Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. The Mama Kaw owner's manual break in guidance, over 40 years old I might add, is a bunch of rubbish for the little Z ("no more than 4K rpm's until 600 miles......." yawdy yawdy yawdy). And IMHO has always been about mitigating warranty claims. That too a bunch of rubbish.

So, what have you mini hooligans been practicing for "break in" upon taking delivery of your Z125? Follow the owner's manual? Or: turn the key; push the button; and then WFO after that?

Registered
I rode and continue to ride the piss out of it. I have to rev over 6k where I live or I will get hit.

But I didnt and still don't keep it wrapped out for too long.

Registered
I stayed at or under 7-8k rpms for the first 100 miles then changed the oil. From 100-500 miles it was varying rpms up to red line but never kept it at 9-10k rpms for very long aka no highways. I changed the oil again at 500 miles, I will only stay on highways for maybe 5-10 miles max before I'll get off. After I hit 1k miles I wont worry how long I'm cruising at 10k rpms. I also plan on changing the oil every 500-600 miles as I'm always running it 7-10k rpms, and the fact that its so cheap to change it.

Premium Member
From a rider perspective completely unrelated to the company (do not take this as advice or standards) BUT we rang the **** out of ours and put it under a bunch of "real-world" riding conditions until 950 miles. At 950 we did the VERY FIRST oil change and this bike is still performing great. It gets up to 65ish with ease and we've had it hit the rev limiter a few times. It's also seen the track a handful of times so there's that.

Please note we like to break things and fix them so please do not take this as advice or anything of the like. This was what we did on a rider standpoint and we do not recommend anyone following our break-in procedure. We are not responsible for damages to your bike. :)

Registered
From a rider perspective completely unrelated to the company (do not take this as advice or standards) BUT we rang the **** out of ours and put it under a bunch of "real-world" riding conditions until 950 miles. At 950 we did the VERY FIRST oil change and this bike is still performing great. It gets up to 65ish with ease and we've had it hit the rev limiter a few times. It's also seen the track a handful of times so there's that.

Please note we like to break things and fix them so please do not take this as advice or anything of the like. This was what we did on a rider standpoint and we do not recommend anyone following our break-in procedure. We are not responsible for damages to your bike. :)
A most excellent use of the "Don't try this at home" warning.

Premium Member
A most excellent use of the "Don't try this at home" warning.
Absolutely! We don't want angry Z owners showing up at the shop saying we told them to try this because we did it. Haha!

PLEASE FOLLOW THE PROPER BREAK-IN PROCEDURE PER THE DEALERS INSTRUCTIONS/OWNERS MANUAL.

(That should protect us completely) :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I plan to ride it and break it in the way I plan.............well...............to ride it. And a 4 year extended warranty is only $300 from the dealer I bought lil' Pepe from.

EDIT: I'm only doing it this way cuz I was told to do it this way. Hmmmm. Now..........who told me????? Hmmmm. Who???????

Registered
1. Ride the piss out of it.
2. Change the oil at 600 miles.
3. Ride the piss out of it for 3500.
4. Change the oil
5. Go to 3

Kawasaki's "break-in" procedure is impossible to maintain on this bike. Most will hit the rev limiter before it leaves the dealer's parking lot.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
The published Mama Kaw break in procedure is designed for one and one thing only: to minimize warranty claims that Mama Kaw will have to pay for.

Ever wonder why car manufacturers scare people into "needing" to change their timing belt at 75,000 miles when their warranty is for 100,000 miles? Yea. That's why.

Lil Pepe will be run/ridden/rode like a freshman at the Delta Delta Delta sorority!!!!

Registered
The published Mama Kaw break in procedure is designed for one and one thing only: to minimize warranty claims that Mama Kaw will have to pay for.

Ever wonder why car manufacturers scare people into "needing" to change their timing belt at 75,000 miles when their warranty is for 100,000 miles? Yea. That's why.

Lil Pepe will be run/ridden/rode like a freshman at the Delta Delta Delta sorority!!!!
Yeehaw! Arriba!! Arriba!! 脕ndale!! 脕ndale!!

Registered
Who breaks in things lol. I beat the sh*t out of it after 5 miles. Changed just oil at 50 to full syntec 20w50 castrol. 200 miles on it now and still rape it.

Reactions: homepc2

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Who breaks in things lol. I beat the sh*t out of it after 5 miles. Changed just oil at 50 to full syntec 20w50 castrol. 200 miles on it now and still rape it.
Hot dang. I'm at 4 miles (I work out of town during the work week) and should then be going "wheels up" either this afternoon or in the morning at which point we'll listen for the sweet song & sound of............wait for it..............almost here...............the rev limiter. :surprise:

Registered
I've just been riding it like I would any other day. Rev up to 9.5k and engine brake down. Run up and down gears on short tours, followed by low rpm loading in high gears just to give it a little of everything.

I just crossed 420 miles and only take back roads everywhere I go. However the hills in GA require sustained high rpm to just keep it at 35-45 mph on the up hills and I usually top out around 65 down hill (I weigh 230lbs). I feel it's getting a decent workout :)

Now that I'm over 400 miles, the smell of the break-in is getting less now. Also, might just be me adapting to the bike, but it feels like it's picking up the pace a little better than before.

Registered
I've just been riding it like I would any other day. Rev up to 9.5k and engine brake down. Run up and down gears on short tours, followed by low rpm loading in high gears just to give it a little of everything.

I just crossed 420 miles and only take back roads everywhere I go. However the hills in GA require sustained high rpm to just keep it at 35-45 mph on the up hills and I usually top out around 65 down hill (I weigh 230lbs). I feel it's getting a decent workout :)

Now that I'm over 400 miles, the smell of the break-in is getting less now. Also, might just be me adapting to the bike, but it feels like it's picking up the pace a little better than before.
This is how I have broke in all my bikes as well. My buddy just bought a R1 and did a wheelie out of the dealer lol

Registered
Did the hard break-in method, mineral oil + oil filter change at 3xx and another at 7xx km before the official 1000km one, put in semi-synthetic for the 1000km and the next will be fully synthetic. One of the most agonising break-in since the bike is SO slow. LoL.

Registered
For the first 100 miles I did my best to keep under 5k. Then did my best to keep under 6k. Changed oil at 300 miles to 20w50 and now just try to keep it under 7k. Still vary rpm. And I'll do another oil change at 600 miles and then again at 1000.

Registered
On the plus side if you keep the speeds between 6x-8x km/h you can crazy good mileage, I clocked 250 km for a full tank of fuel (RON 97). If you are full throttle zooming here and there, you can get close to 200 km roughly.

I just don't have the patience to ride slow.. I feel more at risk when slow, like any moment a stupid cager will mow me down.

Registered
Only hit Rev limiter once in my first 6 miles. I'll try to be nice to it the next 594, say 8 k or less and not hold at high rpm over a minute wot giving it some variation

1 - 20 of 20 Posts