·
Registered
551 Posts
My Z125 only ever sees track so I wasn't too concerned about how loud it was. And even if exhaust plus tuner only got me 1 or 1.5 more hp, sheesh I'll take what little I can get hahah.

Every exhaust I've ever put on a bike in the last 10 years has been for 1 reason: HP. But it's all track and race bikes. More noise has just been a negative side effect.

But for my recent street bikes, I'm not in a mad rush to put on an aftermarket exhaust. My Ninja 1000 stayed stock and my Ducati stayed stock too. Both were pleasant to listen to with the Ducati substantially louder and deeper.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put a zoom brute on my Z last night, it came with a baffle installed, rode it around the neighborhood, I did not get it over 6 grand did not sound too loud to me but then I have a competition werkes on my m1200, sounds awesome if you like loud.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put a zoom brute on my Z last night, it came with a baffle installed, rode it around the neighborhood, I did not get it over 6 grand did not sound too loud to me but then I have a competition werkes on my m1200, sounds awesome if you like loud.
I was out earlier and rode for a few hours (ear plug in) with the intent to ride in the least aggressive way possible. Normally I’m always on it, go as fast as possibly and quickly as possible.

It was far more bearable keeping it under 6k and shifting earlier faster and mostly under 45mph. Quick to change once you hit 50 and have to get on it a bit but overall with cruising in mind, it was much better.

I’m still leaning toward removing it before longer rides though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This kind of stuff is what people don't think about when they see all those videos of exhausts. IE the Z125 is pinned 90% of the time for most people riding these.

I really want to install a Yoshi exhaust for HP and note but now after reading this thread I'm having second thoughts. I've always found the sound of the stock Z tolerable at high RPMs. Is an aftermarket exhaust with a silencer really that much worse? Makes me wonder...

I guess people are starting to see the down points in these mods in the forums that people on Youtube don't mention.

Anyone with the Yoshi have bad experience with too much noise? What about with the silencer? On a scale of 1 - 10? Is it at least tolerable at say 7k RPM without ear plugs?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts